Traveller 5

Just to chime in, Gorgon Press will also be continuing it's support of MgT, though we may add some bits and pieces of T5 (stats and such) to books.

If T5 ever makes it into my local Travelling Man store I will be very interested to look it over. But until I can see a preview for myself I would never consider buying it. Even then I most certainly wont buy it if everything that people have said is right (and I am pretty sure all of it is).

Lately I have reduced my CT set to just my original much loved Black Box Set and just the adventures books that I will want to play with my kids. I used to have a massive set of books and just never used them. So most of them have been sold and I dont really miss them much.

I have been busy also collecting MgT books via Ebay (for a lot less than their full price) and I only have three left to complete my set of 'needed books'. Once I have that sorted I will have a very playable set of Mongoose Traveller using modified CT adventures, and a CT set that I aim to keep for nostagia reasons only.

So I really cannot see anywhere for T5 to fit into that. It would have to be absolutely brilliant to make me convent to it over my present very playable MgT, and that doesnt seem to be the case. So I can see myself sticking with MgT and CT for the long term.

I would like to say I do feel very sad that T5 has turned out the way it has, it was my great hope for many years for a fantastic new version from the original author of the game I loved as a kid. I think it has turned out probably almost worse than anything I could have anticipated. And that is a real downer for me. I hope Marc turns it around but I really cant see it happening. Good for Mongoose, terrible blow for my and many other peoples hopes though I feel for a fresh new Traveller version.

Still, on the bright side considering CT and MgT are the only two versions of Traveller I have ever owned I do think that says a lot for MgT actually. The fact they are learning from their misakes, releasing corrected books and producing good stuff now says a lot as well. I do give them a hard time on the forums, worse than they deserve really, but at the end of the say I do enjoy reading their books and playing their version of the game.

And that is all that matters in the end isnt it?

Traveller could disappear off the face of the earth forever and nobody but us few would care, look at even the biggest of the game companies such as Paizo, with a value of about 11 million, that is tiny. For example, I built single family residences in California that cost around that much or more and I was a executive for a mid-sized Design Build that had almost 300 employees. Traveller nor Mongoose had any presence at Gencon, I only learned of Mongoose from CotI, my local flgs has not heard of them.

How many of us are there, maybe 4000? Which is a number I heard bandied about and it could be far smaller. The point is, play and have fun, everything else is irrelevant.

nats said:
If T5 ever makes it into my local Travelling Man store I will be very interested to look it over.

Which Travelling Man is your local? The Leeds branch had quite a lot of copies in when it was released and I'm sure it had a few in when I was last in there (about two weeks ago).

nats said:
If T5 ever makes it into my local Travelling Man store I will be very interested to look it over. But until I can see a preview for myself I would never consider buying it. Even then I most certainly wont buy it if everything that people have said is right (and I am pretty sure all of it is).

I got to view it as a friend got a copy. I would pay ~$20-$25 for a PDF of it. Not worth more than that.

I have seen a copy on the shelves of my local FLGS.

My home town now has a local FLGS.

The first thing I saw was the Absent Friends page, and I lost it. I didn't have a chance to look again at the book, but as soon as I get the chance - assuming nobody's come along with forty quid to take it off the shelves - I'll look at it more closely and let you know what I think.

Until then, the version of Traveller I'll use will be Mongoose Traveller.

Back