World War 2 Evolution

Old Bear

Mongoose
Guys,

I am starting work on developing WW2 Evolution. In due course playtesting will of course be needed but in the interim if anybody wants to talk about it they can either do it here or email me at ibarstow@mongoosepublishing.com

Planned first four armies will be 1944 British, US, Russian and rather obviously, German.

HERE WE GO!

I have had a rather large amount of WWII game ideas myself, so I'll be happy to help in any way. I do possess some knowledge about the WWII after all.

Credit to Old Bear for doing this!

Between Battlefield Evolution, Conan and WWII, Mongoose is going to be getting my hobby dollars for a long time to come.

jmatrica said:
Between Battlefield Evolution, Conan and WWII, Mongoose is going to be getting my hobby dollars for a long time to come.

Amen to that! Mongoose could score big time in my household!

It shows huge confidence in the system and the prepaints to start on this before BF:Evo is even released. It's exciting to see Moongoose making positive moves.

Col_stone said:
yes:D
Will this kind of like be,, stalingrad then?

All that and more. The basic idea is to allow you to fight Stalingrad and Normandy battles from the outset. More units from other conflicts will be added as time goes on.

This is Old Bear's own project at the moment, but if you see a lot of aircraft appearing, you will know I have stuck my oar in :)

I'm 100% definitely interested.

I've already written some British 8th Army and Italian stuff (including the long Italian army essay I posted here ages ago), as well as starting to put together some ideas for something to play at my club "Battlefield:Revolution" which is interwar gaming. I've statted up a Russian Red army for civil war and done the organisational structure for the whites.

I can send all this stuff to you in the next day or two if you are interested, however the caveat is that it is balanced against Battlefield Evolution and SST evolution, so you can fight Bugs vs 8th Army.

I don't know if Mongoose want to make the ranges completely compatible, if they do, I have some definite ideas as to how to do it.

Don't forget the canadians this time around! Oh and just out of friendly critique why are all these new projects got evolution in their names?

Several things will need to be decided early in the process:

Scale - 28mm at a guess?

Compatibility - do you want it to be compatible with SST and BF:Evo?

Level of engagements - platoon plus supporting vehicles or company? Or both depending on what you want to spend?

Well good news...but:

1. Decent sculptors please. Historical sculptors are cheaper than sci-fi/fantasy ones. I'd suggest Mike Owen (god yes!), Richard Ansell, Paul Hicks, Adam unpronouncable second name (he's one of the bolt action miniatures sculptors). Basicly hire the the sculptors of Brigades (US) Pacwar and Ends of the Earth team, the whole Artizan team, the Crusader team, the Bolt Action Miniatures team etc.
2. Make it true 28mm. Please. For the love of God.
3. Make sure the Rules can take on "Nuts", "Rapid Fire", "Operation Overlord" etc.

I'm chuffed.

It will be based on BF:Evo, so the rules are better at skirmish and company level than OO and Rapid Fire. I've played all three and I know which one I'd pick.

Just an idea, but wouldn't it be more interesting to set up in the Pacific? I mean, the whole Europe/North Africa thing has been done by just about everyone and their dog.

The Pacific would give you Americans, Brits/ANZAC, Japanese, Chinese, heaps of interesting local troops, and that's just for starters. In spite of popular belief, all of these forces made ample use of armour - especially light armour which could be used in a 28mm game very well without stretching things the way a Pershing or a King Tiger would. The Pacific has interesting beach landings a plenty (I've been up the Dog One Exit in so many different games, I could find my way around blindfolded when I actually visited the place), and a quick scratch of research will show that terrain in the Pacific is a LOT more varied than "steaming jungle".

An "island hopping" campaign system would practically write itself, not to mention it could seamlessly accomodate naval battles fought using Victory at Sea.

And you get to use nukes :twisted:

OK, so maybe nukes are a bit far fetched for a 28mm scale game (cough, cough), but seriously, the Pacific is badly underdeveloped in terms of gaming systems and miniatures and WWII:Evo would be the *perfect* opportunity to fix it. Note also that the Pacific is starting to pick up a little more public attention now that Clint Eastwood is making movies of it, and HBO's follow-up to Band of Brothers will be set in the Pacific too... Catch the wave early!

The Japanese certainly deployed some interesting tanks, and the Australians were still using Matilda IIs in the late war. Certainly an interesting period. You could split it into 4 distinct areas, early war europe, North Africa, late war Europe and Russia and the Pacific.

I too would love to see Pacific campaign, particuarly with the 14th army who have been pretty much totally ignored.

That said Africa (not just the north) and the Middle East would be great too.

Back