The Darklands - I Have It

Ordovician

Mongoose
So today, my copy of Darklands got here. Weighs in at 128 pages (counting a nifty map of Helgedad in the back).

Contents:

- Geography of the Darklands
- Helgedad: The Eye of Evil
- Darklands Characters
- The Darklords
- Tools of Evil
- Creatures of Darkness

Geography of the Darklands is a rundown of the various provinces/regions of the Darklands, their Darklord rulers, special effects that may effect your character if he goes there (you take freezing damage in Gourizaga, for instance, and if you die from frost you come back under Ixiataaga's control, even though he's not a Darklord).

Helgedad is a gazetteer of the Black City. My one complaint is that I wish the Helgedad map was a bit closer to this section - it refers to the numbered structures in this chapter, and when reading the map one has to flip back and forth.

The Darklands characters section gives two new base classes (Dark Cultist and Dark Warrior). The Dark Cultist is a right-hand practitioner who chooses his tiered powers by the deity he chooses to devote himself to. Provided deities are Karaushnith (lust and gluttony), Naar, Tharayn (madness), Vurnos (plague), and Xhagvash (death). One could also house-rule them to make guys like the Acolytes of Vashna, and already have visions of Acolyte classes for the other Darklords. It also gives three advanced classes (Breedmaster, Cult Leader, and Death Knight).

The Darklords chapter is pretty sweet, giving stats of all the Darklords, and I mean all. Just for reference: Chlanzor, Dakushna, Ghanesh, Ghurch, Gnaag (my fave), Haakon, Khatellu, Kraagenskul, Menashga, Mrugor, Nhorg, Shebnar, Slutar, Taktaal, Tomogh, Unc, Xog, Zagarna, and Zhanshal.

Tools of Evil gives you stats on the items of the Darklands. Zejar-dulaga arrows, special Kraan and Giak weapons, and nifty write-ups of things like Doomstones, Helshezag, Nadazgada, and the Nyras Sceptre.

Creatures of Darkness is on, well, the monsters of the Darklands. Gives details on the structure of Darklands armies, Giak regiments, etc. Statted monsters: Agarashi (Blood, Poison), Antah Wasps, Bangrol, Barren Souls, Crocaryx, Curseborn, Degradon, Dhax, Egorgh, Foul Servants, Giak (Desert, Forest, Ice, Mountain, Swamp, Wild), Ictakko, Liganim, Mind Reaper, Nadziranim, Plaak, Sea-Scavenger, Tzarg, Vladoka, Xaghash, Yawshath.

Looks like Eternalknight and I need to edit our list of monsters. Some stats I don't like (the Crocaryx mainly serve the Darklords? but that's minor and easily changed), and some things are new to me. The Tzarg in the series is a beast of burden used along the Storn. The Tzarg here seems to me to be like the Xlorg from Jungle of Horrors. I wonder if Dever originally had the Tzarg and Xlorg as the same thing? I like the Mongoose Yawshath better than mine. This one's a battle behemoth. ;)

All in all, I'm glad I decided to skip over converting Masters of Darkness. ;)

Already got a new game idea from the book.

But a question to end: in the main RPG book, it says that the Maakenmire is ruled by a Darklord, but this book doesn't even mention the Maakenmire, nor any Darklord who rules it. Clarification? Or is this free-reign DM territory? ;)

The Maakengorge is such a hotbed of Darklords politicking, its ruler changes too often to define. Thus, GMs get free reign! :)

-A

Eternalknight said:
So, who is the stongest Darklord?
Endurance-wise, it's a tie between Ghurch and Slutar. Challenge Rating-wise, it's a tie between the three Archlords of the series, Haakon, Gnaag, and Zagarna. Zagarna has the special Archlord traits, though, so that makes it Gnaag or Haakon.

What about Vashna, is he in there? If so, how tough is he?

And what are Gnaag's sword and Helshezag like roughly?

8)

Eternalknight said:
taylor said:

8)

I'd be surprised if he was; after all, he is dead in MS 5000 :wink:
Yeah, but it'd be nice to see him in there for completeness' sake. :)

Thanks for the summary Ordovician, it's really appreciated. Amazon.ca now says the book ships in 6-8 weeks, instead of 1-3 months. Hopefully they'll get it before the end of the month!

taylor said:

No Vashna, sorry. The Dagger of Vashna is in here (it has further powers when a Darklord has it), and there's stuff on the ritual to resurrect him, though.

Forgot -- all Darklords inflict grievous wounds. So that's some Fortitude saves vs. death everytime you get hit.

Helshezag is a Large Broadsword +5 and inflicts the Dark Chills disease if you fail a save after being hit.

Nadazgada (Gnaag's sword) is a Large Broadsword +6, and it burns whoever it hits with darkfire, if it doesn't kill them right out.

There's also stuff on Nahelzagrath, the sword of Zagarna. A Gargantuan Broadsword +7, get burnt by darkfire, have a chance of losing Constitution even if you don't die, and on top of all that there's a hole in the pommel where maybe a Doomstone goes.

I don't like in the stats for the Doomstones how the Doomstone of Darke acts as the One Ring and gives power over all the other Doomstones. If anyhting, as they're made by Agarash, I could see a Doomstone of Naaros doing that.

This book sounds very cool. I can't wait to pick it up. Hopefully it hits store shelves soon.

..........................Omote
FPQ

Ordovician said:
I don't like in the stats for the Doomstones how the Doomstone of Darke acts as the One Ring and gives power over all the other Doomstones. If anyhting, as they're made by Agarash, I could see a Doomstone of Naaros doing that.

Glad you like the majority of the book, sir, but as for the Doomstone of Darke controlling the others, that is straight from Dever's notes. I embellished slightly (with approval and even praise, :) ) but that's not from me.

Take care,
-A

Mongoose August said:
as for the Doomstone of Darke controlling the others, that is straight from Dever's notes.
Oh. I retract that, then. Speaking of which, did he himself drop any hints as to what the other four Doomstones were? ;)

Let's just say that, regarding the other four stones (and a fifth, which is only mentioned in passing but that I get to play with (hee, hee)), there's an S&P article coming soonish.

Your questions will be answered then.

-A

It's arrived in Australia (at least when pre-ordered from Mongoose). After a quick browse through it I am impressed; the Giak language might have been a nice touch, but maybe it could be done as a S&P article. ANyway, another hit!

So, EK, how 'bout that Yawshath in there? Quite a bit more powerful than mine. Between that thing and the Dakomyd, it's a wonder Lone Wolf got through #6. ;)

How do you guys have it? Amazon says it won't ship for weeks. And Mongoose says its still a preorder. Do your RPG shops have it?

JON

Back