SPACE COMBAT - Sand Caster

I see what you mean, but all the attacker needs to do is aim their nose up 1 degree and at those speeds they would be firing "over" the cloud at the target.
Good point about the changed ion beam in a vacuum. I think (others will know more than me) that those kinds of weapons in traveller are supposed to shoot a stream of neutrons or protons or electrons or whatever other cosmic particles, and essentially are a weaponised version of what they use at CERN (which does fire its particles in a vacuum - and has to of course).
At CERN all the particles remain inside the accelerator where they can be controlled by the magnetic fields, if the charged particles were to leave the confines of those fields they would rapidly spread,
In the vacuum of space once the particles leave the PAWS they have to be neutralised - so you accelerate charged particles but then neutralise them as they pass the end of the gun.

I see what you mean, but all the attacker needs to do is aim their nose up 1 degree and at those speeds they would be firing "over" the cloud at the target.
Good point about the changed ion beam in a vacuum. I think (others will know more than me) that those kinds of weapons in traveller are supposed to shoot a stream of neutrons or protons or electrons or whatever other cosmic particles, and essentially are a weaponised version of what they use at CERN (which does fire its particles in a vacuum - and has to of course).
THOSE charged particles have the advantage of being guided for the entirety of their course by large superconducting magnets, the lack of which in space turn ZAPPP into foo.

yeah, but CERN is a bit bigger than a turret :D

Back