Traveller 5

You can learn more about T5 at www.travellerrpg.com which is it's home.

And I am sure that some will tell you their opinion here too. :)

Dave Chase

rgrove0172 said:
What have you guys heard about the new edition?
According to the reviews I have seen, the system is very
(probably overly) complex, with a level of detail normally
not required for any game, and also badly organized. Sin-
ce I prefer rules light systems and the referee's imagina-
tion to the random results of tables, it is certainly not my
kind of game - and I would not want to struggle with any
book of 600+ pages that has no index.

Well I got my email today from Marc that my copy of the T5 rulebook should be mailed out to me by 6/1 and I should have it sometime after that...

I think of T5 as a bunch of possible rules that I might choose to add into my own In-House game system that I use. So think of It as a lot of extra rules that you could use if you like.

It's a lot of useful ideas, a useful source of ideas for borrowing. I'm not sure how it is as a game system, as I haven't had a chance to do much with it yet - it's definitely not ready to go right out of the box, at least not for me. (I much prefer a free/rogue trader sort of game, and there are no usable ship stats included in the book. Should be reasonably easy to generate endless variations on many ideas, though. Already have some ideas of things I'd like to develop...)

It looks highly flexible, but as I implied, it's going to take quite a bit of prep before a ref can run a game of T5. I mean, an edition of Traveller that doesn't even come with the stats for a Beowolf? Sure, it grants a nearly unprecedented degree of freedom, but it also means there's a lot work involved.

The "reviews" I've read point to it being a better pick & choose toolbox than something I'd play straight as is. If it ever comes out as a PDF for a much lower price I'll get it. (hopefully after the reams of errata are integrated...)

Traveller 5 is more of a complex toolkit for designing your own Sci-Fi RPG and setting. And it should be reviewed according to that, rather than as a playable RPG out of the box. There was talk of a player's book being produced so that games might actually get played.

F33D said:
The "reviews" I've read point to it being a better pick & choose toolbox than something I'd play straight as is. If it ever comes out as a PDF for a much lower price I'll get it. (hopefully after the reams of errata are integrated...)

FFE has a 443 deal, that is how I got it. Paid a buck and got a knighthood as well later, that's about 1/400th of what I've spent on mong trav stuff in the last year or so; and if I listened to people saying how terrible mong was, I'd have never bought it either.

T5 is playable, I've played it.

You didn't play the T5 beta from years ago? Some people claim to have played T5 (final cut), but they also relied on rules from a plethora of other Traveller books and editions. Such books are what the players are told are "must reads" so they have an idea of what "Traveller" is, since hardly any of the players bought Traveller 5. Referring to other Traveller books, in order to play T5, kind of defeats the purpose of T5.

So when someone says they played T5, all kinds of red flags are thrown.

Having lived in cali for 20+ years, when someone says "back in the day" it generally means 20 years ago or something, so the answer is -

Like totally dude, its gnarley pretty much.

T5 didn't exist back then though, that was the time of mega (errata) traveller by dgp.

But no, you don't need to read other stuff, though T5 is rather generic setting wise, same as mong crb.

This supplement is really required, if not, it should be, for all iterations of trav:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPpTwoaLs5A

Because Traveller, the volume goes to eleven. 8)

I've 'heard' that the book is badly organised and edited, the illustrations are not that great, there is no index, and that there is hardly any setting information. Its a massive technical manual for use in constructing a game but it isnt something you can pick up and play a game from. And now I hear there arent even any standard ship specs in it? Is that right? I thought it had ship specs and illustrations and everything - I thought that was why the book was extended in size after the Kicsktarter finished - to fit them in?

So is it just a completely blank canvas then with lots and lots of rules?

If it doesnt have ships in it does it have standard weapons in it?

Must admit it seems very confusing as to who the book is actually aimed at. Is it just aimed at the very serious existing Traveller players? Because there cant be many of those around.

I just want something simple to play Traveller games with - something like updated CT books, which were great, concise, fun, playable rules books. Yes some of them missed the mark but on the whole they were superb...and cheap. You could buy one every few weeks as a kid. Not so now it seems. I find Mongoose stuff is very expensive and most of the MGT books are waffle.

How is T5 supposed to be helping get new blood into the Traveller universe at 650 pages and £60 or whatever? Weird.

nats said:
I just want something simple to play Traveller games with - something like updated CT books, which were great, concise, fun, playable rules books.

Starter Traveller has been free for a few years now on Drive-Thru. But people that really really like Classic Traveller will not like any other version of Traveller. Everything I didn't like about Classic Traveller is magnified 10x over in Traveller 5. The three things I liked about Classic Traveller (character creation, subsector creation, ship combat) are no fun in Traveller 5.

2330ADUSA1 said:
I think of T5 as a bunch of possible rules that I might choose to add into my own In-House game system that I use. So think of It as a lot of extra rules that you could use if you like.
Which sounds a lot like the usefulness/application of the first edition of Advanced Dungeons and Dragons (AD&D), "back in the day" :mrgreen:

Back