Traveller 5

2330ADUSA1 said:
I am my own person and I know what is right for me alone, I do not need someone else trying to tell me what is good or not good. So unless you have seen something for yourself, then you will truely not know.

Reviews are useful though, and if most are negative then it's more likely that what's being reviewed is not good.

Besides, if you're so interested in supporting the hobby (newsflash: The RPG industry has been said to be "dying" since the 1980s, and it's still going), then you'll buy PDFs because that's where most of it is now. Your insistence on only buying dead-tree products may serve you well, but there's a lot of stuff that isn't available in that format (because it's expensive/hard to produce products in the right format for) and you're certainly not doing the publishers of those any favours by ignoring them.

Wil Mireu said:
2330ADUSA1 said:
I am my own person and I know what is right for me alone, I do not need someone else trying to tell me what is good or not good. So unless you have seen something for yourself, then you will truely not know.

Reviews are useful though, and if most are negative then it's more likely that what's being reviewed is not good.

He wants us to just go out and buy T5 because he says so. But he doesn't want us saying we don't like it. Very odd. A poll vote will settle this real quick as to where Traveller 5 fits into the goodness of the various editions of Traveller.

Poll created.

2330ADUSA1 said:
we should just purchase the products because the more that is bought the wider the spread and the better off for the hobby as a whole
No, because:
2330ADUSA1 said:
I am my own person and I know what is right for me alone, I do not need someone else trying to tell me what is good or not good

lordmalachdrim said:
I have this monstrosity. It is harder to read then the US Tax Code. Between the poor wording, lack of common sense in the layout, quickly growing errata list, and the irritating attitudes of people who say you must buy it not as a game but as a resource of tools/rules that you can take what you want from it.

Am I a bit bitter about the whole ordeal...yes. I backed the kickstarter and defended the whole thing and even talked others into putting their money down on this turkey and now that I have it I feel rather cheated by this POS and that I personally cheated others into doing so.

+1

My sense about this release is a bit of wagon circling around a product that, if it did not come directly from Marc Miller*, otherwise would be universally panned. I'm seeing a lot of "money is no obstacle to completion, I'll pay any price for Traveller" that reeks of an annoying kind of elitism, that criticism = skinflint. No; wrong.

If it's not a good product, it doesn't deserve to be purchased; purchasing a bad product does not support a quality industry. Purchasing good products supports a quality industry.

* I wish MM the best, and better luck next time.

Well it is pointless to try to express the point I am trying to get accross. The collective of you wants to put down T5 without even reading it yourself. Look I like Mongoose Pub's stuff and never ever complain about any errors or typos or etc. I just make the corrections myself and move on. For me it is all just a resource and I like the fact that Marc Miller after all these years is still involved in the game as well.

As to .pdf vs dead tree, well I am set in my ways in that whole topic and yes I focus on just the printed copy stuff only. I guess for me I will stop with the hobby when they stop printing the hard copy books. It is the mode that I like the best and wish to have or use. For you younger guys that use the .pdf's, all I can say is back up your backups. All it takes in one Hard Drive crash or one Virus and all that .pdfs will be all gone. Granted there are just a many things that could also take out printed versions as well, but books look better on a shelf. :lol:

So regardless what style you wish to use, have fun at the game and keep playing.

I just want to know - can I create Traveller universes where we have such things as really big ships (kilometres across, more than 1 million dtons, probably closer to the billion dton ranges), ships with semiorganic hulls, jump drives which allow for intergalactic travel and drives (with inertial damper systems) able to pull off accelerations of 600g?

Do I get rules which allow me to shuffle items on the TL table so that, for example, AI can appear as early as TL 9, teleportation at TL 13 etc?

2330ADUSA1 said:
I like the fact that Marc Miller after all these years is still involved in the game as well.

Well, after this release I am coming to consider the involvement of MM in Traveller analogous to the continued involvement of George Lucas in the Star Wars franchise. Hindrance, in terms of licensing for ancillary items like software, and a sorry "revisioning" of core and beloved concepts. Little of it I would judge as enhancement or improvement.

I wish MM great health and happiness; I wish him well. But AFAIAC Han shot first.

2330ADUSA1 said:
The collective of you wants to put down T5 without even reading it yourself.

No, we're commenting on the dearth of good reviews and majority being bad.

GROW UP.

F33D said:
2330ADUSA1 said:

GROW UP.

