World War 2 Evolution

I dont mind prepainted stuff, though I'd rather buy un painted, as I like to personalize things. What I do mind is collectible, and soft, bendy shitplastic (tm)

And luckily this will be neither of those two things, so happy days

Well tbh collectible is fine imho as long as you have a few friends also getting into any such game that you can trade with, otherwise you end up spending FAR too much to get the stuff you want.

As you say though you can buy singles in alot of places though that DOES usually end up costing a similarly huge fortune if you want the rarer items.

And the bendy shite-plastic isnt that bad tbh, 5 minutes with a kettle or a hairdryer can usually straighten them out and Id MUCH rather that than non bendy snapped in the box plasic that I then have to glue back together (though tbh I REALLY would prefer 'proper' sprue mounter bits that I can assemble and paint anyway.

I guess my point is just that collectible games are not all bad, it just the fact that they cost so damned much :(

see the problem is when you try to build an army that makes sense. Take the axis and allies mini's game f.x. If I want to build a German army, I dont want to have to buy a package, find it contains only italians, french and 1944 soviets, and then have to trade for my Germans.

The whole point of prepainted stuff is that its fast and convenient. If its not actually fast nor convenient, I vote with my wallet :)

I don't know if this has been touched already, but WW2 Evo will have the same problem as a possible Vietnam variant. There are actually two sides (Axis and Allies). Sure you can get a lot of different nationalities but you won't see American and Soviet forces fighting it out (in that game, anyway). Granted if you play Americans you can play against Germans, Japanese and Italians but I am pretty sure you got my point.

Fortunately BFE will have 4 different factions and each of them can be played agains each other without breaking the setting.

Its called hypothetical scenarios! Its very easy to imagine the US or UK fighting against the Soviets... granted it would be rare to see US against UK, but many of the alliances changed throught the war, and many others shortly thereafter.

Then you just have tournament/quick game type play where realism matters none.

Anyway platoon lists that I'd want to see in WWII:Evo (to start with, I'd like to see almost everything eventually).

US: Rifle, Airborne, Armored, Tank.
UK: Rifle, Airborne, Tank.
German: Volksgrenadier, Panzergrenadier (Armored), Panzergrenadier (Motorized), Fallshimjager, and Panzer.
Soviet: Strelkovy (Conscript), Strelkovy (Gaurd), Tank (Conscript), Tank (Gaurd).

Of course some units would work in more than one platoon, IE US rifle models would be the same for Rifle and Armored Platoons h/e they should have different weapon options, and the armored platoon rides in halftracks. Also, some divisional assets (like AT guns, off-board artillary, and a tank [if playing an infantry platoon] or infantry [if playing a tank platoon]) would be available for each army (though maybe different for each unit, Airborne/Fallshimjager wouldn't have access to the same things as a Tank company)

Yes, that kind of hypothethical scenarios are one possibility and I don't know how alternate history the game will be anyway. But yes, that way it could work...

I dont see why having 2 sides is a problem. Given that the game can play with a small number of models, you can easily build both an axis and an allied force.

I don't know about the rest of the world but in my little neck of the asphalt Germans are so popular (they have the "kewl" tanks you know) that it's normally not a problem finding allies vs axis players. At least with 15mm FoW.

I expect 28mm WWII to be the same.*

If anything "blue on blue" German vs German is more of a "problem" than any "US vs UK" hypeothetical.

Any nationality fighting the same can be considered a training exercise. US vs UK is that as well. US/UK vs. Soviet is a very plausible what if, at least with late war forces.

It would be nice to have scenario books for platoon level games, btw. The current Skirmish Campaigns series work better (read: cheaper) with 15mm miniatures than 28mm. They seem very vehicle heavy and troop light.

*Disposable Heroes and Coffin For Seven Brothers is a point based Platoon level game I'm starting at my local game store E&E and plan on using that until this new game is released.

Yes, I didn't come to think this smaller force factor. That might solve the problem from my point of view. I didn't say anything about which side would be more popular, did I? :) Anyway, I would probably play Germans, too at least until I got my hands on some Finns (if ever).

yeah, Im hoping we'll see minor nations too, particularly Finn's, romanians, chinese (minor more because they are overlooked so much), norwegians, dutch etc

I'd be all about buying Finns. The only company I know that makes them in anything near 28mm is Battle Honors. But they're not really 28mm more like 25mm and frankly I don't like BH miniatures!

So I hope Mongoose gets around to making some Finnish troops. :D

However, I hope that MP finishes (no pun intended) any range they start, at least so we can buy full platoons. I'd rather not be left with unfinished (again about the pun) ranges like some current WWII miniatures mfgs currently offer. :evil:

Can we have Romanians too? After reading this book (Sniper on the Eastern Front), I have this over-whelming urge to mow hundreds of them down....

If were talking minor nations, I want a Hungarian light tank horde! Having like 9 Panzer 38(t)'s would be badass... well at least until someone shows up with a Tiger.

It's heart warming to see that there are other people outside Finland who would want to see Finn models, too (even if they just want to use them as an op force). Maybe we get a chance to get them then sometime in the future.

But yes, I agree. BFE out first and then let's see what the future holds...

From a marketing standpoint, I could see minor nations proving somewhat problematic. Would a box of Finns sell? Romanians? Sure, to a few who've expressed interest...but is there enough demand that such forces would sell enough to warrant production? I don't know.

Jeff

You'd be surprised I think. There has been an explosion of "minor nations" figures for 15mm WW2 which appear to be extremely popular (IIRC Peter Pig has just launched range of early WW2 Dutch, whilst deeming modern British as "not likely to sell very well")

Jeff Cope said:
From a marketing standpoint, I could see minor nations proving somewhat problematic. Would a box of Finns sell? Romanians? Sure, to a few who've expressed interest...but is there enough demand that such forces would sell enough to warrant production? I don't know.

Jeff

I think theyd sell better to the market as a whole than yet another release of the big 4 tbh.

hell,i'd kill to have 28mm polish 1939 cavalry models :lol: (and since they'd be rather unique it can even be pushed as a sensible release that adds something new to the game :wink: )hell,making one vech type(Vickers tank) and dismounted riders(so that there is classic inf) version would be all that was needed 8)

Back