Swords of Salor and other Magical Swords.

Sir Brad

Banded Mongoose
The Swords of Salor are highly prised Artefacts for the Sommlending people their secrets creation is veiled in the mists of time and lost to modern man, it is said they are created by the blessings of the God Salor, and in times of grate need the Sword of a truly Virtuous Knight will become a Sword of Salor capable of laying low the Dark Paragons of Narr. History records approximately Fifty such swords existing of them only Ten are known to be abroad in the modern world, the rest are lost or Interned in the Tombs of some of Sommerlunds most famous Heroes.

Held to be the Most powerful is the "Sword of Kings" also known as the Sword of Holmgard or the Sword of Ulnar and is in the possession of the King and has not bean drawn in anger in Centuries, there are two other Swords of Salor that come close or could possibly match the Sword of Kings. The First is the Sword of Toran also known as the Sword of Sun Eagle this is the sword carried by the Barron of Toran before he took up the Sommerswerd and founded the Kai Order it is today the sword of the Champion of Toran who is the Castalan of the Domain of Toran it is unknown if the sword is in his custody or if it is held in trust by the Guild-masters of the Brotherhood of the Crystal Star until it is needed. The other is the the Sword Triumphant also known as The Sword of Salor it is the Sword of the Grand Master of the Order of the Knights Triumphant.

Each Domain in the Realm of Sommerlund has it's own Sword of Salor in the possession of its Master or their Castalan including the Lands of Kai where the Sword of the Wolf (named for a prophecy) is held by the Grand Master of the Order of Kai.

The Swords of Salor are said to bring misfortune to any who lacks a Virtuous Hart who dares take them up or use them in an Unrighteous Cuse.

Game Rules: Swords of Salor are Magical/Blessed Broadsword with a CS Bonus ranging from +0 to +5.

Future History Notes: the Sword of the Wolf and the Sword of the Southlund Marches where lost in 5050, One of the first Quests undertaken by Lone Wolf upon his ascension to Mangakai was to seek out and recover the Sword of the Wolf and fulfil it's prophecy in the process, he would entrust it to the Protector of the Fryelund of Kai before he set out on his Quest for the Lore Stones of Nyxator. the Sword of the Southlund Marches remains lost and it is said high rewards will be bestowed to whoever recovers it.

Grammar and sentence structure, darling - I have a headache just after trying to read the first paragraph...

If I understand correct:
- 50 swords
- one held by Ulnar
- one held by everyone else in Sommerlund
- CS bonuses that vary

So what do you intend to use this for? As a quest item I foresee some problems, mainly because these things are not very unique, and you could soon have a party of ten where everyone has a Sword of Salor!

In all of history their are about 50 known, those still in Circulation are in the hands of the most powerful men in the kingdom, the rest are either buried with Famous Heroes or Lost.

Need a Magic Sword have a Ghost Knight appear to the Characters and say "Take up my Sword and Slay <insert Monster Name>" at the end of the story the Sword goes back in the Tomb or have one as a Quest Item. Personally I wouldn't let the Characters Keep a Sword better than +2 CS. the Big Three may be +5 CS, the ones in the hands of the Barons I'd place at +3CS at most but a PC isn't going to lay their hands on any of those let alone one of the Big Three. and I'd let no more than one or two in the players hands in the entire campaign, +0 CS is Special +2CS is Heroic +3 CS or higher is in the league of Legends and Kings.

Also, on a side note: we already have a "sun" sword, the Sommerswerd. Bring in more swords with a sun motive (Salor = Solar) might be a bit... uninspiring? What about something that is related to Ishir, or the Magicians' Guild of Toran, or more directly to Durenor itself?

The Durenor is going to be called the "Sword of the White Mountain", an other Broadsword, with a +1 Damage Multiplier, so unless you have other disciplines or other effects it dose X2 Damage, Fewer where made before the art was forgotten because Durenor don't bury them with their Honoured Dead and don't normally go around losing them in battle against the Forces of Narr, but a few have bean lost and their is a deep interest in recovering them.

As for Brotherhood Guild Staffs, well the 10 Guild Masters already have Wiz-Bang ones for each of them, perhaps some less powerful for the younger Wizards.

Still working on the Fluff1, but my last post covers the Crunchy bits, basically X2 Magical Damage (Stacks with Disciplines)

1. three people have quite at my work place and I'm now working 60+ hour weeks to help cover for the hole they have left in out Shift Schedule, this has bean going on for 6 weeks and others (including me) are ready to walk out.

Back