WHAT DO YOU DO?

slaughterj said:
DasClay said:
So does this mean we all get free legal advice from you guys?

Sure, but remember, you get what you pay for.

:shock: :shock: Thats not cool, were suspose to be family! you guys when to school and did the hard work, and were suspose to reap the rewards of your endevors!

blacksagelobo said:
I trained six hours a day, six days a week. I lifted weights anywhere from one to two and a half hours per day. I ran a fast mile and a half both before and after weightlighting. I boxed for an hour. And I practiced jujitsu, muay thai, wrestling and shootfighting for two to four hours per day.
:shock: Dude! Thats some pretty intense training.
And here I am, feeling all proud about myself if i manage to drag my lazy ass to the gym once a week... :(

DasClay said:
slaughterj said:
DasClay said:
So does this mean we all get free legal advice from you guys?

Sure, but remember, you get what you pay for.

:shock: :shock: Thats not cool, were suspose to be family! you guys when to school and did the hard work, and were suspose to reap the rewards of your endevors!

Wow, cool, family! I'll send you my student loan bill!

Dude! Thats some pretty intense training.
And here I am, feeling all proud about myself if i manage to drag my lazy ass to the gym once a week...

Yeah, thats what I did for a living. I felt that everyday I missed training was a day that my opponents were getting ahead of me.

Now all I do is teach 2 - 3 hour 4 days a week, though I looking to get back into weightlifting.

blacksagelobo said:
Dude! Thats some pretty intense training.
And here I am, feeling all proud about myself if i manage to drag my lazy ass to the gym once a week...

Yeah, thats what I did for a living. I felt that everyday I missed training was a day that my opponents were getting ahead of me.

Now all I do is teach 2 - 3 hour 4 days a week, though I looking to get back into weightlifting.
[sheepish grin] I have nothing to compare with you guys, hats off to you. Feel ridiculous even replying to this, all I do is work with actors to teach them how to fence (aka renaissance swordplay ala "The Three Musketeers") in rapier and rapier-daggar style combat, and that's only for a couple of hours. I'm prepping the new notes for them now. What we do is theatrical fencing anyways, for all intents and purposes it is based on both historical fencing and modern fencing, since actors can't predict whether a choreographer will use historical fencing moves or use a modern parry, or whether they'll use ASFD style or other. It's a lot of fun, our teacher is Joe Daly who, though he's largely retired now (at 76!), he's still widely respected (last movie he did was "The Mission" back in '86. Anyway, we do it because we enjoy it, we're not in any physical condition like you guys, and we're more 'goofy' than 'intense' I guess. Again, hats off to you.

The more and more you guys post, the more pathetic my 9:00 - 5:00 cubical job sounds :(

Oh well, as long as it pays enough to keep my Conan library up-to-date, I guess I can live with that.

I work in a computer store, I the store manager and fix/build computers all day..... Ive done the cubical thing... dont want to go back if I can help it...

Hooah! I'm a soldier at the moment; a truck driver for the US army. Very soon, I will be going back to school on my GI bill in San diego. I'll be studying English Literature among other things.

Tim Mercado said:
Hooah! I'm a soldier at the moment; a truck driver for the US army. Very soon, I will be going back to school on my GI bill in San diego. I'll be studying English Literature among other things.
Excellent, wish you the best - best of luck getting back and entering the academic world. Any particular emphasis in English? (American Literature, British Literature, or Medieval? Or maybe you want to study fields of literary criticism per se? Just asking because I was an English/Theatre double BA, always wanted to be a professor of Medieval literature, but fate moved me in other directions, so I'm interested in other English majors).

Bregales said:
Excellent, wish you the best - best of luck getting back and entering the academic world. Any particular emphasis in English? (American Literature, British Literature, or Medieval? Or maybe you want to study fields of literary criticism per se? Just asking because I was an English/Theatre double BA, always wanted to be a professor of Medieval literature, but fate moved me in other directions, so I'm interested in other English majors).

