World War 2 Evolution

Very much like the idea of doing w WWII skirmish with Battlefield EVO but I have one caveat prepainted figures. These are going to have to be very good to compete with what’s out there at the moment, and it might be a better bet to go the route you have with Victory at sea and stuck to doing the rules. As I have said before painting your own is very much part of the culture of the hobby and no matter how good pre paints are that is going to be a put off for many wargamers. I would also add that 20th-21st century figures aren’t that hard to paint unless you obsess about exact camo patterns etc which is a level of detail which would be over scale on any thing smaller that a 54mm figure

EvilGinger said:
As I have said before painting your own is very much part of the culture of the hobby

And it's not like prepainted prevents you from simply painting over...How hard is it to point spray can and spray new undercoat from which to work over?

Jeff Cope said:
Just so we're clear....

Will Mongoose be producing prepainted minis for WWII:Evo, or is this a project more along the lines of Victory at Sea where no minis are being made?

I'm hoping its the former. If its prepainted minis, I'm all in. If it's no minis or have to paint minis, I'm all out.

So, what are we looking at here?

Jeff

All Evolution games will come with pre-painted miniatures. that's the main reason the Evolution concept came into being here.

EvilGinger said:
Very much like the idea of doing w WWII skirmish with Battlefield EVO but I have one caveat prepainted figures. These are going to have to be very good to compete with what’s out there at the moment, and it might be a better bet to go the route you have with Victory at sea and stuck to doing the rules. As I have said before painting your own is very much part of the culture of the hobby and no matter how good pre paints are that is going to be a put off for many wargamers. I would also add that 20th-21st century figures aren’t that hard to paint unless you obsess about exact camo patterns etc which is a level of detail which would be over scale on any thing smaller that a 54mm figure

If you've seen the quality of our BF Evo ultra-modern minis you'll know we are hitting the ground running on quality, and you can rest assured this wil be sustained throughout any and all Evolution engine games.

Make it 12" then 6" as squad members seen to be my loose then the tight 4 man teams of today.

1.Maybe if out of command range you lose 1 out of 2 actions until you return

2.if men are spread out, the to suppress guys not units you place the firezone over the troops and its then that may lose 1 or 2 actions.
I`m watching band or brothers part 2, and 2 guys are in cover shooting at a MG42 team, and they are returning fire, also the men seem to spread far apart ( 12" ) and doing their own thing to keep alive.

3.Smgs cause 1 suppressen, so if i guy shoots my guy with a mp40 and misses my target number, i lose 1 action next turn, keeping my head down, this would help with fire and move etc..?

4.Special actions as i said before, if you unit pins down another unit, a special action could be to move and flank etc..?

5. one action could be fire and move, being a -1 to shooting that turn, and that you must be moving and not in cover.

Thats all, back to band of brothers

All Evolution games will come with pre-painted miniatures. that's the main reason the Evolution concept came into being here

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :!: :?: :!: :?: :shock: :!: :?: :shock: :!: :?: :!: :shock: :shock:

TabletopWarrior said:
*snip*
U.S. WWII ARMORED INFANTRY SQUAD

Team 1: Sergeant w/ Thompson SMG, 3 riflemen w/ M-1 Garand Rifle, Gunner w/ BAR

Team 2: Corporal w/ Thompson SMG, 3 riflemen w/ M-1 Garand Rifle, Gunner w/ BAR

Size 1 Move 4" Close Combat 2xD6 Target 4+ Armour - Kill 6+

Squad

(Side 2)

Thompson SMG
Range 10" Damage 2D6

M-1 Garand Rifle
Range 25" Damage D6

Browning Automatic Rifle (BAR)
Range 30" Damage 2xD6

Fire Teams
Team 2 may be split off from the section to act as an independent unit with the Corporal acting as unit leader. This may be done before the start of the battle or at the beginning of any turn.

BAR
If a Ready action is taken to set this weapon up properly (lie prone, extend tripod, etc.) then all subsequent Shoot actions will gain one bonus Damage Dice though it may only shoot in its forward facing. This bonus dice is lost as soon as the model moves. In addition, every Damage Dice the weapon rolls counts as two for the purpose of Suppression only."

TW

Okay first post here.
just a little addition to the US Armored Infantry Squad.
A "normal" Infantry Squad had none LMG in their midst. They were equipped with a mixture of M1-Garand and Tommy Guns (I think, thats what with BAR is meant). And I don't think, that the BAR can be set-up like a LMG.

The standard LMG of the US forces during WWII was the air-cooled version of the water cooled 1917 hmg, labeled 1919 lmg.
In an Armored Infantry Platoon, there were 2 Infantry Squads (12 men each + Driver), 1 LMG Squad with 2 1919LMG and a mortar Squad with the M1 60mm Mortar, in addition, every Squad had 1 Bazooka for the AT Role.

