Thunder River??

The Warlord

Mongoose
So, what's the release date?
Seems like it's been listed as a 'new release this month' for like two months now.

Maybe I just need a new Conan fix... :(

Matt said it was supposed to be out late last month so it shouldnt be too far away now, im looking forward to it as well :)

spawn said:
Matt said it was supposed to be out late last month so it shouldnt be too far away now, im looking forward to it as well :)
they could also wait for the next sourcebook to be finished (Free companies) and let them out on their Open Day festival.

That's all well and good , but speaking as a loyal customer who's bought every Conan book as soon as it was released , why should I and others like me be penalised for not attending the open day ( if they are holding things back as conjectured ) . The Conan release schedule has been implemented in an incredibly shoddy way - why advertise a release date that can't be achieved ? I know Mongoose publish a lot of stuff , but if they can't keep up what's the point ? Reading through the threads on the forums , this is obviously annoying a lot of people and is going to lose Mongoose custom if it continues .
Personally speaking , I'd be a lot less annoyed if the Mongoose staff would at least let us know via the forums if a product is going to be delayed , quite a few people have been asking when Thunder River is coming out for about 2 months now and no-one seems to be answering .
Sorry to moan guys , but the least you could do is keep us informed .

cornelius said:
The Conan release schedule has been implemented in an incredibly shoddy way - why advertise a release date that can't be achieved ?

I have to disagree here. I think Mongoose has (overall) done an excellent job releasing product in a timely manner. Thunder River is the only product I am aware of which has been delayed. If you think this is bad, you have obviously never dealt with Decipher! I was a fan of the LotR and Star Trek RPG lines they produced and every single release date they advertised was missed by 4-12 MONTHS. It git so bad, they stopped giving release dates, then they just stopped producing product all together. Their customer support was THE WORST.

Mongoose on the other hand has been meeting dates (even though the editing has been a little shaky) and has provided other goodies via the Sons of Cimeria program.

Think about it, in 10 months they have released 3 hardbacks, 2 soft backs, a GM screen, a pdf adventure and numerous articles via their trade mag.

I for one feel this is a mighty accomplishment which deserves much praise. Thanks again Mongoose! Keep up the good work!

Here's two mongoose admin's commenting on Thunder River:

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3597&highlight=release+date

Official Links:
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/scheduled.php

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/rpg/series.php?qsSeries=7

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/rpg/detail.php?qsID=534&qsSeries=Conan

Here's the author (V. Darlage) commenting on Shadizar:
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3791&start=0

Here's a mongoose admin commenting on Road of Kings:
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2700&highlight=release+date

Here's another Conan author (shannon) talking about releases:
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2755&highlight=release+date

cornelius said:
... The Conan release schedule has been implemented in an incredibly shoddy way - why advertise a release date that can't be achieved ? I know Mongoose publish a lot of stuff , but if they can't keep up what's the point ? Reading through the threads on the forums , this is obviously annoying a lot of people and is going to lose Mongoose custom if it continues .
Personally speaking , I'd be a lot less annoyed if the Mongoose staff would at least let us know via the forums if a product is going to be delayed , quite a few people have been asking when Thunder River is coming out for about 2 months now and no-one seems to be answering .

A "shoddy way"??? Annoying a lot of people???

I'd be a lot less annoyed if people such as yourself refrained from posting until their cranium was completely removed from their rectum.

Check the above links, and maybe even try a search for "release date" and you'll see that Mongoose regularly answers questions regarding product release, even going so far as to mention where in the production process the book is.

They don't give specific dates because much of the process is out of their control (writers, artists, printers, etc.). They do not give dates because the forums are infested with crying whine-monkeys who bitch and moan everytime something doesn't come out the day it was supposed to.

Mongoose usually answers questioning posts within a couple of days. If they don't, there's a good reason, like maybe they're trying to publish a sourcebook so people like you will QUIT WHINING!!!

I think this is also a matter of evolution of the product. Across Thunder River was first expected with 180 pages, then it went to 192. I suppose that the Mongosse is reading the forums and takes into consideration the ideas given within and decides sometimes to change the initial product to suit the demand, what is truly excellent and nice.
Then if there is a scenario that wasn't expected at first, it has now to be tested, hence the delay.
As MightyCthulhu says, Mongoose has done a good job until now in releases and in quality, so we shouldn't complain too much.

Anonymous said:
I think this is also a matter of evolution of the product. Across Thunder River was first expected with 180 pages, then it went to 192. I suppose that the Mongosse is reading the forums and takes into consideration the ideas given within and decides sometimes to change the initial product to suit the demand, what is truly excellent and nice.
Then if there is a scenario that wasn't expected at first, it has now to be tested, hence the delay.
As MightyCthulhu says, Mongoose has done a good job until now in releases and in quality, so we shouldn't complain too much.
I was the guest.

Guys, to be clear, I did NOT start this thread to bitch and moan. The fact is this Conan line is the best line of RPG material I've bought in over a decade. I just simply can't get enough, and was hoping to hear if anyone had an eduacted guess as to it's 'new' release date.

