Turrets, Their Weapons and Advantages/Disadvantages

allanimal

Mongoose
For Bay weapons and Barbettes, where only one weapon can be applied, everything is OK, but with turrets, some of the advantages/disadvantages start to get weird.

Let's say I have a triple turret with mixed weapons.
* Weapon 1 is a early prototype pulse laser with the increased size disadvantage and the inaccurate disadvantage..
* Weapon 2 is an very advanced pulse laser with the intense focus advantage
* Weapon 3 is a high-tech pulse laser with the accurate advantage, high-yield and energy efficient advantage.

Question 1: Can these three weapons be linked? I am guessing not, since technically they aren't the same weapon. But if the answer is yes, what is the to hit DM? One of the three has a +1, one has a -1 and one as a 0.
Question 1a: if the weapons can be linked, how does one deal with one of the 3 getting AP+2 but not the others, and one treating all 1's on damage dice as 2's and the others not.
Question 2: Does the energy (in)efficiency of the weapon affect only the weapon, or the power requirement of the turret?
Question 2a: If only the weapon and not the turret, can I choose "energy inefficient" for the disadvantage on a missile rack? If so, those budget systems just got to be the default for missile racks.
Question 3: The early prototype has a +100% tonnage penalty. Weapons in turrets don't have a tonnage - does the 100% penalty apply to the turret?
Question 3a: If yes, does it apply to each weapon in the turret? That is, if a triple turret has 3 early prototype weapons, does it consume 4 tons?
Question 3b: If the early prototype size adjustment does not apply to the turret size, is it still legal to chose this disadvantage to turret weapons?
Question 4: Much like #3, weapons in turrets don't have a tonnage but the turret does. Does a weapon in a turret with size modifying advantages or disadvantages change the turret tonnage?
Question 4a: If so, how does it work with multiple weapons in the turret with the same size-adjusting trait?
Question 4b: How does it work with multiple weapons in the turret with different size-adjusting traits - if one is increased and one is decreased, for example.
Question 4c: If size adjusting disadvantages and advantages don't apply to the turret, is it still legal to chose them for turret weapons?

I think the above is best answered with that a weapon, is a single, double or triple turret. Not the individual weapons in the turret. So the modifications apply to all or you dont modify at all. Obviously this is my interpretation, but anything else seems to be a giant can of worms.

The rules are vague, so it's up to Referee fiat.

I would start with:
The weapons and the turret are separate components. They are clearly defined in separate entries and tables. The Size/weight of the weapons are too small to matter.
You must group weapons of the same Type: In the examples Type is "Beam Laser" or "Pulse Laser".

E.g.: At TL8 you want to build a Triple Pop-Up Turret with Missile, Sandcaster, and Beam Laser:
Code:
                         dTon   MCr  Power
Prototype Triple turret   1     2      1    Energy Ineff
Early Prototype Pop-Up    2.4   5           IncrSize, IncrSize
Missile Rack                    0.75
Prototype Sandcaster            0.5
Early Prototype Beam Laser      2.5    5.2  Inacc, Energy Ineff  
========================================== 
SUM                       3    10.75   6.2

Opinion not based on the rules said:
As a Referee I would say:
A component without size cannot choose the Increased Size disadvantage.
An Early Prototype component without size still do not have a size.
Advantages and disadvantages to one component (weapon) does not affect any other component (turret), so turret size, power, and cost is unmodified.
Group all identical weapons, your weapons are not identical and may not be grouped. Only one may fire each round and only one consumes power each round.
IF I allowed you to group the weapons you would get the worst of all component characteristics, so only Inaccurate.

Correction:
Code:
                         dTon   MCr  Power
Prototype Triple turret   1     2      1.3  Energy Ineff
Early Prototype Pop-Up    2.4   5           IncrSize, IncrSize
Missile Rack                    0.75
Prototype Sandcaster            0.5
Early Prototype Beam Laser      2.5    5.2  Inacc, Energy Ineff  
========================================== 
SUM                       3.4  10.75   6.5

Back