Traveller Generations

Golan2072 said:
Neo-Golden Age: I picked up the Books-0-9-in-One CT reprint in 1999 or 2000, had a lot of fun with it, then bought MGT when it came out.

What was book 9?

AndrewW said:
Golan2072 said:
Neo-Golden Age: I picked up the Books-0-9-in-One CT reprint in 1999 or 2000, had a lot of fun with it, then bought MGT when it came out.

What was book 9?
Oops! :oops: Book 9 is what happens when you post on a forum too early in the morning after insufficient sleep...

Typo corrected.

Golan2072 said:
AndrewW said:
Golan2072 said:

What was book 9?
Oops! :oops: Book 9 is what happens when you post on a forum too early in the morning after insufficient sleep...

Typo corrected.

Ah that looks better. Didn't think I had missed one...

Golden Age (picked up the LBB's in 1981) and have played evey GDW version since.

I owned but never played GURPS Traveller.

I just recently bought Mongoose Traveller and am looking for a group (anyone in Melbourne Australia :wink: ).

Prehistory/Golden here.

Started with LBB in a place where trips to a store carrying RPG stuff happened about every six months. So, in about 1977/8 I bought the LBB set, played with it alone for quite a while, except for when occasional club visitors ran or showed off somthing with one of the shiny new suppliments. Merc was a Big frippin deal, I recall quite clearly; but then having to wait and wait until someone had the opportunity to make the 1-2 hour drive to the nearest large city, and was willing and capable of doing a mass buy (ie three copies).......wow. Them was different days. For years, every campaign, and there were three or four, actually, was different simply by virtue of acess to different materials or fanatical devotion to trek or SW -remember, the first ST movie came out -in 78 ? Suck though it did, it was a BIG deal.

Okay, enough time on the porch, rockin ' talkin to young 'uns. Gotta take me a nap afore my checker game.... Skat y'all.

captainjack23 said:
For years, every campaign, and there were three or four, actually, was different simply by virtue of acess to different materials or fanatical devotion to trek or SW -remember, the first ST movie came out -in 78 ? Suck though it did, it was a BIG deal.

Star Trek the Motion Picture was released in 1980.

well started gaming 20 years ago but only got into traveller with mongoose trav, picked up the book last year, should be having my 1st game sometime soon

Heavens... Started out in minatures and picked up "chainmail" as a supplement. The picked up traveller when in University...

lol I _know_ i'm not the oldest here, but I'll be in the top 5%

Take care

E. Herdan

kafka said:
So in short, How Old Are You? & When Did You Start Playing Traveller?

Some definitions...
To answer the question asked, instead of arbitrarily picking it apart, I'm Golden Age. I started playing in 1983 while stationed in South Korea, when a friend introduced me to the game (I was already well versed into AD&D and a few other systems). It was really fun to play under him because he had certain 'perks' from his job.

He was in the base drafting office and, with his LT's permission, would spend some off-duty time doing up ship floor plans at the 1" scale so we could use miniatures in the game. I was exposed a little bit to MT, but that's another story all together.

I've tried T20, which is fun for something in the d20 system, and ran a 3rd ed GURPS Traveller campaign for several years.

Early Golden Age. 1979, 9th grade - been playing Melee, Wizard and other Metagaming games and knew about D&D when I saw this ad in some long since gone gaming magazine that talked about a new Sci-fi RPG. Took the money I was saving to buy D&D and sent it off for this new game, because playing Star Wars sounded more fun than playing Lord of the Rings.

Got a black box with three LBBs, and ran campaigns for a lot of friends throughout high school and my years in the Navy. Bought into each edition till T4 - stopped playing until the Reprints came out.

For me I would say Silver Age. Got started with Megatraveller. Then the gearhead in me got hooked on TNE. Did not really care for GURPS Traveller (I mean I have the money why do I still have to pay more points for a ship, when I already paid in cash for the ship). Looked at and did not care for T4 from Imperium Games, picked up some used Judge's Guild stuff and the FASA ship deckplans real cheap 3 years ago for $20 each. I like T20. MgT I use with TNE rules. I really do not care for the TNE setting itself. I liked Traveller 2300/2300ad. Never could find the LBB until they came out on cd-rom. (I live in San Antonio, TX the backwater Tatooine of RPG's).

Ditto for me, Silver age.
Started with MegaTrav run by a friend at a local games club. Played every incarnation of Trav since, but nothing really grabbed me until Mongoose Trav, and I have no idea why.

Golden Age.

Found my first copy of Traveller in a hardcover collection of the primary books from the LBB back in the early '80s, don't remember exactly when. Have piddled with just about every edition since then, except GURPs Traveller.