For a WWII Skirmish Game, I would suggest American Paratroopers. Due to Band of Brothers, they would sell nicely (Easy Companie anyone? ;) ).

A normal Paratrooper Squad consisted of 15 men (one Stick), with one 1919LMG and a good mixture of BAR's and M1-Garand.

RE: US Squad

Thompson guns were often substituted with "grease guns" (the M3 SMG).
2 BARs was not standard, but was common.

And didn't a normal US squad have 12 guys not 10? Is it just me who thinks this?

Rifle fired grenades, satchel charges and a springfield with sight are all options though.

I thought a U.S. Rifle Squad from an U.S. Infantry Regiment had a different Table of Organization than the U.S. Armored Rifle squad from the Armored Rifle Regiment of a U.S. Armored Division. But I am using secondary sources and have not done the research myself.
TW

My internet research regarding the BAR shows U.S. forces started issuing additional BARs after the Normandy landings after finding they were being outgunned by the Germans. However, while a bipod was introduced, it was not very popular. Since it was both heavy and removeable, U.S. GIs typically left the bipod behind.

So I guess the BAR should NOT be able to use a ready action to increase firepower.

TW

Ben2: Rifle fired grenades, satchel charges and a springfield with sight are all options though.

Can you tell me a little more about this? What kinds of options would you suggest? How many? What should they be able to do?

TW

The BAR is pretty much an oversized assault rifle, rather than a dedicated LMG. Regular infantry squads did receive them as standard issue, and they were liked well enough. Stuck around untill after Korea too.

US infantry did have 12 men in a squad. Marines pioneered the real fireteam concept (3 groups of 4, each with a BAR and a rifle grenade launcher).

SMG's were rather rare in US forces, even amongst para troops and other "special" units. They were never issued to the same quantities as German and (particularly) Soviet forces. Possibly due to their rifle being as good as it was. While not technically a front line weapon, it wouldnt be unusual to find M1 carbines scattered around, as some soldiers liked them, and would acquire them, whenever possible.

Bazooka's were, at least for infantry, allocated at Platoon level, according to most books I recall. Its possible they were technically allocated 3 to a company, as with German AT rifles and Panzerschreck, and just got allocated to the platoons as a formality.

Rifle fired grenades - this was a grenade attached to an M1 rifle and fired. Basically a primitive grenade launcher. Useless against tanks, but great against infantry, particularly if you put it through a window into a room they were in.

Springfield rifle with sight = sniper rifle.

Satchel charge - a bomb in a satchel - good for tanks, demolition, infantry, making a big hole in something.

tneva82 said:
EvilGinger said:
As I have said before painting your own is very much part of the culture of the hobby

And it's not like prepainted prevents you from simply painting over...How hard is it to point spray can and spray new undercoat from which to work over?

It is not, though I don’t use spray paint there is an issue at least potentially about obscuring detail and the interaction between my over painting and the prepaint coats. Over painting is something I would prefer not to do as a mater of course. Then there is the issue of paying £20 for something I can get for £7-8.

That trust I will put off historical FBW’s something chronic trust me. I make a living painting and the number who look at me sideways for trying to charge them £1.50 to paint a 25mm figure and react as if I had just run off with there beloved. Not that most of them have had more than visual contact with either the opposite or the same sex devoutly I hope

EvilGinger said:
These are going to have to be very good to compete with what’s out there at the moment, and it might be a better bet to go the route you have with Victory at sea and stuck to doing the rules.

This would not be a good idea for Mongoose. Miniature companies make their money from miniatures, not just producing rulesets. As for the quality, it definitely looks like it will be there from what we have seen. In fact, the quality is much better than most paint jobs I have seen on a table top before.

EvilGinger said:
As I have said before painting your own is very much part of the culture of the hobby and no matter how good pre paints are that is going to be a put off for many wargamers.

I agree that painting is part of the culture of the hobby, which makes it that much harder for some people to get in to. Either lack of time or skill prevents a number of people from getting into miniature games. While there will be people that refuse to play the games because of the pre-paints, there will also be a number of people that are able to start playing the games for the same reason. Six of one, half dozen of the other.

I have been painting miniatures for years. But I am looking forward to these prepaints. From what I have seen in the previews, most of the work is already done. I can focus on the details, if I so choose. And if I don't feel like it, they are still painted. What I don't like, is playing games with folks who can't be bothered to paint their miniatures. Miniature gaming is visual. The effort (or money) a player puts into painting his miniatures makes for a better game for all involved.

Prepainted miniatures will allow more fully-painted armies to make it to the gaming table. I think that is a good thing.

TW

Back