What do YOU think the new licences are?

The "Old Guard" part just screamed grognard and that spells Traveller.

MaxSteiner said:
Fallouts definatly the hottest thing up for grabs 8)
And the 3rd game isn't even out, imagine how popular it'll be then lol.

I should also note it is now confirmed that there WILL be a Fallout MMO as well as Fallout 3, apparently Interplay didnt sell all the license to Bethesda, just most of it. So absolutely spankingly awesome news! A PnP RPG to finsih it off would be the final gleeful nail in my vault of pipboy happiness.

It's obvious.
They've renewed their Judge Dredd liscence, it's been so long they've done anything with it.

*Sarcasm intended*

:?

Neo said:
I should also note it is now confirmed that there WILL be a Fallout MMO as well as Fallout 3, apparently Interplay didnt sell all the license to Bethesda, just most of it. So absolutely spankingly awesome news! A PnP RPG to finsih it off would be the final gleeful nail in my vault of pipboy happiness.

I'll probably not by that Fallout MMO, but Fallout 3 already has a slot in my budget! And I do hope for a PnP RPG based on Fallout. You'd think that if Mongoose got the license, they'd be set for life (well, at least they'd make something!).

"War... War never changes!"

Mongoose Gar said:
I leaked that the new license was Bunnies and Burrows a few days before the Open Day. We were going to use the same engine for Aliens.

Are you going to do Aliens or is it just a cruel, cruel joke? :shock:

Rob_alderman said:
It's obvious.
They've renewed their Judge Dredd liscence, it's been so long they've done anything with it.

*Sarcasm intended*

:?

Yeah, Dredd would also rock but somehow I think that it is a long way coming because it is sort of hard game to run and relies heavily on the knowledge of the comics.

Mongoose Gar said:
While you should be able to do a pretty good Aliens mod for the new Traveller ruleset... it was a cruel, cruel joke.

Damn! I knew it, although I hoped that I was wrong :(

Anyway, if I can create a good MilSciFi game with new Traveller ruleset (where PCs are actually in danger when in combat) then that's fine by me.

If Mongoose's Traveller is anything like any of the past version of Traveller, you will get your wish SnowDog; and the Mongoose people have said that it will be based on Classic Traveller.

I have very high hopes for Mongoose's work in this area.

Yes, I have understood that every incarnation (so far) of the Traveller has been more or less focused on military (or mercs). TNE was almost exclusively so and that is the only version that I have actually run (or played).

In the original Classic Traveller, there were only 6 career paths:
Navy (Space Navy)
Marines
Army
Scouts (Space Explorers)
Merchants (Space Merchants)
Others (usually criminals)

It was VERY militaristic in the BACKGROUND of the characters. BUT, most of the games I played and GM'd were merchant based. Most of the characters had a military background but were now trying to make it in the real world(s).

OK. I had an impression that CT was pretty militaristic in emphasis but Merchant Prince book expanded the trader aspect of the game. Right?

SnowDog said:
OK. I had an impression that CT was pretty militaristic in emphasis but Merchant Prince book expanded the trader aspect of the game. Right?

Not quite, the post by RTT is dead on for the original three Little Black Book version of Classic Traveller. Books 4 to 7 just expanded each of the main classes (Book 4 = Army and Marines, Book 5 = Navy, Book 6 = Scout, Book 7 = Merchants).

From the first day, characters had rules for Personal Combat, Space Combat, Exploration and Trading and each group of players chose the path that suited their desires. So Traveller has always had the flexibility to support a "Military" game group while leaving the door open to support a "Let's explore beyond the frontier" game group or a "Tramp Freighter" (like Serenity) game group.

SnowDog said:

More correctly, merchant prince provided a (very different playing) alternative. More lots available for sale, but no base price differentials amongst them. This reduces the overall profit potential, but is simpler to play.

More lots available for sale also means easier filling of holds up to about 500 Td (of hold), since the number of lots for purchase, and the number for freight, are both on the same scale, as opposed to Bk2, where it was one cargo lot, and a variable number of freight lots.

Also, Bk7 provides a more detailed character generation process for merchants (Bk4 did this for Army and Marine, Bk5 for Navy, Bk6 for scouts).

T20, for reference, has a Bk2 style differentiated table, but has, like Bk7, multiple lots available for purchase (but ususally less than as freight).

Were there ever any psionics, or something like that in the setting/rules?

And any chance of a setting free scifi ruleset? For running our own scifi setting games...

Xex,

If you mean to ask if there were any psionics in Traveller then I can say yes. I think Zhodani race was (almost) completely psionic race but I am not entirely sure since I have played/run only TNE where Zhodani (and psionic rules) were not featured.

Back