What do YOU think the new licences are?

Poi

Mongoose
Planet Mongoose says we can look forward to some new licenses soon. Neither is the Holy Grail that Matt has mentioned before.

The first will use the RuneQuest system.

The second (possibly to be announced at the open day) will be a new system, for release in Feb 08.

The third is based on an upcoming computer game.

What do you think? What is Matt negotiating to get into print?

Off the top of my head, I am really hoping for Fallout. It's an upcoming video game and RPG to boot. I'd love a streamlined version of the SPECIAL system for tabletop use.

If not that, I seem to recall speculation about Halo as an RPG or wargame. It'd be cool, but I have a hard time envisioning Microsoft letting the license out of their hands. Though for all we know it could be Hello Kitty or Deer Hunter 97: More Mammals to Shoot...

Gabriel_Luna said:
Off the top of my head, I am really hoping for Fallout. It's an upcoming video game and RPG to boot. I'd love a streamlined version of the SPECIAL system for tabletop use.

There must be a conspiracy going on - you are the umpteenth person to mention Fallout. . .

Well it's just so GOOD. It's the first thing I always think of when someone says "RPG" and "video game" in the same sentence. I suspect I'm not alone in that.

Yeah, Matt has DEFINITELY heard the Fallout buzz from me and a few of the other guys on the payroll. I'm a massive fan, and with Fallout 3 coming around the corner...we think it would be a great license to look into.

Perhaps some more traffic and requests here can convince Matt it is a moneymaker...

(HINT HINT!)

:)

Bry

I'm all for Fallout.

Plus there is the Ken Rolston tie there.

An Elder Scrolls/Tamriel deal could not be far behind...

Mongoose Steele said:
Perhaps some more traffic and requests here can convince Matt it is a moneymaker...

(HINT HINT!)

:)

Bry

Well, you can have a hint from me. Fallout was one of the greatest computer RPGs I have ever played, right up there with Baldur's Gate and Serpent Isle. The 1950's inspired atmosphere made it stand out from other post-apocalyptic RPG's.

Fallout only covered the United States (West Coast IIRC, the East Coast will apparently feature in Fallout 3). The rest of that setting is ripe for exploration in sourcebooks. How about a 'full' copy of the Vault Dwellers Guide, allowing GM's to construct their own Vaults and populate them? Or maybe a miniatures skirmish game - 'gangs' of Vault Dwellers, Irradiated Ghouls, Mutants, Bandits, the Brotherhood of Steel, Village Militia...

I'll shut up now...

Chobbly

It has plenty of room to grow as a tabletop license. I can think of half a dozen books off the top of my head, and I'm sure it'd be a blast to write for as well as play in. I'd put it on my list right behind Babylon 5 books as "must buy". But then I've been a fan ever since the first game came out. I just love the unique tone, the retro 50's combined with gritty post apocalypse. It'd make quite a setting.

Hmm.. Worms? Ghost Recon? I give up. Anyway, can't wait to hear the official anouncement. But just to put the bug in Matt's ear. Fallout would be a very, very cool setting :)

A new rules system suggests that it's something RQ/d20 doesn't necessarily fit well, so I've got fingers crossed for Marvel and/or DC Superheroes.

Reading into things that may mean nothing, one could take the title of the blog post to imply a James Bond License was in the works.

Court Jester said:
A James Bong RPG to go with the first new James Bond novel in many a a'year

Mongoose have mentioned they did try for a 007 RPG as one of their earlier licences, but the 007 licencing department couldn't cope with something like an RPG book.

Of course things might have changed.

As for the new JB novel, are you considering the Raymond Benson books and the current 'Young Bond' series?

It is nice to see the new novel isset in the 60s. Real Bond.

Back