Spells of Legend

I've kept creating new spells for Legend and have an updated version of this work if folks are still interested. If I post this, I may need to remove or rework a few things that were subsequently published elsewhere (even though everything in the earlier versions was technically released as OGC...)

Prime_Evil said:
I may need to remove or rework a few things that were subsequently published elsewhere (even though everything in the earlier versions was technically released as OGC...)
Once OGC, always OGC, so I don't see why you should remove anything.

Oh, and I'm interested, for one!

Oh I'm really interested too, since I just made a correction of the 2.0 version in french, I got time to translate a 3rd version ^^ (and include some spells in my setting in perpetual creation)

I've been working on some new spells for the upcoming release and thought I'd try to share one each day. Here's the first one - a straightforward bit of Common Magic:

Suppress Scent
Duration Special, Magnitude 1, Progressive
This spell removes all odours from a single living creature for a period of minutes equal to the Magnitude. During this period, it is impossible to track the target creature by scent. If the target of the spell makes a successful Stealth roll during this period, they can throw off pursuers tracking them by scent. A caster cannot use this spell on any creature whose SIZ exceeds their POW.

Prime_Evil said:
I've been working on some new spells for the upcoming release and thought I'd try to share one each day. Here's the first one - a straightforward bit of Common Magic:

Suppress Scent
This spell removes all odours from a single living creature for a period of minutes equal to the Magnitude. During this period, it is impossible to track the target creature by scent. If the target of the spell makes a successful Stealth roll during this period, they can throw off pursuers tracking them by scent. A caster cannot use this spell on any creature whose SIZ exceeds their POW.

Ooouh an interesting one !

And here's another Common Magic spell...

Eavesdrop
Duration 5, Magnitude 1
The caster can use this spell to eavesdrop on distant conversations. The spell filters out distractions and ambient noise. For the duration of the spell, the caster can hear a single conversation within a radius equal to his POW x 10 in meters. The caster must specify the identity of the individual upon whom they wish to eavesdrop. The caster can hear the conversation clearly, even if it involves furtive whispers. The spell penetrates solid barriers, allowing the caster to listen from adjacent rooms. This spell can only eavesdrop on conversations between sentient beings. It does not allow the caster to focus on other sounds within the area of effect. The Eavesdrop spell is very popular with spies and courtesans. The spell requires concentration. The caster cannot move or take other actions while listening to a conversation. If anything distracts the caster, they must make a Persistence roll to maintain concentration.

I expect this spell to be a little controversial. It reflects something appearing in folklore around the world, but might be a little crazy for common magic:

Slow Ageing

This rare spell curtails the ageing process, increasing the longevity of the caster. The caster does not age for a period of years equal to the Magnitude of the spell. During this time, the caster need not roll to resist the effects of age. The caster’s physiological age remains frozen at the point it was when the spell was cast. On a critical success, double the number of years the spell extends the caster’s lifespan. Repeated castings dramatically increase life expectancy. But there is a risk — on a fumbled casting, all delayed ageing affects the caster at once. Every time a caster uses this spell, increase the chance of a fumble by +1%. In most fantasy settings, the GM should limit access to this spell. Magic granting longevity often appears in folklore, but most sources depict it as rare.

Prime_Evil said:
I expect this spell to be a little controversial. It reflects something appearing in folklore around the world, but might be a little crazy for common magic:
Good stuff, though I do see anti-ageing magic as more of a sorcery thing myself.

Vile said:
Good stuff, though I do see anti-ageing magic as more of a sorcery thing myself.

I thought about this myself. The problem with making it a Sorcery spell is that the caster can use Manipulation to affect multiple targets or further extend the duration. Perhaps we need a Sorcery spell allowing the caster to steal the youth of sacrificial victims, giving it to a group of recipients? It's hinted you can do this with Tap (Characteristic), but the details aren't specific.

Prime_Evil said:
Vile said:

I thought about this myself. The problem with making it a Sorcery spell is that the caster can use Manipulation to affect multiple targets or further extend the duration. Perhaps we need a Sorcery spell allowing the caster to steal the youth of sacrificial victims, giving it to a group of recipients? It's hinted you can do this with Tap (Characteristic), but the details aren't specific.

I want to disagree with both of you and say this is quite clearly in the Blood or Elementalism area!

Bifford said:
Prime_Evil said:
Vile said:
I want to disagree with both of you and say this is quite clearly in the Blood or Elementalism area!
Let's agree to disagree and make versions for each! :lol:

Venom Breath
Instant, Magnitude 1, Progressive
This spell allows the caster to exhale a greenish-yellow cloud of poisonous gas. Creatures in a cone-shaped area in front of the caster must evade or suffer the effects of the venom. The blast of poison gas has a range in metres equal to the spell’s Magnitude. The venom has a POT equal to the spell’s Magnitude x 20. If a creature inhales it, they must make a Resilience roll to counter the effects. The venom causes the conditions of Nausea, Unconscious, and Asphyxiation. Each stage has an onset time of 1D4 rounds and a duration of 1D6 minutes. Victims must make a Resistance roll at the end of the Onset Time for each stage. Victims who suffer asphyxiation may die from respiratory failure. Unless created in an enclosed space, the gas disperses at the end of the round the adventurer exhales it. The caster is immune to the effects of their own venom, but it may affect their allies.

Prime_Evil said:
Vile said:
Perhaps we need a Sorcery spell allowing the caster to steal the youth of sacrificial victims, giving it to a group of recipients? It's hinted you can do this with Tap (Characteristic), but the details aren't specific.
I just went to the old core rulebook to dig up the relevant ruling.

There are reputed to be exotic and very rare versions of the Tap spell that consume other aspects of a victim, such as Tap (Youth), Tap (Emotion), Tap (Memory) and so forth. Without exception, these are regarded with even more loathing and hatred than the more common Tap spell!

It's kind of vague on the details, but what if Tap (Youth) either reset the sorcerer's age one year younger for every two years stolen from the victim, or stole X years of the victim's lifespan to be lived by the sorcerer instead of using up their own lifespan?

alex_greene said:
It's kind of vague on the details, but what if Tap (Youth) either reset the sorcerer's age one year younger for every two years stolen from the victim, or stole X years of the victim's lifespan to be lived by the sorcerer instead of using up their own lifespan?
Makes sense to me!

How about "Slow Ageing" having the following effect:- Providing the caster uses this spell daily as part of their morning routine, the spell ensures that every aging roll on Persistence and Resilience made by the caster is Very Easy, with no negative modifiers. If the caster lives right, eats more healthy food, and eats less (for instance, only eating one modest meal a day), this spell could double the interval between aging rolls.
Duration 24 hours, Magnitude 2.

Maybe there should be two options - a sorcery version that provides an unnatural extension to the caster's lifespan and a more modest Common Magic variant like this? The latter option does nicely reflect the folklore surrounding Taoist monks, Yoga masters, and Western mystics. If you live an aescetic life, you can extend your longevity by a century or two.

Yeah, no reason why every school of magic wouldn't have it's own variety of longevity spell. This is what emperors spend fortunes on, after all - what could be more important than more life?

Back