Thanks

abrilt

Mongoose
Just wanted to say thanks to Mongoose for bringing this game back and in the way that they did - Traveller has been a favorite of mine since the days of the little black books and where my young junior high classmates
and I thought we had to hi-jack a ship to get one!!!

I am glad that the original has been preserved and made better rather than some of the other versions over the years!!

I just finished reading (cover to cover) the pocket version and I have on order the Main book (full size), the Spinward Marches and Mercenary (though some reviews of Mercenary were not so favorable - I don't care I will buy it all!!!)

So once again thanks!!!!

I think you will really like the Spinward Marches book (although they are all good). It gives you SO MUCH more than the original LBB. You get a lot of info on how the 3I works as well as the actual UWPs for the planets. Each subsector has a couple of planets written up in a few paragraphs. Some of them are from old CT articles or adventures, so if you have the history, you can go "OH YEAH! I remember how that goes!"

(well I did anyway...).

High Guard is very good too.

Well I feel too very happy with what Mongoose has done. I feel too that their stated success over this past 6 months has been because of the Traveller game. All the books that have come out so far and all the new ones planned over the next couple of months make me extremely happy with what is planned. I have Pre-Ordered them all and will continue to order them directly from Mongoose still. Heck I am going to Pre-Order a few more here shortly just to make sure I get them all. Being that I have played Traveller from the very beginnings of the game 30+ years now I have a huge collection of Traveller stuff, and plan to buy it all regardless. BTW for the record I HAVE NOT bought the T5 cd though...maybe when and if it ever comes out in "printed format" then I might buy that...maybe!!!

Penn

Bygoneyrs said:
I HAVE NOT bought the T5 cd though...maybe when and if it ever comes out in "printed format" then I might buy that...maybe!!!

You have some time to think about it. Indicators are that T5 is not nearly ready for Prime Time.

Honestly I think T5 is Marc's last best hope of doing anything and that work might take him to his death. He is a older guy now and like Gary G. with D&D he is trying to relive the past glory of his creation. There is nothing wrong with that, but it will be hard for him to pull it all together and build a better "mouse-trap"...aka..new version of Traveller. Mongoose is doing it but in a different way and doing it well if you ask me.

Penn

Bygoneyrs said:
Honestly I think T5 is Marc's last best hope of doing anything and that work might take him to his death. He is a older guy now and like Gary G. with D&D he is trying to relive the past glory of his creation. There is nothing wrong with that, but it will be hard for him to pull it all together and build a better "mouse-trap"...aka..new version of Traveller. Mongoose is doing it but in a different way and doing it well if you ask me.

Penn

On the first part, I believe you are correct.
On the second part, Some of those great new things that you are seeing are:
1) fully approved by Marc
2) some what taken from the things found in T5
3) actually helping T5 move forward since there is such an interest in the Traveller game in sales and players.

Just FYI.

Dave Chase

I've said this before, including to Marc, so nobody will fdie of fright, but...

In my opinion, T5 is not 'a game you can play' in the way that CT was. It's a vast collection of rules for every posssible thing.

It would be possible to cull a playable game from this right now, and in many ways it would be a good approach - CT suffered from being a very basic set of mechanics onto which things were then bolted. A T5 derived game would benefit from all the add-ons having been considered before the core mechanics were set, which would make expansion easy and consistent.

As I see it, while Marc is adding to the T5 database of rules and concepts, or whatever you call it, he's not so much creating a 'game you can play' as laying the groundwork for one. At some point he'll have to strip it right back down to what's going into a playable game.

I'd expect to see that phase of the T5 project become a set of fairly small modules, each covering one aspect of the game and fitting together within the framework of the larger project.

The temptation to keep adding stuff to the database could be an obstacle to getting this phase started though. But at some point it will be necessary to darw a line under all the development work and start producing a game from it.

Well said MJD.

And to the well informed, that is a more than likely very true statement.

Mongoose has been reviewing and adding some of the bit from T5 that they like and make sense.

To those that have not seen T5, or understand the direction that Traveller appears to be taking, it could seem that Mongoose is just adding things at random.

Not true. Everything that Mongoose puts in their material is approved by Marc.

And no matter what version diehard you are (Me, Im CT, but use a bit of all the others), to me that makes Mongoose's Traveller the lastest and most correctest of Traveller material.

That does not invalidate the older material. It just means that what's current is Mongoose.

Dave Chase

Mongoose is certainly doing an excellent job of keeping the game alive in a way that gets new players for it. And some of their stuff is actually usable. So good on them.

captainjack23 said:
MJD said:
That's an intriguing sig line, Dave...

Yes, always nice to bring in issues from other boards.

