So, in Conan, what are you?

A 7th Kitain Scholar with a penchent for burning things and playing prestigitation tricks.

A 7th level Cimmerian Barbarian who likes to hit things, a man of few words but many looks most of which end in the reciever cowering in a corner.

A 7th level temptress with a fondness of seducing merchants and her use of a whip.

A 7th level Harkanian Nomad, master archer but not very good..fumbles a lot and terrible with women.

A 7th level Zinagarian soldier/duelist who has a running battle with the Barbarian about who can kill the largest/most enemy.

The barabarian also has a dog which the scholar keeps threatning to cook.

Most sessions are very entertaining as most of the time the party procrastinate with each other. Have run start of Trial of Blood and start of Betrayer with them and have now merged the 2 together in my own way campaign using various side adventures and The Ark to form my own take on the 2 books. Every session I have to be ahead of the party though as they will ALWAYS find a way to do something completeley unexpected. To be honest these are the more memorable episodes. The last session they spent a whole evening in a way station kitting themselves out before hitting the Turanian desert. I threw in a slave boy tending mounts and his master and the whole evening was spent plotting to kill him and free the slaves, worked brilliantly and all was with me winging it.

Interesting, Ferriwulf have no multiclass in is game.

5 of 9 charater in David game have at leas one barb level.
3 of 9 have at least one soldier level and 2 of nine have thief

ah bossnian borderer one of my personnal favourite

we have Borderer 12/Nomad 2
Soldier 13/Borderer 1
Soldier 13/Noble 1
Barbarian 10/Pirate 2/Borderer 2
Nomad 10/Noble 2/Temptress 2
Pirate 7/Thief 7

i think

I think it is fine. Nobody never complained in our games that his character was weak. What is the definition of weak anyway?

The 2 soldier and the Barbarian are clearly superior in close combat, Me (the borderer) and the Nomad are more archer. The pirate/thief, well he his the biggest potential striker of course :)

So that combat wise. Non-combat wise I've the highest Spot, listen and survival (no one is close, get even worse in favored terrain). I've the highest stealth stat too (Pirate thief is close too, but not in favored terrain). I've the highest initiative too. And I'm also the fastest moving character (Fleet footed + bonus in Forest and hills.). Also, with the swift tracker ability it is virtually impossible for a fugitive to get away from me. Think it is worthless? Well, one fleeing pict can alert an entire tribes, breaking your cover. This never happen when I'm there.

In the end, I'm pretty happy whith my character. He do what I want him to do. I tend to die fast in melee combat against powerful foes (compare to the 3 big hitter), but that is fair. That is part of the game. I'm not the one who will complain when the Barb or Soldier do a 30 damages power attack and fel down the big monster. I'm happy he does. He is on my side. He his happy when I snipe the Sorcerer before he cast.

But in the end, with point blank + rapid shot + bonus from bosnian sniper style + sniper's eye, I tend to ditch as much damage as the big hitter. You could also build a borderer with a greatsword who ditch as much damage as a barbarian. And get greater mobility at level 11th :)

In my current campaign, which is mostly happening in Nordheimer and Border Kingdoms we have:

- Nordheimer male barbarian-4 Leader of the party, at least if you ask from him. Hot-headed and recless (WIS 6) young berzerker who dreams to become one of their clans huscarls and war-leader.

- Cimmerian female barbarian-4 Daughter of a cimmerian blacksmith living amongst the nordheimer. Focusing in wrestling and unarmed combat (improved unarmed&grapple). She has gained some renown (and acceptance amongst the party as their first female warrior) by beating couple of highly dangerous opponents, including fully-armoured berzerker warrior-priest 3 level above her and another priests pet man-ape, dead with her armoured gauntlets.
(She both of them with single critical strike & massive damage)

- Nordheimer male barbarian-1 / scholar-3 Lay-priest of ymir and wanna-be skald of the team (still on a way to improve his Perform - sign to 8 ranks as suggested if Hyborias Fiercest). Has Divination as a sorcery style

- Nordheimer male barbarian-1 / thief-2 Tradesman and con-artist

Forgein mercaniers who were hired from Border Kingdoms after one of the original characters left the party
- Aquilonian male thief-4 wandering entertrainer, juggler and all-around scroundel.

