Traveller Generations

I play Traveller.

Oh wow!! Thats so cool. Which version?

Uh....

(I do agree that Mongoose are doing sterling and exciting work, quite reminiscent of 79/80 when releases came at a furious rate, ah those were the days).

alex_greene said:
If, by now, everyone starts assuming it's Mongoose Traveller you're playing rather than CT or MGT, Mongoose will have made its name twice over - not only will people know it by name, they'll know it's Mongoose even when it's implicit.

This will really strengthen the game. As a lover of CT I defy anyone to run a 3 session scenario using Traveller 4.5 (Mongoose Traveller) then return to the CT system.

Greetings

I can categorize myself by what I did with each Traveller edition.

CT - I remember playing it probably in the early '80s. I then bought it but didn't really use it.
MT - much as CT - liked reading it, never really played it.
TNE - ran a few times but struggled with the system. Didn't really object to the background.
T4 - avoided until I bought the main book at a bring & buy: not my scene
GURPS Traveller - bought for the material around merchants
T20 - bought for my son - neither of us are that keen on it
MGT - bought and run a couple of times so far using the CT Traveller Adventure - has gone OK. Am currently sticking to the core rulebook but may branch out in due course.

Regards

Started off in prehistory and I can remember the thrill of Mercenary coming out - particularly for our group which was a wargaming crowd. We *loved* those fusion guns.

Continued with CT until the early '80s and then just played DnD until a few years ago when I got back into Trav using CT and GURPS for the background material. Mongoose Traveller is now my rule set of choice.

Oh and I'm 46 years old and I've had mixed luck on the aging rolls :wink:

I'm just shy of 40 and started with Traveller in the 1980s after playing a few games of D&D, it was a toss up between it and Star Frontiers and the guy in the game store persuaded me it was the better system.

Started in the late golden age with starter Traveller and a friend who ran most of our games had the hardback book and a number of supplements he bought in a second hand store while on holiday.

That gaming group broke up as we all went to college or moved away for work.

Dabbled with 2300 but my heart just wasn't in it.

Ran a Megatraveller campaign on a weekly basis for a number of years interspersed with other systems.

Bought and played TNE a few times.

Got a few GT books including the 25th anniversary limited edition.

Tried to play T20 and got as far as character generation before I realised how clunky the d20 system is.

Bought pdfs of the Hero Traveller books and while I found them flexible the system has to much crunch for me.

By far my favourite edition is Mongoose Traveller its got a fast and furious playstyle and with a few house rules it suits my style of play.

Started with the LBBs during freshman year at HS in 1979-80 in Honolulu, bought from the late, great and lamented Legionnaire wargame shop. At the same time my gaming group was into Starfleet Battles and Ogre/GEV.
Used the Starfleet Wars ship and the old Traveller 15mm figure miniatures.

Played CT off and on up to freshman year in college in Washington DC in 1983-84, dabbling also in the FASA Star Trek RPG. Then ceased playing RPGs until now, save for one brief WEG Star Wars game in 1988 in Manila.
Never got into the various versions of Traveller between CT and MGT.

After a 26-year hiatus, and just after turning 44, took the plunge and bought the basic, Judge Dredd, B5 and Hammers' Slammers MGT books just last month in New York, from the Compleat Strategist on E 33rd St. Also bought Gurps 4E basic, Gurps Prime Directive and some Grear Krieg sourcebooks.

Am now setting up my "Space: 1939" campaign background, which will be essentially a combination of Tubepunk, Alternative WWII and the Gerry Anderson universe, projected forward a century or two. Will probably end up gaming this largely solo, with the help of the Mythic game emulator system.

Funny how middle age crisis manifests itself differently. Some guys get an Italian sports car, I get back into Traveller......

51 and Golden Age, I had the first boxed set at university around 1979 played avidly for about 10 years then forgot about it until about 2000 when I suddenly got nostalgic for my old friend during an attack of midlife crisis. :wink:

Bought Traveller in early '77 but didn't find a group 'till '78. Guess that makes me Golden though I feel prehistoric. :wink:

I've played and GM'd CT, MT, TNE, and MongTrav. Played T4 but never GM'd it.

kafka said:
It would be interesting to get a snapshot of who is actually playing Traveller and when they got interested in Traveller. For as Mongoose Traveller now the newest incarnation on the block - is it attracting predominantly newbies or has resonance with the grognards.

So in short, How Old Are You? & When Did You Start Playing Traveller?

At 29 years of age and feeling a bit young, I am a neo-Steel Age Traveller, as I really started buying Traveller with GURPS when I was 18, and didn't find a group until I was 22 and discovered the T20 boards. I did find The New Era when I was 13 or so.

Though to be fair, when I was 13 I was never the type to actually think that I should find people to hang out with, much less actually try to play RPGs with.

Golden age @1979 with the LBBs.

Tried MT, TNE, T2300 etc.

Now thoroughly enjoying MGT. A blast from the past!

Cheers

Dave

I bought the Classic Deluxe box directly from GDW in 1985 via mail. Tried to play it without much success until I went to college in '86, and found a guy down the dorm hall who had those same little black books. Played for a couple years in college at the gaming club, then stopped for more than 2 decades until I had a nostalgic period a few years back and found that there were several web sites still devoted to Traveller. I've been solo playing since then, and have managed to amass several of the Mongoose books in the last year or so. Still love reading & playing with the rules.

So I managed to skip over everything after Classic Traveller until Mongoose...

Bought my first box of LBBs from Games Workshop (when they still had a little shop down some sidestreet in London) in oooh nineteen-filthylie (1980).

Colletced (but never played): MT, TNE, T4, GT, T20.

Have played/Refereed MGT.

Fascinating - sounds like some of you folks probably crossed paths or waited in the same lines decades ago - and are now communicating with each other! 8)

As I have stated befoe I am 46 yrs old now, and have played Traveller since it came out some 30+ yrs ago now. I love anything Traveller and own and played all versions of the game (except Gurps Traveller - sorry I did not like Gurps system). To each their own, but MGT is a very good version and I support if fully.

Penn

LBB for my first playing and running campaigns. However, I did a piece of equipment for JTAS 23. One of the most beloved items of my players, TL-14+ Tailored Vacc Suit.

Which I rage against Mongoose saying its uncomfortable to wear, because it should be no more uncomfortable than the darn "Still-suit" they let people wear for thirty days. But that's another post. :wink:

I will be half a century old this May, where did the time go?

Im play traveller from day one. Took some vacations from it came back made Vacation from it and so on.

As far as I can recall, my adventures in roleplaying began in 6th grade (which would be 1975-76) when I guy in my class asked me if I'd be interested in playing a game called Dungeons and Dragons. He described it as a game in which you play a fantasy character, and go on adventures. Having just read The Hobbit, how could I say no! I played, and I was hooked. D&D led to Empire of the Petal Throne, and Metamorphosis Alpha, and by 1977 we had discovered Traveller. I've been playing one thing or another (mostly GURPS or D&D) ever since, or, if not actively gaming, dreaming up new campaigns.

I've got to hand it to Mongoose. They've done a great job of creating an aura of excitement around Traveller, reminiscent of the late 70s and early 80s.

Back