State of the Mongoose Discussion and Questions

Sad to read that Wraith Recon is now dead under D&D 4E, but on the other hand i´m also curious about it, how they will reinvent the setting under RQII.

What´s about the "overall" story of the Wraith Recon Setting under D&D 4E. Will there be a new storyline für RQII?

TrippyHippy said:
[

If I can address the argument directly, I think that games/settings like Conspiracy X, Delta Green and Dark Matter have all shown that gamers have an appetite for X-Files style investigations. No matter that you may be a bit bored by it, or that it seems unoriginal (er..like classic space opera isn't?!). The truth is that Traveller really needs an alternative contemporary modern setting to develop, if it's wanting to branch out into it's aim of covering all sci-fi settings.

I'd have rather had a 'straight' modern conspiracy setting, AKA James Bond or Jason Bourne, or maybe like the Da Vinci Code, but at least we will be able to generate modern spies using Traveller rules now. I welcome it.

Agreed, the aliens should be very marginal// in the storyline just as in Traveller with it being the ultimate enigma. However, I would want to see all sorts of Near Future tech a la Star Cops.

LGM are not essence of Traveller but the reaching for the Stars perhaps aided by alien tech is not entirely wrong either.

I see great potential in reviving aspects of Twilight 2000 and Milenium;s End in this enterprise.

//Which what I hope is implied when it says a different group of aliens will be the subject for a bug hunt. I had a frightening thought the other day - it could be Men in Black which was a fun movie but I really would like to see a serious technothriller.

kafka said:
- it could be Men in Black which was a fun movie but I really would like to see a serious technothriller.
Nah - it sounds nothing like that!
Now, if you'll look directly at the end of this device.

Rurik said:
medievaladventures said:
msprange said:
:( That's very disappointing. It was one of the best things about MRQ. It's also odd since Traveller is the other "main" system and it has one.
Yes. Very Disapointing. What kind of options will 3rd party publishers have for MRQ2 support (if any)?
If there is to be no SRD / OGL route for RuneQuest II, what will happen to those 3rd party products published under the old RQ SRD? Will these have to be withdrawn, or will they be grandfathered? Will it still be possible to produce new products under the SRD using the OGL and RuneQuest logo? I would imagine not, but I must ask.

Finally, there will be a brand new book called Gamesmastering. This book starts where the gamemastering advice of most roleplaying games stop and is geared towards helping gamemasters of all systems to reduce their preparation time, and generally improve their techniques for more lasting fun when running a game. Translated from German and laid out like a schoolbook (complete with exercises!), this book is well suited for both beginner and veteran gamemasters of all roleplaying games.

This sounds really interesting. I wonder if the schoolbook layout means the Exercise Book will be seperate? That is kinda... well really interesting. I would buy it even only because of curiosity.

I also hope Equinox will finally see sunlight.

Will RQ2 have open content with an SRD?

No.

Really disappointed. I and my writer are currently developing an interesting RPG title with MRQ as the rules framework. It looks like I'll have to rethink that.
Alternatives anyone? Not sure Traveller will work (and I would be worried now about it being yanked later).

...maybe Newt's OpenQuest...

If RQ1 is dead then OpenQuest would be better (as in its still being supported by other games).
If I was gonna a hitch my game to a dead system theres numerous options ;)

Great SOTMA. I was a bit hesitant about buying RQ II since I only recently got MRQ, but I've been a big fan of Loz's work over the years so I will definitely pick it up.

I'm also excited to see some new settings for RQII that haven't been done in earlier Chaosium versions like the EC settings, and Lankhmar. I liked the change to second age Glorantha you did with MRQ for the same reason. I'm all for new editions of old material from time to time but having some fresh settings and material is very nice. I'll definitely pick up both Deus Vult and Wraith Recon.

Like Dominik though, I'm curious as to whether Wraith Recon will have the same basic back story and setting or if it will be updated beyond just switching to RQII rules.

steffworthington said:
Really disappointed. I and my writer are currently developing an interesting RPG title with MRQ as the rules framework. It looks like I'll have to rethink that.
Alternatives anyone? Not sure Traveller will work (and I would be worried now about it being yanked later).

Not having SRD does not necessary mean canceling third party support. Savage Worlds for instance does not have any open content material but still enjoys a good support from many small publishers.

msprange said:
What we are really excited about is the release of the all new Lone Wolf Multiplayer Gamebook, appearing in the first quarter of 2010. The mechanics are rooted solidly in those of the solo gamebooks, making the game perfect for those new to roleplaying or who are looking for a much lighter rules set so they can concentrate on character or story.

The first volume contains all the core rules for playing Kai Lords, along with a few starter adventures. We are already planning volumes two, three and four which will add new characters, background and history of Magnamund, as well as a complete campaign against the Kai monks perpetual nemesis, the Dark Lords! All books in this series will appear in our mini-size pocket format, meaning you won’t break your back carrying even the entire set to your local club.

You can't see me crying with joy here, msprange, but I am...I am...

Somehow, I don't think I am the only one that has been waiting 20 years for this...

Back