So in Glorantha, you are a What?

Rex

Mongoose
So, hands down we know out of all the Glorantha material, the Ducks are the coolest of the RQ races. Still, out of idle curiosity, in a fantasy game setting which Races do you like to play, or seen played?

Do you prefer single race games, or classic mix it up's?

Inquiring minds wish to know!

~Rex.....working on an article.

ealdstan said:
Uz! or maybe a human follower of Humakt.

Uz? Interesting. Still, they pale before the unfettered might of my Durulz ( :D ). I'm sensing a hell and Death orientated theme here.

~Rex :D

Centaurs, without a doubt, or vampires if that's the kind of game you're playing.

Centaurs because they are big and fast and handsome and mysterious. They are the best player in the trollball game, by far, as long as exotics are allowed.

Vampires, of course, are the coolest PC type imaginable, for obvious reasons, but don't fit all campaigns.

Ducks are good for a laugh or as balls in Duck Golf, but that's about it.

Nilmergs...

I first saw RQ2 in a shop when I was 11. The blurb on the back said "Play as a human, elf, dwarf, or even a unicorn!" Coming from a strictly Basic D&D mindset and thinking purely of character class, I remember me and two friends gathered round the box as it was opened, with all the associated oohs and aahs, desperately fixated upon rolling up unicorns...

They weren't gem dice either, as the picture on the back promised...

I go with Humans all the way, and if you come to me with, "but I want to play something different!" you get a slap and a lecture on diversity...

Mostali.

At least, the way I've played them and seen them played: a cross between Fred Dibnah and Robbie the Robot.

Fred who?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Dibnah

In fact, look at the picture of Fred in that picture: that's precisely what an Iron Dwarf looks-like.

I like the Uz because I tend to see myself in the big and brutish category and I prefer dismal to bright (that may be because I was born in the Pacific Northwest). I gave Humakti as an alternate because they are very honorable and that's what I strive for in my own life.

I sometimes refer to myself as the chivalrous ogre.[/quote]

The very first time I played RuneQuest (RuneQuest 1) I played a scorpionman, we were hiding from being roped into second year sportsday at my public school (private school for you Americans), it was great. Way better than 'Metamorphosis Alpha' which was the game 'de jour' at school (Brian Aldiss' son was a year lower, but in my tutor group, so we all got signed copies of 'Non-Stop').

We played 'Lair of the White Wyrm' in 'White Dwarf' 14, We kicked Quincy the Duck Barbarian, Master of "Quack-fu"'s ass. I wanted to let go the obscene scorpionman, but was overruled.

I have always had a soft spot for scorpionmen, I ran a Bagogi Rune lord for years, 'Cults of Terror' was my favourite book at the time.

Wow. Quite a lot of Diversity really. I expected the Uz. Hard to compete with that background really. The Centaur choice was interesting, and well how do you go wrong with Mostali if you are looking for something different....

Was cool to see a Human stand up though. I have to admit, when I'm not in my power packed, Durulz mind, that I lean Human.

~Rex

Humans every time. Being brought up on Prax, the Whole Prax and Nothing But The Prax we were all bigoted human barbarians and mostly still are. Humakt appealed to the power gamer in me but I also liked the cut of Waha's jib.

Simon - Centaurs are not mysterious and handsome. They are dumb and brutish. I refer you to Biglaugh Bigclub who set the idea firmly in my mind from the moment I first read Apple Lane.

I'm surprised at the exotic nature of some of the choices. A scorpionman? Was buying training from the guild a little awkward?

Still, at least no-one has 'fessed up to playing elves.

Inspector Zero said:
Humans every time. Being brought up on Prax, the Whole Prax and Nothing But The Prax we were all bigoted human barbarians and mostly still are. Humakt appealed to the power gamer in me but I also liked the cut of Waha's jib.

Simon - Centaurs are not mysterious and handsome. They are dumb and brutish. I refer you to Biglaugh Bigclub who set the idea firmly in my mind from the moment I first read Apple Lane.

I'm surprised at the exotic nature of some of the choices. A scorpionman? Was buying training from the guild a little awkward?

Still, at least no-one has 'fessed up to playing elves.

GOOD point. Would any solid RQ player, dare to play an elf?

~Rex

Uz all the way. Unless the game doesnt allow it, it which case i go Human stormbull.

In one game my Uz carried skewers for duck-kabob, and my friend with a human Sb carried 5 gallons of salad dressing incase we ran into any elves.

My first Chaosium RQ character was an Elf who eventually clawed his way up to being a hairsbreadth short of becoming a RL of Orlanth. Just couldn't get that last skill from 85% to 90%. Cross species membership of Cults seemed more acceptable in the early days.

Since then its been exclusively humans in campaigns, but the occasional one-off game playing a duck or baboon for fun! :D

Hi,

I have had players be Ogres, who lost their chaotic way and became a Basmoli! We had two elves, who eventually became Runelords of Aldryami. My first PC was a dwarf, who hung out with a guy who wore gorilla skin armour and an initiate of Yelmalio from Balazar, we got our asses kicked at the Hellpits of Nightfang. However I adore baboons, Storm Sheerclaw was a Runelord of Daka Fal, a real brute of a guy. I think my strangest PC was a Dioskos demon, or Black Horse from Ethilrists Troop, he had a pet human and was a potent sorcerer who roamed around with an Iron Grimoire that he turned the pages with his hoof!

Simon

'Hellpits of Nightfang' - I remember that one!

It was a really well done RQ "dungeon'... I still remember the horror of my character watching the mist creep into the suit of armour!

I notice all the elf people tend to revert back to Human. The Ogre thing though, that's got some very strong campaign potential I think. Some very good set ups and such so far, but I think, I'm sensing a bit of Duck hate out there.

Or, is it jealousy perhaps? :D

~Rex

Well, I don't hate ducks. I just really like trolls. I mean hey they're huge and they can eat anything! What's not to love about that?

ealdstan said:
Well, I don't hate ducks. I just really like trolls. I mean hey they're huge and they can eat anything! What's not to love about that?

Hmmmm Trolls vs Ogres ......I sense, a possible Pirate game there.

~Rex

I'm a Hsunchen man myself; particularly the Rathoreli and the Hsa.

When Lairs of Glorantha eventually comes out, my Hsunchen love is reflected a bit in one of the stories. :)

-Bry

Back