Weapon HPs

gamesmeister

Banded Mongoose
I may have just missed it, but what do we do with Weapon HPs?

APs are used to reduce damage when the weapon is used to parry, but I couldn't see any use for the HPs anywhere...

When someone attacks a weapon (a precise attack) they do damage to the weapon's HP, although the AP is deducted as armor.

So if someone doesn't like you poking them with a speak they can chop at with with thier great axe, the spear's AP stops 2 points, and the rest come off hit points. A good solid 12 point hit and goddbye spear, hello kindling.

GoingDown said:
Is this only way to actually do damage to weapons? Or can they got damaged when parrying?

No, they can't be damaged by parrying, even when parrying a critical hit. That's why I was curious what they were used for - thanks for pointing that the precise attacks atgxtg as I hadn't noticed that.

Also; If you use your weapon to bash an inanimate object with equal or more APs than the weapon you are using, you deal damage to both.

Archer said:
Also; If you use your weapon to bash an inanimate object with equal or more APs than the weapon you are using, you deal damage to both.

This is little unclear for me. Is following example correct:

You see sturdy door with 4AP/10HP, and want to bash it with your Battleaxe (3AP/8HP). You hit it and deal 6 points of damage. Does it mean both door and battleaxe takes same 6 points of damage, making door 4AP/4HP and your Battleaxe 3AP/2HP?

GoingDown said:
Archer said:

This is little unclear for me. Is following example correct:

You see sturdy door with 4AP/10HP, and want to bash it with your Battleaxe (3AP/8HP). You hit it and deal 6 points of damage. Does it mean both door and battleaxe takes same 6 points of damage, making door 4AP/4HP and your Battleaxe 3AP/2HP?

As I interpreted it, both take 6 HP of damage. From this you deduct the APs as you have done in your example.

Wahey!

Can you see the flaw here?

It seems that the Battleaxe will almost always break before, or at the same time as, the door.

Surely that can't be right.

But presumably a sturdy door wouldn't have 4AP (equivalent to metal armour) - unless it is reinforced with metal bands of course, in which case you are likely to damage or even break your axe.

I would have thought a sturdy door would have no more than 2 AP, although it's HP could be quite considerable.

I don't have my rulebook with me though, so I'm now waiting for the post quoting the rulebook with a sturdy door of 4AP... :D

soltakss said:
It seems that the Battleaxe will almost always break before, or at the same time as, the door.

Surely that can't be right.
gamesmeister said:
But presumably a sturdy door wouldn't have 4AP (equivalent to metal armour) - unless it is reinforced with metal bands of course, in which case you are likely to damage or even break your axe.

Actually, the example door (4AP) was taken from book - METAL DOOR. No wonder if battleaxe breaks up.

My bad - it was a bad example.

But still a question: If weapon has AP higher than door has, then nothing happens, right?

GoingDown said:
But still a question: If weapon has AP higher than door has, then nothing happens, right?

Correct. Also note that certain weapons do not take this kind of damage when hitting inanimate objects; Maul and Military pick are those I remember at the moment.

The Arms and Equipment Guide will have a slew of other items that are good at wrecking items too...

...just to letcha know. :)

Bry

The example is for bashing things sort of assumes you are using a weapon in a manner that is wasn't deesgined for. Lie it mentions, weappons aredesigned to damage flesh. It also notes that the GM will have to make judgement calls.

For instance, the 2AP of most hafted weapons represents the wooden shaft, not the business end. So a poleaxe, glaive or spear could probably be used on a wooden char of door without breaking. Of course the spear probably wouldn't be much good at chopping down a door, but it might make a fee peek holes.

Back