Traveller Generations

Hmm. Started in Prehistory, but happily accepted all the classic LBB supplements.

Tried to move on to Megatraveller, but got the infamous 1st Edition which was so error riddled as to be unusable ... and, in pre-internet days, being here in Oz meant that it took months for errata to reach here and be widely distributed.

Hated - no, that's slightly too strong - greatly disliked the Task Resolution system in Megatraveller while agreeing that the one in CT needed formalisation. Just thought that the MT one was ... overly complex and, worse, didn't really make it easy to use (yes, I know this is not a universal opinion!)

Didn't mind the way that the history was going - until we got wind, late and patchily, of the Empress Wave and, worse, Virus. Put me in the "doesn't like Virus" camp :wink:

Thought TNE was an OK rule system, but, again, disliked the background history and though the whole Space Viking thingy was ... silly.

T4 - well, I didn't mind the game system, actually, even the much loathed half die. The thing that was inexcusable was the poor quality of the proof reading which made the game difficult to use.

MongTrav? Pretty good. Still suffers from some of the core problems Traveller has always suffered from (outdated technology, a tech level system that neither works nor makes much sense if you know anything about technology, a planet/system generation system that is badly flawed and unrealistic, a skills set that doesn't provide enough skills to represent real people and doesn't handle cross TL skills at all etc.), but the resolution system is improved (not that it couldn't be tweaked) greatly, and is possibly the best so far.

T5? Well, I have the CD, and occasionally view the private access forum, but think that the whole process is taking far too long. Some elements are really great, and expand or improve on Mongoose (and other) versions of Traveller, but others simply regurgitate slightly changed versions of what has been problematic all along.

Of the final two, I suspect that T5 might actually be better, system wise, but not by much ... and to make a final decision on that we'll have to wait until the final version is released. Not that I think it will be, not any time soon, anyway :wink:

Overall, I think Mongoose Traveller has the most going for it at the moment, though I still think it has issues that need to be corrected, but probably never will be for a whole variety of reasons, most of which I am certainly not privy to :wink:

As for me, well, 56 in May 10, which officially makes me a surly old curmudgeon 8)

Phil

aspqrz said:
As for me, well, 56 in May 10, which officially makes me a surly old curmudgeon 8)
Well, we have survived at least seven versions of Traveller, so we have
the hard earned right to be surly. :lol:

Wow, I can't believe I am Golden Age. Started in grade 9 way back in 78. The good OLD days. :D

Loved CT. :) Got me hooked. Have most everything published from back then.

Disliked Megatraveller. :( Never even bothered to play it.

Liked TNE. Character generation was great. Ship building sucked. Took way to much time to do.

Never played T20. Never bought any of it either.

Dislike GURPs generally so never tried it.

Love MT, makes me feel young again. I like it so much I started a game. If anyone from Mongoose reads this, keep up the good works.

Atomic Age.
Been looking for a space-opera/sci-fi rpg for a while and heard
a couple of times about Traveller. But when I searched for it,
I always stumbled on the FarFuture website which I find wholly
noob-unfriendly and was put off by it.
However one foray on the Wikipedia Traveller page, mentionned the existence of the Mongoose version which evolved independently of T5.
And it was avaible through Amazon.ca!
I got it, and fell in love with it.

Golden Age.
80's....
Still have all the original classic and MegaTraveller publications.

Picked up the LBBs in grade school.
Never really played it until high school....

Loved Striker....and Snapshot and AHL.
FFW seems awesome, never played it.
Bought MegaTraveller, never really played it.
Played New Era rules, but in pre-virus 3I.
Skipped T4
Bought/Played GURPS Traveller
Bought/Played T20
Bought didnt play GURPS HERO
Bought/Played Mongoose
Want a copy of T5.....

Unfortunately its difficult to find non-DnD players in this town.....

Current Game has revitalized the game and am running a classic Traveller game (All the LBB adventures) with Mongoose rules. (Actually its classic rules under the pretense of Mongoose...dont tell anyone...Shhhhh!!!)

Started in 1994, but with The Traveller Book paired with MT's Imperial Encyclopedia and Referee's Companion. A good combination, actually. Played CT for 4 years.

Tried T4 for 2 years, then slowly moved back to CT.

Working with MGT and T5, both from their beginnings, more or less. I play both. Currently a referee for a T5 game.

These new rules have finally replaced all of CT for me.

Golden Age

I remember riding my bike to the hobby store that had the deluxe boxed set some 7-10 miles away and on the way back getting a flat and having to walk my bike back, luckily I made it back before my mom got home...barely.

I had Mega and used things from that with the LBB's, never got into GURPS or 2300. Tried 4th and now I have the Mongoose version and right now it is my default scifi game.

Look forward to all the new stuff!

Pre-History for me.

I bought the original 3 LBBs, in a box, in September 1977 as a Freshman in High School. Played through 1982 and then stopped due to real life issues.

I didn't get back into Traveller until 2007.

Took me a while to figure out what MT, TNE, T4, T20 meant. Not just the letters but what it meant to the game.

I started helping on the T5 stuff, but dropped out in favor of MGT.

I liked how the story evolved after I left the game (yes, I even liked Virus). I guess I had the advantage of reading it as history rather than having to live through it.