Hey, thank you very much for the well wishes Bregales. And at this time I am really unsure as to what direction I am going to go academically; In fact the only sure thing is that I enjoy writing and am interested in reading and learning to write better. Hopefully, there will be "exploratory" time in college for that. Perhaps you have some suggestions? 8)

Cheers

Tim Mercado said:
Hey, thank you very much for the well wishes Bregales. And at this time I am really unsure as to what direction I am going to go academically; In fact the only sure thing is that I enjoy writing and am interested in reading and learning to write better. Hopefully, there will be "exploratory" time in college for that. Perhaps you have some suggestions? 8)

Cheers
Okay, that sounds good. :) A lot of colleges have separate writing tracts vs literature studies tracts. Others don't. I'd just say take comparative studies or surveys of different classes (for instance, survey of British Literature, Beowulf to 1620 A.D.) and see what interests you, or just take the kinds of classes you're interested in. Don't worry, you'll have time to figure out what you like. Again, best of luck.

Sorry I'm late into this thread, only just joined the fora!

I'm a 44-year-old news reporter for a five-station radio group, and part-time writer of various forms of fiction. In addition to gaming and writing for enjoyment, I also sing (classical and barbershop mostly), chase trains and model railroad, study history (currently on a naval kick), and paint religious icons. I'm Eastern Orthodox Christian (thus I knew what Raphael was saying when he said Hristos voskrese and answered Voistinu voskrese) and get a small stipend for serving as chanter and liturgist for our mission.

I'm your basic oddball nice guy. :)

I'm a paramedic. I also teach CPR and EMT school. I do marketing and PR for the ambulance company as well. Currently I'm taking classes for advanced scope (Critical Care) paramedic program.

Yeah. Way too much on my plate :cry:

Can't belive that I haven't checked out this thread sooner! We have an amazingly diverse group of people here. :D

As for myself there are alot of different things that I've done in the past.
Dishwasher, comicstore owner, Army MP, private investigator, security guard, phone psychic, factory worker, exec at a local modeling agency.

Currently I'm a supervisor at a local department store, co-owner of a local gamestore, I lead a local Asatrue circle, and I mod on the conan.com forums. In addition I'm trying to get back in to writing sword&sorcery.

[/i]

You where a phone psychic, then at a modeling agency? I dont see the linear path. So thats what I need to do? Become a phone psychic, and then Ill beable to work with pretty women all day? sign me up.

You where a phone psychic, then at a modeling agency? I dont see the linear path.
At the time I left the psychic bis I was the supervisor for over a 30 people handling incoming phone calls. Because of that I was able to get my job at the agency. I started there by doing calls to that set up clients with local models. I expanded it by getting us new clients. So much so that they had to hire an assistant to help me keep all the appointments straight. by the time I quite that job I had incressed our client base by 30%, had established a first choice of grads from a local modeling school, and doubled the number of models we had on call.

And yes, the scenery there was excellent!!

What a fun thread. Because next weekend is my 20 year HS reunion and I'm waxing nostalgic, I think I'd like to chime in. After HS I joined the US Army and served for 4 years in Germany doing intelligence work (I see a fellow Intel soldier here. What MOS? I was a 98k10M7). Couldn't stand the army, so I used my GI Bill (then 20,000 dollars) to attend the University of Washington and almost get a degree in creative writing. I had the pleasure of studying under Charles Johnson. Anyway, that didn't really pan out so I have bounced around from one job to another for the past 15 years. I've been a clerk in a computer store, a car-washer, a bookstore clerk, a paralegal, a school bus driver, a transit bus driver, and, finally, a cable system tech. I am divorced and have 3 children whom I am raising as a single parent. I try to game when I can and I'm seeing my children gain more and more interest in my hobby.

Wicked Tinker said:
What a fun thread. Because next weekend is my 20 year HS reunion and I'm waxing nostalgic, I think I'd like to chime in. After HS I joined the US Army and served for 4 years in Germany doing intelligence work (I see a fellow Intel soldier here. What MOS? I was a 98k10M7). Couldn't stand the army, so I used my GI Bill (then 20,000 dollars) to attend the University of Washington and almost get a degree in creative writing. I had the pleasure of studying under Charles Johnson. Anyway, that didn't really pan out so I have bounced around from one job to another for the past 15 years. I've been a clerk in a computer store, a car-washer, a bookstore clerk, a paralegal, a school bus driver, a transit bus driver, and, finally, a cable system tech. I am divorced and have 3 children whom I am raising as a single parent. I try to game when I can and I'm seeing my children gain more and more interest in my hobby.

Where in Germany were you garrisoned?

Back