Not bringing issues from other forums. Just testing the waters to see what interest is here for T5.

I just also happen to be mentioning my reasons for bringing up the T5 product as discussion on Mongoose forums.

You might note: that I have many times responded or pointed out things about Mongoose and T5. Many of them positive in nature.

Look, I am very happy about the number of boards and especially (thank you Mongoose) for influx of new players to Traveller.

Mongoose board should be about Mongoose products. When that product is a license or part of a license, it would only make sense to talk about that license (with in reason) and the products Mongoose makes with under that license.

T5 is and will be part of the Traveller line.

If anyone has any more questions about T5 and how it can and will relate to Mongoose's Traveller, ask, in a new thread (or PM me) and I will respond.

If you want to know more about T5 by itself, PM me or contact FFE. This is Mongoose forum after all.

If you want to know more about other things, PM me as well.

You will find me to be very open about things. Doesnt mean we will agree but I will listen and be very open about it.

EDIT
I see no reason to delete or remove what I posted.
It has been taken to a PM format and I have been reported for this post and my sig.
Thank you for your time.
END EDIT

Dave Chase

***moved to PM****

FINAL EDIT: Thanks Dave, for responding to the issues I clumsily raised. I appreciate the change in sig. My lesson here is that Dave is very willing to deal in PM, as he says. Sorry I didn't go there first, this time; oh yeah, complaint dropped, too.

captainjack23 said:
And that's all I have to say on this outside of a PM.

That's where it should have been to start with.

If you have a problem with it, report it privately to Matt and spare us your commentary. It sure as hell isn't your place to accuse others of "weasel speak".

EDG said:
captainjack23 said:
And that's all I have to say on this outside of a PM.

That's where it should have been to start with.

If you have a problem with it, report it privately to Matt and spare us your commentary. It sure as hell isn't your place to accuse others of "weasel speak".

Done, and deleted. Move on. nothing to see here.....

I'm not sure there IS a lot to discuss about T5. Like I said it seems to be a work in progress and likely to stay that way for some time before moving to the final making-a-game-from-the-components phase. What eventually emerges will be interesting but I bet my shoes it won't be soon.

(BTW - I didn't get the T5 CD. I'm speaking from general information picked up here and there. I understand that there was some kind of non-disclosure request with the T5 CD. I'm not breaching any such thing as I don't have access to the information that came with the request. I'm just putting 2 and 2 together from what I know of the project to date.)

All that said, I'm MUCH more interested in Mongoose Traveller as it's here, now. There's stuff coming out for it from Mongoose and Avenger. This is where it's happening here and now... so this is what I'm interested in discussing.

In any case, my own perspective is very clear.... I get paid to care about Mongoose Traveller and Avenger Traveller... and I don't get paid to care about T5 or T20. If someone feels like giving me money, I'd be happy to change that...!

MJD said:
In any case, my own perspective is very clear.... I get paid to care about Mongoose Traveller and Avenger Traveller...
I really wish someone would pay you to care about Translight, too ... :(

Seriously, as much as I enjoy the Traveller revival created by Mongoose
Traveller, a percentile system science fiction roleplaying game would be a
most welcome addition to my "toolbox" (if not more). :wink:

Back on topic: In my view, Mongoose Traveller is far from perfect, but it
is more than good enough to be thankful that it is here, and that it is con-
tinuing and expanding. :D

rust said:
Seriously, as much as I enjoy the Traveller revival created by Mongoose Traveller, a percentile system science fiction roleplaying game would be a most welcome addition to my "toolbox" (if not more). :wink:

Wouldn't that be BRP? Or even something like "Cthulhu Now" without the horror elements?

EDG said:
Wouldn't that be BRP? Or even something like "Cthulhu Now" without the horror elements?
Unfortunately BRP has an excellent system, but until now almost no gen-
re specific material for science fiction (except Ringworld and other out of
print stuff), and the science fiction versions of Call of Cthulhu (Cthulhu
End Time and Cthulhu Rising) contain lots of very good ideas, but do not
really cover the entire science fiction spectrum.

So, when I learned that a certain MJD (one of my favourite authors, but
do not tell him) was working on a percentile based science fiction role-
playing game named Translight ... :D

rust said:
Back on topic: In my view, Mongoose Traveller is far from perfect, but it
is more than good enough to be thankful that it is here, and that it is con-
tinuing and expanding. :D

Rust, you've cut to the heart of the matter. I like MGT -and without being argumentative, or fanboiish, it is damned good. As to perfect ? Not sure if that is "an achievable goal that allows the potential of a well defined success experience within specified parameters" as marketing would say. ;)

Back