What Have You Painted Today??

Arch Lector Petrovski said:
In my down time between essays, or just when all the words are finally blurring together, I've been continuing my efforts to get some completely painted fleets for ACTA:B5. Lately that's meant White Stars and plenty of them, which I think have one of the complicated paint schemes due to their semi-biological nature. So, what do you reckon?
Nice work on the White Stars of all sizes. Yes, the organic hull does present a challenge for painting! Interesting starfield bases, too.

Hurr Gunship

This is something different for me, since all my other models are ships which appeared on screen. It's the next best thing, though. Luc Mayrand, who designed some of the ships for late series "Babylon 5" and "Crusade", also drew up ships for the computer game "Into The Fire". When the game company ran into financial trouble the game was cancelled, but you can still see the original sketches and some screen images. The Mongoose model looks pretty close to the screen version though there are some differences on the nose; the original has side plates and does not have the windows. I modified my model accordingly and also filled in the big gap between the nose and middle sections.

I had hoped to use the Hurr Gunship as part of a League of Non-Aligned Worlds fleet, until I noticed its ISD is 2263, making it illegal as of P&P. Not to worry, though; it can form up with my Drazi ships to create a small but usable pak'ma'ra group.

basaint said:
That's paint right, not a sticker or transfer?

Yep, all painted, the 'jigsaw' fighter bases on the earlier pictures too. Used to find transfers a bit of a pain, used to crack and fall off, so I generally go with painting instead. It takes a bit more time but it means you can get roguhly what you want image wise.

Well been painting pretty well only star ships over the last few years but took a break this week to paint a figure for a very good friend of mine.

Techniques a bit rusty, but got there in the end. hopefully;

Oh and decided such a well armed lady deserved a custom base.

Copy1.jpg

Copy2.jpg

Copy3.jpg

Oh and the B5 connection is clearly the third space alien just emerging from the he drain :lol:

Its truely a lovely piece - great work and the tenticled horror is a striking touch

"Don't you open that trapdoor!"

Not exactly new, but I got the opportunity to put my entire EA 3rd Age fleet out for a photo shoot, so here it is.

All but the Olympuses have names. The Warlock is Titans, the Omegas are Vesta (left in the photo with orange tips to the antennae) and Agamemnon. The Nova is Schwarzkopf and the Explorer is Cortez. Perhaps the worrying thing is I can identify the Hyperions due to minor differences. In the lead is Hyperion (Iron Winds model with a smaller, more accurately proportioned bridge). To its right in the photo is Prometheus (stem glued directly into lower turrets); behind that is Lexington (large mounting block under the turrets). On the other side of the formation are Clarkstown (pivot mount glued under the turrets) and Aegean (not clear in this photo is the bow number 38, every other Hyperion appeared on screen with bow number 21).

cool ea third age fleet. 8) i recently completed all three ea fleets and two minbari fleet, one a first shadow war fleet, just need to paint and show pics.

Thanks for the compliments!

The Hyperions had a bit more surgery than just the antennae. These are the old Mongoose style with the angled bow. The ship as seen on screen has a squared off bow. (For some reason, when Iron Winds created a new mould for their Hyperion, they based it on the old version with the angled bow rather than Mongoose's later model with a correct bow.) So I filed down the bow to remove the angle, then extended it back to the right length by wrapping a strip of paper around the bow. The paper was reinforced with thin CA, then the ridge where the edge of the paper met the bare metal hull was filled. Not only did this give the ship a more accurate profile, it also provided a good mounting point for the antennae.

And the mid sections on the Omegas rotate. You can find instructions on how to do that here.

@bluebirds40: what's the difference between a first Shadow war fleet and a regular Minbari fleet, apart from presumably the lack of Sharlins?

Nice fleet AdrianH.

Good to see a well painted Explorer as well.

Always been meaning to scratch build one more in scale, even bought some girder struts some time back.

@bluebirds40: what's the difference between a first Shadow war fleet and a regular Minbari fleet, apart from presumably the lack of Sharlins?[/quote]

the first shadow war fleet is made up of 16 tinashi's and several kit bash early war and attack cruisers. the regual minbari fleet is just over 40 ships from b-3 neroon heavy cruiser, ashinati frigate and aog and mongoose line. all ships is full scale.

I am working on some Narn miniatures.

Some Dag' Kars. The one in the blue is the first one I did , and the one in the green is the second. I think the green looks a little better.

These are really close shots they look a little better a little farther away.

DSCN4685.jpg

cool ships, great job on painting them, i just pick up full scale 6 g'quan heavy cruisers, one t'loth assualt cruiser and one bin tak dreadnought.

what type of paints did you use?

My old Games Workshop paints, and some AD&D paints from about 20 years ago lol. AD&D aged metal, GW Ruby Red, Skull White, Dark Angels green for the one, Enchanted Blue for the other, and walmart Americana for the black wash. I just mixed about 5parts to one part with water for the black wash.

Back