The Darklands - I Have It

Anonymous said:
anyone who ordered fmor amazon.com get it yet? I got the rulebook as soon as it was released, (from amazon), sooner than many people who ordered it off of mongoose got it. But darklands I ordered over a month ago on amazon, and they still say 4 weeks. Grrr.

FOUR WEEKS!!!

I ordered it from amazon as well, but according to what they gave me it should be shipping sometime between now and August 6th I believe. Hopefully sooner than later!

PS: I sure hope it's not four weeks that would make me very

:(

Wow! It shipped today and I only ordered it yesterday! :shock: If all goes well, I should have it Tuesday, since post stands still on Sundays. If it arrives all well and unharmed I shall be using gameslore again for certain.

Yes, they are good. I ordered No Surrender, No Retreat and Darklands late on Wednesday evening. They arrived on Friday. And they were less than £30 incl. postage.

columbob said:
Amazon.ca shortly said 4-7 weeks yesterday, now they're back to 5-7 weeks. The wait is getting long!

At least they are listing a time limit. Amazon.uk hasn't even got that. Ever since the main book was released, the Darklands have been listed as "Out of Stock - Order it Used".

I have found 3 other UK sites listing it as instock (Looks like Amazon aren't upto speed with this book). I have cancelled my Amazon order and ordered it from one of these.

Also a couple of copies left at http://www.dancingdryad.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=234

</shamelessplug>

here in austria we´ll have to wait at least 3 more weeks till it moves across our borders

i hate to wait that long :)

Methos said:
here in austria we´ll have to wait at least 3 more weeks till it moves across our borders

i hate to wait that long :)

If you're really desperate, drop me an email and I can set up a one-off airmail shipping quote :)

Amazon.ca now says it's available in 5-8 weeks. Back to square one! The thing that bugs me is that I've seen it in stores a couple of weeks ago, so why is it taking so long for them? The got the main rulebook around mid-June, so they should be getting this one by next week, right?

If you've seen it at a local store, I suggest encouraging them.
BTW, do you live near Montréal or Québec ?
What was the store ?

redlaco said:
If you've seen it at a local store, I suggest encouraging them.
BTW, do you live near Montréal or Québec ?
What was the store ?

Gatineau, right across from Ottawa. Fandom II's the store.

The problem is that I placed my order with Amazon over 2 months ago (June 4), together with the rulebook. They were both listed as available in 1-3 months, and back then, I had no idea whether they were new releases or had been out for a while.

In fact, Amazon.ca stated (and still states, I believe) that the rulebook was released in October last year and that Darklands was released in May. I figured I could wait the 1-3 months, and also ordered a back ordered book, so they could have time to ship together.

Now, two months later, they already sent me the RPG ( :D ), but I'm still waiting for my other two books.

I have not yet recieved my copy, and so was wondering, how are the acolyte spells in it? Are the evil wizards a match for the heroic classes?

I don't have my copy yet...

So the book has stats for 19 of the Darklords, right? (No Vashna, because Vashna's long since dead). But going by that standard, shouldn't it only be 13 Darklords listed in the book? Cause in the Long Wolf RPG book, it says that Vashna killed 2 or 3 other Darklords to become Archlord. And later, it mentions Zagarna killed 3 other Darklords himself to become Archlord.

So by the time period of the roleplaying book, (50 years before "Flight from the Dark") aren't there only like 13 Darklords alive? So why stats for 19 Darklords?

wonderfly said:
So by the time period of the roleplaying book, (50 years before "Flight from the Dark") aren't there only like 13 Darklords alive? So why stats for 19 Darklords?

I made a little research on this subject: in Newsletter #6
( http://www.projectaon.org/~simon/Newsletter_06.pdf ), Joe Dever states that in MS 5050 (Massacre of the Kai) only 16 Darklords are still alive. This would confirm that Vasha killed 3 Darklords. However, in a later issue ( http://www.projectaon.org/~simon/Newsletter_NY87.pdf ), he seems to
have changed his mind: none of the Darklords died before the Massacre of the Kai, except for Vashna, who is not really dead.
Personally, I consider the latter to be canon, so "The Darklands" is right on this matter, at least from my perspective.

This question is covered in another thread, but for completeness' sake, I will explain here:

Essentially, there is a disparity of sorts between the notes and sources the RPG is based on and the numbers involved. This is really not a problem, as it is one of Naar's explicit powers to be able to spawn and even ressurrect minions not directly slain by divinities or agents of divinities other than himself.

Thus, there is no real paradox as Naar could simply (and as far as the author is concerned did) bring back Darklords once other Darklords slew them. Odds are, this happened ~constantly~ in the early years of the Darklands as the Darklords jockeyed for position. Odds are each death took its toll on their powers to the point where the Darklords agreed silently not to kill each other any more... unless it suited their needs.

After all, if one considers the non-chalant way Gnaag takes the death of Taktaal in the throne room of Helgedad, it could easily be seen that Gnaag assumed his 'brother' would return soon. If they were really deathless beings from which obvilion was inescapable, he would probably have taken the annihilation of a 'loyal' Darklord a LOT harder.

Just a thought,
-August

I miss the boxed text descriptions of the monsters, as done in The Lone Wolf RPG book.

My players seemed to like these descriptions a lot, any reason this practice wasn't continued in the Darklands book? Also, the descriptions within the regular text seemed lacking...

for example, the Nadziranim, how about some specific examples of what some look like?

And Xagash..."towering reptilian"...come on, I need more description than that (yes, even with the picture)!

Overall, great book though, I highly recommend it!

To make the darklord returning analogy simpler, I would assume any darklords killed inside the darklands return eventully at some point. The only exception I would state is if they were killed by the sommerswerd.

Back