BullBear said:
Guys, to be clear, I did NOT start this thread to bitch and moan. The fact is this Conan line is the best line of RPG material I've bought in over a decade. I just simply can't get enough, and was hoping to hear if anyone had an eduacted guess as to it's 'new' release date.

Whoa. My post was not in any way, shape or form, directed at you. This thread was like many others we have had regarding upcoming products. If you check the links I posted, you'll see threads regarding RoK, Shadizar and ATR. In all of them, people posted questions about upcoming products, Mongoose answered them and there was some good natured griping and joking.

At no point did anyone degenerate the conversation like Cornelius did.

To restate, my post was directed solely at Cornelius, in response to his attack on Mongoose.

Bullbear, I apologize if I gave the wrong impression.

I'd also suggest that they are probably giving it a thourough going over since we keep reminding them of all the typos they make and eratta that's needed. (lol)

Complaining guys...chill out. :D

Sutek said:
I'd also suggest that they are probably giving it a thourough going over since we keep reminding them of all the typos they make and eratta that's needed. (lol)

Complaining guys...chill out. :D
That's called "constructive complaining". :wink:

conan is great and mongoose are better than any other company in supporting there games and buyers for example the main man matt has just passed the 1000 post mark keeping everyone informed and up too date 8) the open day I think has surprised them as from a small event with only a few people coming think the amount of people wanting to see the mongoose is going too be great but no one has said anywere that this has delayed any publishing and the guys are the first to put there hands up when something goes pear shaped :shock:

I too am looking forward to this release. If it means I have to wait a few weeks longer, for it to be flawless, then so be it. Although I too would prefer not to have known it was late. Maybe I'll stop reading the Release Dates instead. :wink:

And Darth Mikey, Cornelius was merely stating what alot of us are thinking. I'm sure there isn't a single person amongst us who can't wait for Thunder River. There's no need to talk like that. This is a discussion board, not a flaming board. Besides didn't your mother ever tell you "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." Cornelius' post was a contructive criticism. Yours was just insulting.

Again, before I coninue, let me state that I am in no way slamming the posters who were simply asking about a release date.

Lucius said:
And Darth Mikey, Cornelius was merely stating what alot of us are thinking. I'm sure there isn't a single person amongst us who can't wait for Thunder River. There's no need to talk like that. This is a discussion board, not a flaming board. Besides didn't your mother ever tell you "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." Cornelius' post was a contructive criticism. Yours was just insulting.

First off, being excited about an upcoming product does not entitle you to badmouth the company because said product was not released quick enough to tickle your undies.

When the Conan game was first released there was a massive, I repeat MASSIVE, outcry of griping because of typos. Many, many posters stated that they would rather see a book come out LATE rather than riddled with typos.

Now, when publishing takes too long, they are accused of shoddy scheduling. Do you see a problem here? I do.

And yes, my friend, there is need to talk like that. The poster in question referred to a "shoddy release schedule" and stated that Mongoose was not answering questions posted in these forums.

Again, there are multiple factors in publishing games that are entirely out of Mongoose's immediate control. To badmouth a company because a book is a few weeks beyond the projected release date implies a complete lack of comprehension. Hell, there are companies out there that are years behind schedule, and you people are whining about a couple of weeks?

There are also threads where multiple Mongoose employees, including authors have answered questions, discussed criticisms and talked about upcoming products. And people whine because they're a few days slow answering the latest question?

And son, if you consider my previous post a flame then you should go check out some other forums, cause that was nothing.

And as far as "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" goes, I think there are a lot of posters on these boards that should read that next time they post.

There are many companies that talk of projected releases but sometimes the sourcebooks never come out because said companies close down. So I prefer that a good book comes late than not at all.

I give here 2 reknown examples:
- Warhammer FRPG: The realms of sorcery scheduled in the end 80's was released in 2001.
- Runequest: there again an extension entitled Heroquest (for advanced characters) was scheduled in the 80's and was also released in 2001.

There is no matter of life and death (their shouldn't anyway) so what if a book comes out with a delay of 4 weeks or 2 months? :D

cornelius said:
That's all well and good , but speaking as a loyal customer who's bought every Conan book as soon as it was released , why should I and others like me be penalised for not attending the open day ( if they are holding things back as conjectured ) . The Conan release schedule has been implemented in an incredibly shoddy way - why advertise a release date that can't be achieved ? I know Mongoose publish a lot of stuff , but if they can't keep up what's the point ? Reading through the threads on the forums , this is obviously annoying a lot of people and is going to lose Mongoose custom if it continues .

If you come to the Open Day you will get the chance to see Rich Neale giving a master class on line development and editing. That will show you the literally dozens of things that can put a spanner in a release date.

As for keeping you guys informed, i thought we did a pretty decent job. Thing is, if we spend all our time on the forums, who gets the books done? :roll:

Lucius said:
I too am looking forward to this release. If it means I have to wait a few weeks longer, for it to be flawless, then so be it. Although I too would prefer not to have known it was late. Maybe I'll stop reading the Release Dates instead. :wink:

As a clue for Thunder River, I decided that I wanted the selection of maps we have collected for the book coloured using acrylics. Slight delay but wait till you see the maps... :D

Back