He's entitled to his opinions. But the rest of us don't need to know the ingredients of the soup to read the closure notice from the restaurant's health board. The idea we must shell out $120+ to qualify our opinions or senses is absurd.

Lemnoc said:
F33D said:
2330ADUSA1 said:

GROW UP.

He's entitled to his opinions. But the rest of us don't need to know the ingredients of the soup to read the closure notice from the restaurant's health board. The idea we must shell out $120+ to qualify our opinions or senses is absurd.

He is entitled to his opinion but NOT entitled to smear people and intentionally misrepresent what others are doing. I agree about the health notice. Good analogy. Sad as I was REALLY hoping T5 would be a great new version...

After I recovered from salmonella poisoning I went back and ordered another platter of oysters so I could be an authority on what others were only talking about. :)

2330ADUSA1 said:

I don't even think all the kickstarters and beta testers have received their copies because it seems that none of the vast profit that Marc made from the kickstarter was invested into a decent distribution system.

When (if?) it ever makes it to the wider market then maybe people can sample it for themselves. I guess that will be when the carrier pigeons deliver the CDs strapped to their backs to the horse-drawn carriages that will deliver the PDFs to the online distributors... ;)

Well I must say, it would appear that this posting forum has tuned into a click of folks that only think that their main version/ flavor at the current time is the best thing since sliced bread and the rest of the world is wrong.

Well enjoy your dream, it is only a dream however. I have seen to many versions come and go, likewise I have seen so many players come and go as well too. My long time in this hobby has given me a interesting perspective on this. Experience can not be denied, reading and playing and being there all these years is the real key to my view on the Traveller game.

So go ahead and bash me for saying all products are of value and help out the Traveller hobby as a whole. As some bash T5 sight unseen by themselves, I would like to point out that not everything Mongoose has published has been perfect. Yes I have a copy of it all just the same, but then I have the fluff cash to do that.

It also bothers me that folks that have never written a thing in their life have the stones to say another writer that was the creator of the game should stop. Some of you have some pretty big stones...or at least you think you do anyway. So the real test will to see whom is still playing this game ten years from now.

So take your head strong approach and support the line of the game you feel fits you best.

Wil Mireu said:
2330ADUSA1 said:

I don't even think all the kickstarters and beta testers have received their copies because it seems that none of the vast profit that Marc made from the kickstarter was invested into a decent distribution system.

At LEAST he could have set up a PDF download for those who have so handsomely lined his pockets via Kickstarter. Any number of fans on his forum site would have done that for free. :?

2330ADUSA1 said:
Well I must say, it would appear that this posting forum has tuned into a click of folks that only think that their main version/ flavor at the current time is the best thing since sliced bread and the rest of the world is wrong.

The humorous part is that everything said is what is also said about mong; T5 has actually given to the forum people exactly what they want, an excuse to argue about nothing. I bought mong anyways though, I know not to listen to anybody.

Though I am actually a gm/player, and interestingly enough, I see few that I know on the forums.

dragoner said:
Though I am actually a gm/player, and interestingly enough, I see few that I know on the forums.

Even after almost 20 years, the number of participants in forums like this is still a small fraction of the fanbase.

2330ADUSA1 is right about one thing, though. Traveller is very clique-ridden. Most RPGs can claim to have an online community, but some of the oldest do not, having been shattered by edition wars as much as 20 years ago. Traveller is one of those.

GypsyComet said:
dragoner said:

Even after almost 20 years, the number of participants in forums like this is still a small fraction of the fanbase.

2330ADUSA1 is right about one thing, though. Traveller is very clique-ridden. Most RPGs can claim to have an online community, but some of the oldest do not, having been shattered by edition wars as much as 20 years ago. Traveller is one of those.

Yeah, I'm a little old for cliques I guess, I believe it is the negativity that gets to people.

Probably just as well that the archives of the TML from 90 to 93 aren't around any more, then. Wheee, what screaming.

(Having said this, I expect someone to come along and defend those days, and the things said. I refuse to do so. The reactions to TNE destroyed the online Traveller unity, are why there are dozens of Yahoo Groups for various bits and parts of Traveller (and why at least one of them still has a vitriolic byline), and why many of the TMLs oldest refuse to visit more recent fora, like this one.)

GypsyComet said:
Probably just as well that the archives of the TML from 90 to 93 aren't around any more, then. Wheee, what screaming.

I remember a friend showing me the TML, let's just say the motivation to get involved was low.

Back