Thanks

EDG is right, as usual.

I think Martin was saying that he wasn't allowed to publish any of his reclaimed Gateway material because Marc had declared that only QLI were allowed to publish material set in that area. So Martin owned the manuscripts again... but couldn't publish them because the area that they were set in was the exclusive territory of the company he'd just wrested it from (and who hasn't even published anything else set in that territory since then anyway).

Yes. I own the manuscripts as my IP but am not allowed to publish them as originally written due to alleged licensing issues. I *have* made used of revised versions of parts of the text, in various ways.

Let's think about that for a sec. There's publishable material there that presumably could directly make the licensor some money from royalties from sales, and it doesn't get published because he tells the licensee to get a sub-license from the people who left the licensee hanging for so long that he gave up and reclaimed the manuscripts from them in the first place.

Only one of the books (T20 players book) couldn't be published elsewhere. So I put that out on a new deal with QLI. As of today, they are a year in arrears on payments.

As EDG says, there is publishable mateiral here, and QLI have done nothing signigicant since I left. I have demonstrated willingness to make a new deal and work with them (T20 players book). Had they met their obligations on that deal, I'd have been willing to come to an arrangement about the rest of the material . The Players Book, which I could not really use outside of QLI/T20, was an experiment on my part to see if this was viable. It was not, obviously.

There was a chance here for QLI to get back into the game and for me to make a return on my work at last. Not any more - publishing through QLI benefits me less than just giving the material away, since it makes money for someone else but nothing for me.

Of course Martin's not going to do that - nobody would. So everyone loses - Martin can't publish his hard work and make a return on his valuable time and effort, Marc doesn't get anything from the sales, and the fans don't see the work at all. It's lose-lose-lose all around, just seems completely crazy from a business point of view.

I don't blame Marc for that, not much anyway. I would have preferred a different decision, or clearer explanation of what my handshake license let me do and not do, or maybe just a little slack given the circumstances. But overall he was handed a situation he'd only really heard one side of (not mine) and made a decision that presumably made sense to him at the time.

Yes, everyone lost on this one. But I lost less than most. QLI quite obviously needed me more than I needed QLI. That sounds egotistical, but look what's happened in the past four years since I left.

QLI: Not much.
Me: Lots of Avenger and Mongoose Traveller, plus mainstream books. Result is that I now make more than twice as much as I did during the best time with QLI.

I put forward a plan for minor win all round. It was rejected. So I got out of that game and moved on. Now I'm winning elsewhere and QLI, well, isn't.

Time was when I would not have said stuff like this in public, but QLI is now ranked for me up there with Imperium Games and the other companies that decided not to pay me for my work. It seems like that's a mistake, sicne I have been known to contribute to the success of a product line....

All that said, if QLI got in touch, offered an explanation and a settlement on what I'm owed, I have at least one complete manuscript they could publish as fast as they could lay it out. If the terms were right I'd be willing. After all, I do this for a living.

Doesn't seem likely though.

As someone said at Conpulsion recently:
"I'm in yer castle, not mincin' my words"

This exclusivity over Gateway in the 993 era was never confirmed by Marc.

It may or may not be over-written by the Mongoose license, but Mongoose are unlikely to bother. They're heavily supporting the 1105 background and division of effort isn't a good idea.

Other eras are probably all right.

Indeed, I have permission from Marc to do a 1248-Gateway supplement, so I infer that the region is OK in other times and only the 993 QLI house setting is exclsive, assuming that this assertion was in fact correct.

It all becomes academic in a couple of years anyway, since QLI's license will expire then. Seems unlikely that it will be renewed, given the lack of new products over the past few years. At that point the whole question will just go away.

It's not in my interest to try to challenge this right now - I have more work on than I can do at present, and if I want more I can do Avenger 1105 materials which are selling very well. So, I can generate more new win with less effort than I could by trying to wrest win from fail in Gateway domain.

It's a shame that the materials won't be available to the fans, but that's not my fault. I did the work and kept my end of the deal. I then tried other avenues and was blocked. All I've really done is refused to give my work away for free, which doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

MJD said:
or clearer explanation of what my handshake license let me do and not do

That's the problem with "handshake licenses", they're usually unclear and non-binding. And if the IP owner drops out of touch or gets bored with you or doesn't respond to your enquiries, you're screwed.

I really hope that Mongoose has an airtight, explicit, signed legal contract written on paper with him.

Dave Chase said:
The impression that I have is that Mongoose will be able to publish what they want AFTER the other licenses have expired.

I *would* assume that Mongoose is doing a Solomani book eventually so that means a Solomani Rim sector material in the Solomani book.

So certain areas of the OTU can be done by Mongoose but just not Gateway.

Mike

I suspect that Mongoose *can* do a Gateway book.

The prohibition was alleged by QLI and never confirmed by Marc.

"Of course Martin's not going to do that - nobody would. So everyone loses - Martin can't publish his hard work and make a return on his valuable time and effort, Marc doesn't get anything from the sales, and the fans don't see the work at all. It's lose-lose-lose all around, just seems completely crazy from a business point of view."

