Tablet-friendly PDFs!

heron61

Banded Mongoose
I just downloaded the new "Tablet-friendly PDFs" for the corebook, High Guard, the Traveller Companion, and the CSC, and I am very happy indeed. I have an 8" tablet that I used for reading ebooks, and it works perfectly for these PDFs. I wish more RPG companies did this, since reading a full-sized PDF on an 8" tablet either involves lots of side-scrolling or lots of squinting, neither of which makes for a particularly fun or useable experience.

Very good to hear - we would be very interested in hearing from more of you, using different tablets. If there are no major issues, we will go back through our Traveller range and do this for all the current PDFs.

Other than file size which means they open a bit quicker, they look the same to me. I've never had any issues opening or reading them or a Galaxy Tab S7+ - 12.4" or a Surface Pro or a Normal Laptop.

heron61 said:
I just downloaded the new "Tablet-friendly PDFs" for the corebook, High Guard, the Traveller Companion, and the CSC, and I am very happy indeed. I have an 8" tablet that I used for reading ebooks, and it works perfectly for these PDFs. I wish more RPG companies did this, since reading a full-sized PDF on an 8" tablet either involves lots of side-scrolling or lots of squinting, neither of which makes for a particularly fun or useable experience.

Where are these downloadable from?

OK, I have a brand new iPad Pro with the 12.9" display. Prior version of High Guard and the Core rulebook take 5ish seconds to render a page so it can be read. That isn't unusual for game pdfs, and makes them difficult to use.

This version of High Guard and the core rulebook take just 1 second to render which is WAY better and easier to use.

The Deepnight Revelation Referee's Guide, that I commented on a couple weeks ago, takes much less than a second. I almost can't see the render. I'm not sure what's different between the news ones and that, but it was definitely faster and more pleasant to read.

Thanks!

Haven’t had a chance to check out everything yet but the Companion is blazing fast on my few-years-old 10” iPad Pro. Page loads and scrolling are basically instantaneous, the thumbnails zip along when loading and navigating from the TOC is lightning fast.

Previously pages took several seconds to load and often the thumbnails took forever so I was navigating completely blind. It was never a dealbreaker for me but could be quite annoying, especially when wanting to just quickly check a rule or throw on a table.

EDIT: Should have mentioned I’m using the regular old Books app which comes with iOS.

Kudos to you and the team, Matt - such a better user experience! Thank you!

These are great, thank you. I have a 2021 Ipad pro, which loads pages of the tablet versions almost instantly using Goodreader.

Previously, I had resorted to cracking the PDFs to remove the background pattern so that pages would load quicker.

Question: is there any reason to download the non-tablet versions. Are they updated? If so. What’s changed?

Old School said:
Question: is there any reason to download the non-tablet versions. Are they updated? If so. What’s changed?

If we continue to see no problems with the tablet-versions, we will gradually make them the default ebook format for all of our books. We are giving this a few more days to see how people get on and then we will take a serious look at converting all of our current Traveller and Paranoia PDFs.

Actually, if someone could do me a favour...

If you have access to the PDF version of the Traveller Core Rulebook from our web site (as opposed to Drivethru), could you please try to download it now and see if you have the new tablet version? It should have 'Tablet' in the title and be circa 18 Mb in size...

MongooseMatt said:
Actually, if someone could do me a favour...

If you have access to the PDF version of the Traveller Core Rulebook from our web site (as opposed to Drivethru), could you please try to download it now and see if you have the new tablet version? It should have 'Tablet' in the title and be circa 18 Mb in size...

I just tried, and I got the 86 Mb 2020 version.

MongooseMatt said:
Very good to hear - we would be very interested in hearing from more of you, using different tablets. If there are no major issues, we will go back through our Traveller range and do this for all the current PDFs.

When I got an email from drive through RPG that something was updated. I was bit confused, and couldnt find what. Until I notice that question mark in my drive rpg that explained what happened.

I'm now sure what exactly you changed, but these new tablet-friendly PDF are massively better than the old ones. Previously, PDFs were basically unusable on an iPad Pro 2017 (multiple seconds until the next page was rendered) and still not great on an iPad Pro 2020 (one or two seconds until full rendering). The new ones, in contrast, work pretty smoothly, so I can now actually use/read all the Traveller PDFs I have.
So now my only hope is that every PDF in the Traveller line (as well as forthcoming 2300AD titles) will get the same treatment :)

All the 'core' rulebooks (High Guard, Companion, VHB and CSC) have all been done, as have the Deepnight Revelation books.

The rest will follow!

Back