I tend to bounce back and forth between systems a bit, but I'm currently putting together some ideas for a MGt campaign.

Star Trek TMP in 1980 ? yes, I guess it was. I do remember drooling over the production and filming during high school, so probably thats' why the earlier date in memory. The hoopla in fandom for STTMP is hard to imagine now that it is a franchise. It was a Big Deal at least back to early 1979, possibly 78. And that was before this here newfanglededy IntarweBz. And we liked it by cracky ! :roll:

Still, it was a big influence on our games at the time - the sequence was (IIRC & I'll omit years as 1.the massive speed of propagation delay for RPG stuff, especially non-d&d and 2. my faulty memory )
prehistory: LBB as Star wars or nivenesque stuff.....then Golden age Book 4 and everyone had a military campaign (a la Pournelle stories), then (as STTMP slowly came out) lots of trek like puzzle worlds and godlike entities; then, IIRC it was JTAS and the spinwards supp and High Guard really brought in the OTU.

OT: Honestly, too, I do have to apologise for saying the ST movie sucked -it was a bit of a disappointment, and really dragged without a fast forward; but, I also have to say this is the first forum in a long time that I have mentioned it and not immediately started a "STTMP SUXXORZ" flamewar. So, thanks for that, quite sincerely. :)

captainjack23 said:
OT: Honestly, too, I do have to apologise for saying the ST movie sucked -it was a bit of a disappointment, and really dragged without a fast forward; but, I also have to say this is the first forum in a long time that I have mentioned it and not immediately started a "STTMP SUXXORZ" flamewar. So, thanks for that, quite sincerely. :)

The most "polite" criticism of it I saw was adding "-less" to the second-to-last word of the title.

That said, it managed to do the "TV episode stretched to theatrical length" thing better than a couple of the later movies...

Prehistoric, here

I bought the LBBs in 1977 the first time I saw them on the games shelf of our local militaria shop (no game stores yet in our area, except for the shops that sold different types of fancy chess sets.) I'd been playing wargames and minis since I was 10 and D&D since a year before it's publication because of a friend who had a cousin that gamed with Gary Gygax that brought photocopies of notes out when visiting my friend's family over Christmas.

I stuck with the 3 LBBs and nothing else until MGT. When I went to college I got my first exposure to Mercenary and HG and didn't like it. It was the group's use of them more than the books, but it put me off and the impression stuck fast.

My campaign started out as a "Doc" Smith campaign (once it became something other than a faceless generic "space" campaign.) I added inertialess drives, projectors and ultrabeams, spindleships, and so on. No Lenses, though--too much power. I upgraded the original Meteors to "Comets" that acted like a Lens as far as I.D., but had none of the telepathic powers.

Later I mixed in a bunch of Harry Harrison, Jack Vance, and other background material.

Shortly before MGT was announced I bought the CT CD. While I was considering running a game in the OTU while reading all the neat new material, the MGT playtest came along and my group gave it a spin. We liked it, so I bought the MGT stuff as it arrived and we've been having a good game in the Spinward Marches. I don't know if I could have run the game without the original CT stuff to back me up, though.

Now I'm working on a B5 campaign to go with the new book. We've got some rabid B5 fans in our group, and I'm having fun planning out the campaign even though I'm not really a fan of B5. I enjoyed the show plenty except for a few execrable episode spoiled by atrocious acting.

I'm in my late 40s. Not quite ready to start anagathics yet, but I've started saving my credits for them.

You know, I first got into hex code from Traveller's early UPPs. Who knew that a six digit hex code would end up being the internationally recognised standard notation for RGB web colour schemes ... or that I'd instinctively know what colours were what from just a glance at the hex code ...

Also, don't let anybody tell you that #cccccc is boring. I know some players who'd jump at the chance to play a character with those stats ...

Hi there guys, I am a month shy of being 45 years old. I started playing 1st edition Traveller fresh off the shelves with it's fist printing back in 1977 of the original Little Black Box for Traveller. Heck back then D&D was also in the same size box as well too. Yes I started with D&D first, then Traveller, followed by Gamma World, and then V&V. Ahh the good old days!!!

After some 32+yrs of RPGing, and was playing Wargames prior to RPG I am still going strong and have been darn lucky to have been able to amass a vast library of gaming stuff too. Yes in the mail on friday I got both; B5 and Prison Adventure. Yes I have to collect it all regardless what ever. I also just love the amount of stuff inwhich Mongoose Pub is cranking out the door for Traveller. my hats off to them and hope they continue onward in doing this. I have preordered it all and will continue to do so in the future too.

Penn

Back