- Shemite female Soldier-2/Scholar-2 Pelishem shemite warrior-priestess, has counterspells and hypnotism as her sorcery styles.

Earlier character: (left the party after player of the character moved to another city)

- Nordheimer male barbarian-1/borderer-2. This character was young scout/messanger, lightly armoured with fleet footed -feat and Asgard as his favoured terrain.

The borderer is not as much of a damage-dealing machine as other classes (say, barbarian, soldier, or some sneak attack combo multiclass).

However, the majority of the incredible spot/survival checks have been made by the multiclass borderer PC in my game. In a city he feels out of place, but in the wild he's a monster. He can let loose with arrows, then charge at you with both swords, then hide back in the woods and pick those poor fools off one at a time.

I feel he's balanced... But, then again, like with any character, it's how you build him up that's important.

I love borderers, but, when a borderer is out of his favoured terrain he looses a lot of his abilities. So, in my opinion, a borderer must really shine when he is on his terrain. To give him that extra shine I've designed some feats.

About Greater Mobility on the 11th level, I don't that should be possible. Since every other class that have mobility, gets the Greater one just by the 15th level. Improved mobility already gives you teh ability to move, hit and run, but not a full attack.

They get it by 15th but could get them by 10th. (Multiclass Barb/Pirate, Barb/Nomad or Nomad/Pirate) or 11th (Barb nomad or pirate multiclass with 1 level of whatever.)

Also the concept of virtual feat is to give powerful feat without prerequise, (remember they only work in ligth armour). So I think getting greater mobility at 11 is fine for this style.

Borderer IS the master of his terrain. I don't think he need extra feat for that. The stealth/detection bonus, and movement bonus mean he can virtually kill anything via guerrilla style fight. I think that is good enough no?

I always suspect arguments that "this class is so screwed if you dont use this ability this way". If a full class is really only good due to one ability, and a radical interpretation of that ability, then it is likely a pporly designed class, and an overpowered ability.

Perhapas borderer is not so good in a city. I dont think Temptress looks to good in the wilderness.

But as always, it is more about how you use them than anything else.

If you multiclass you still get the Greater mobility just at the 15th, since you get one tier of mobility every 5 levels.

Borderer IS the master of his terrain. I don't think he need extra feat for that. The stealth/detection bonus, and movement bonus mean he can virtually kill anything via guerrilla style fight. I think that is good enough no?

Well a borderer have a +1 to base deffense every 2 levels. When a borderer is on his terrain he gets his deffense bonus on the same tier of the barbarian, soldier and pirate. But we must remember that the borderer isn't always on his terrain.

For example in my campaing the borderer had to play many adventures away from his main terrain, because the campaing took a turn and the characters moved to Shem. But I think that in every Conan game the PCs are always traveling, and the borderer will stay in his main terrain 1/3 of teh adventures, at most.

And that's why I think he really should shine when he is on his main terrain.

You can take dodge and mobility feat before reaching 10 th level, giving you greater mob at level 10th.

Exemple, barb/pirate: take dodge at 3, mobility at 6 while you are level 3/3. at level 9 (either 5 pirate or 5 barb you'll get improve mob
then at level 10 you'll get greater mob.

Mobility isn't a feat in Conan. The only way to get molity is trough a class ability. You get Mobility at the 5th level, Improved Mobility at the 10th level and Greater Mobility at the 15th level, either as a nomad, pirate or barbarian.

Dodge isn't involved at all.

Conan RPG 2nd edition, p132.

MOBILITY

You are better ablie to defend yourself when on the move.

Prerequisites: Dex 13, Dodge.

Benefit: You know them.

Ohhh, I don't have the second edition...

Anyway I think that's overpower, to be able to use a 15th level abilitie at the 10th level. I'm not adopting mobility as feat on my campaing...

I still have to say, I tend to lean towards single class. Still like my Gunderman Soldier. Have Pike will travel.

~Rex

Back