I now write MGT stuff under the OGL; something I NEVER thought I would do and have been able to buy a HD TV with my royalties.

None of the game systems (including CT) have ever been good enough for me and I have tweeked EVERYTHING ever printed, so I never understood the "canonistas" or the "gearheads" arguing over how closely some rule matched reality. If it feels right to me, I use it. If it doesn't feel right, I change it and move on.

Somewhere in my boxes of stuff, I have about 300 pages of houserules that I made up for CT back when there wasn't even a Third Imperium.

I have recently started reviving my setting and converting it over to MGT. Unfortunately, I found that at 47, some of the things I thought were cool at 16 just don't make sense any more.

I have played D&D (started out with chainmail) and have dabbled in most other systems (GURPS, BRP etc) but keep coming back to Traveller for it's elegance and simplicity.

To me it has always been more about Roleplaying than Rollplaying.

Antediluvian pre-history.

We played 'Metamorphosis Alpha' (the latest version, 4th edition, is not bad) for year or so in school, then got a 'Traveller' box when it came out from GW in Dalling Road.

Having said that, I think I actually prefer 'Space Opera' as a generic system.

Lord High Munchkin said:
Antediluvian pre-history.

We played 'Metamorphosis Alpha' (the latest version, 4th edition, is not bad) for year or so in school, then got a 'Traveller' box when it came out from GW in Dalling Road.

Having said that, I think I actually prefer 'Space Opera' as a generic system.

Actually, I think I can probably trump that - if you consider Metamorphosis Alpha a SFRPG - I started playing SFRPGs with Empire of the Petal Throne, which was released in 1975 compared to MA's 1976.

Saw a copy in what was then pretty much the only shop in Sydney that sold RPGs, but it was sold, so I went through all the pre-banking-liberalisation hassle of getting a US$ Bank Draft (you had to justify to the Bankies why you wanted foreign money at all :shock: ... sorta like in Russia :shock: :shock: ) and ordering direct from TSR in Lake Geneva ... it arrived three days later (by standard US Mail Airmail ... an unprecedented result even 34 years later ... must have hit every connection "just right" ... it was even postmarked as having left Lake Geneva the day after I received it, thanks to the International Dateline :shock: :shock: :shock: ) and I've had a lot of fun with it over the years ... and have a copy of every version (even the not so wonderful GoO one which is the most recent).

EPT is certainly as much of a SFRPG as MA is, IMHSHO 8) and a fun background.

Phil

Ah, I can trump your trump and lay down a hand of aces....

I played Tékumel (and still do), but that's not it....

I have a copy of the very first RPG that used dice as a situation resolution method—'The Ch'ing Game' by Robert B. Oxnam, although it's only the 1972 New York State University printing rather than the typed version from the late 1950's (or early '60's).

It was used to teach 19th century Chinese politics. After the academic course first taught the students "straight" Chinese history, each student at the end of the course took on the role of a Qing politician/ruler/official/general and played through possible events and alternate outcomes.

Now that's "old skool"!

Fun times, fun times...
I don't know about you guys, but I fully expect to have a second rpging Renaissance with the fellows in the old folks home three or four decades from now. They can have my dice when they pry them from my dead, age-worn hands.

Lord High Munchkin said:
Ah, I can trump your trump and lay down a hand of aces....

I played Tékumel (and still do), but that's not it....

I have a copy of the very first RPG that used dice as a situation resolution method—'The Ch'ing Game' by Robert B. Oxnam, although it's only the 1972 New York State University printing rather than the typed version from the late 1950's (or early '60's).

It was used to teach 19th century Chinese politics. After the academic course first taught the students "straight" Chinese history, each student at the end of the course took on the role of a Qing politician/ruler/official/general and played through possible events and alternate outcomes.

Now that's "old skool"!

Yeah, I'd say that trumps pretty much anyone :lol:

Phil

Lord High Munchkin said:
Thank you for a most fascinating information. :D

For a "simulationist" like me it is nice to see that the wargaming approach
of Arneson and Gygax is not the only root of roleplaying games and that
my preferred roleplaying style existed independently of D&D. :wink:

Fascinating, I agree. I dug around a little trying to learn more about The Ch'ing Game... came across this interesting file in which the author compares a couple different interactive simulation games.
http://www.crid.or.cr/digitalizacion/pdf/eng/doc3049/doc3049-b.pdf

It is funny with Traveller players/GMs, even if someone stops playing they always seem to return eventually to the hobby at some point and start collecting for a while Now I have been extremely lucky and have played and collected now since it first came out and still absorb mostly everything that comes out for my ever expanding Traveller resource library. Ever product I add to my library, just adds that much more possible resources for my own game.

Penn

The LBB were the first RPG I played back in 1977. I notice that my copies of Mercenary and High Guard were published by Games Workshop under licence.

Chris D-W

Im old enough to know better and started playing in what you termed the "Golden Age" and have continued to play in each age since as both Ref and player.

My favorite versions to date are MegaTraveller with the Hardtimes rules, and my newest set, the Mongoose Pocket Rulebook (what isnt good about the return of the LBB?).

Golden Age for me - the LBBs and the Mercenary supplement were all I could afford (still in high school then).

I have a lot from all ages / versions, since there is something to like about them all. At least or me, that is. :)

Just turned 46 late last year.

Back