True, it really sucks, its a real waste of Martin's work, time and talent
I'm glad he is now going to work on Mongoose Traveller, I would love to see him work for T5 sometime too (I do have an interest in it, bought the CD and all, but it will probably be too complex for me to run, I really like simple games, but I can try)

I think you were at the planel Alan, so you know how it goes:

"T5? Sure. Are you going to give me money for this?"

Heh,heh

that is a completely fair approach, yep

being honest, as I say, I would really like to see both games flourish, (just a fanboy at heart :oops: ) and I hope to be able to support both
(as far as my new darn budget will allow anyhow)

I do feel that Traveller has a whole new lease of life now though thanks to the work and effort of Martin, Marc and Mongoose (ranked in no particular order of seniority there guys :D )

I really do agree with comments folks said earlier, Martin really does deserve kudos for all the work he has put into Traveller and we should be grateful that after all this furor he is sticking with it.

I wanted to ask about 1248 too, (I have barely got into the books yet to be honest so I dont know if the Spinward Marches book tied everything up for good or n ot) that is a pretty exciting setting and makes a lot of sense for the future of the Traveller timeline

It would be nice to see Mongoose adopt this setting sometime (but I guess they are tied strictly in to the Marches at the mo, and nought wrong with that either)

Anyhow, just my tuppence worth :D

Things are looking very good right now. The deal with Mongoose allows Avenger to do what we've always done with a minimum of interference and hassle. Meanwhile I'm also working on the main Mongoose product line as well. it's all good.

I regret the involvement with QLI, given how it turned out. Well, not the early days, but there was a point where things started going downhill and on two occasions I chose to stay aboard rather than getting out to do something better. I do regret that because it cost me a lot of money and heartache.

In the final analysis, I survived and I'm doing OK now. I confess to a certain amusement that my position is actually better than it might have been if QLI had accepted my modest win-win proposal. Had that happened, there would have been more T20 and QLI would likely still be in business, but I would probably be making about half as much money as I am.

In demanding a totally one-sided 'deal', QLI caused me move on. We both lost out, but it turns out that I could survive what I lost and they could not.

Interesting, then, to specualte what drove QLI's success. While I was there they did OK. When they alienated me, they capsized and sank. That wasn't my doing, I just wasn't there to prevent it.

Despite everything I don't really wish QLI ill, but I hope to be forgiven if I point and laugh. Just a little bit....

Heh. Those nails seem to be made from money. That's good for me.. as we know, I like money.

MJD said:
Heh. Those nails seem to be made from money. That's good for me.. as we know, I like money.

There comes a time in every RPG writer's life when he realises that you can buy things with money. . .

For what it's worth, Mongoose is the best thing that could have happened to Traveller. I really believe that - despite the fact that the licensing situation caused me to lose out in the short term, ie the non-renewal of the old Avenger license.

For the game to be relevant to a current generation of players, it needed a single publisher, single product line and a clear vision for where to go. Mongoose can supply all of those, and (from my perspective) the best thing is that they're a professional outfit. Rather than BIG TALK about BIG PLANS, Mongoose deliver. Oh, and they pay their invoices too.

I see Mongoose as a professional publishing house whose product is games, rather than a games company. That's a compliment, BTW. I've worked with a lot of games companies over the years and these days (other than my own Avenger), the only company I freelance for in this industry is Mongoose.

Putting Traveller in the hands of professioanls rather than gamers who decided to start a games company has ensured that it will grow and reach a new audience. This is a good thing....

Greatstuff
It really does sound like everything is going down the best possible road :D

Oh, just got myself a copy of Fighting Ships from my FLGS yesterday, it was good to see a bunch of Traveller books prominently perched on the display rack 8)

I am really chuffed that Mongoose stuck with the old style covers too, that was a neat little tip o' the hat :D

MJD,

you did not answer my question about the future of Translight, and now
I wonder whether you missed it (here it is again ... :D ) or decided not
to answer it (which would be okay for me). :?

I have to agree with MJD that Mongoose is the best thing to happen to Traveller in years.

The turn out rate of new products is simply amazing - I'm having trouble keeping up as I both the print books and pdfs (I've got spinal problems so gone are the days when I could carry a backpack full of books round to a mates for a game session, but putting 'em on a memory stick that I can put on a keyring is ace), but a book is nice to sit around and read when I'm at home.

Speaking of which whens Prison Planet going to end up on Drivethru.

I'd really like to see a Solomani Rim book as the first published adventure I ran was Signal GK and we all know how that ended up :) .

So I hope Mongoose have one in the pipeline I think it would sell well.

I would like to thank Mongoose for bringing back the "ton" and saving me huge amounts of time which I used to spend typing "dton" ... :wink:

Charakan said:
Speaking of which whens Prison Planet going to end up on Drivethru.

Later this month!

Charakan said:
I'd really like to see a Solomani Rim book as the first published adventure I ran was Signal GK and we all know how that ended up :) .

So I hope Mongoose have one in the pipeline I think it would sell well.

I am afraid it will be a while before we get to the Solomani Rim. . .

MJD said:
For what it's worth, Mongoose is the best thing that could have happened to Traveller.

The best thing that could happen to Mongoose Traveller is to get an A:2089 book done !!!!

Shotgun Mike for the win!

:lol:

LBH

Back