Sell me on this game.

bubbalin

Mongoose
I've been looking at it for a while now.
I guess I need a reason to start buying another rpg line even though I'm probably never going to play it. :)
What's good. How do vehicle rules compare to say the Star Wars RPG? Obviously they're vastly expanded because of the game focus, but how so?
Be honest, what's not so good? What can do with improvement?
Mmm, big ass robots with guns...

Hi, bubbalin!

I just want to tell you that A: 2089 is one of the most realistic RPG on the market! I love this game not only because I`m a fanatic :p, crazy :p battletech player....it is the realistic touch of this RPG. This realism can be noticed in the supplements like Earth 2089 (Mongoose tries to create a realistic world: Bush doctrine, middle east problems and rivalry between the old and the new continent are current problems and Mongoose took those facts and weaved a giant epos, which ended in the armageddon war....in my opinion in a logical way) and ended with very realistic warmeks, which can not compared with awful manga style mechs.

If you don`t know whether you will play this game or not....I just can say: It`s a pleasure to read those supplements and watch those warmeks. :p

So have a nice day or night...and nice greetings from Austria to Australia! :p

I do have to agree with the conjecture on the future, it is very well done. However some of the designs in there look kinda goofy (but then the Battletech Urbanmech looks like a walking trash can so not every source is perfect). Oh well, it is still a good system, worth the time and money to put into it I think.

it has to be the best warmek game i have seen to date. i got it without reading any reveiws and my risk paid off. so what are you waiting for! run to your local games store now and demand a copy of each of the books. tell them i sent you if they give you a funny look. you will not be disapointed.
you can trust me on this coz i'm an epic level rogue!

Hey Bubbalin.. I'm also from Perth, email me sometime if you're interested in a game over summer... I'm hoping to run Khazakhistan in a couple of weeks..

cheers

Jason K.

ok..that didn't work.. email is pomo1975@hotmail.com

;)

let me know if you're interested

Jason

bubbalin said:
I've been looking at it for a while now.
I guess I need a reason to start buying another rpg line even though I'm probably never going to play it. :)

If you buy it you will want to play it.

bubbalin said:
What's good. How do vehicle rules compare to say the Star Wars RPG? Obviously they're vastly expanded because of the game focus, but how so?

I'm unfamiliar with the SW RPG but have all present release A:2089 books.

The Mech and Vehicle rules are fairly consistant making play and design simple. The rules allow most actions and (I suspect, have not confirmed) compatible with the Chase rules published in ther "Ultimate Games Design" book. Design rules in Armored Companies allow both military and civilian construction, you can also make military vehicles that are "soft armored" resistant to small arms but die horibly to mech and tank weapons.

bubbalin said:
Be honest, what's not so good? What can do with improvement?
Mmm, big ass robots with guns...

Biggest complaint is when they mention xxx equipment in the design rules but no stats or description.

I had the honor of playtesting the main rules and one comment by Ian (the designer) the quality, feel and effort put into the game.
I proposed a single shot rocket that would allow light Mechs to damage heavily armored enemies, sort of a mech size RPG, since large heavily armored mechs would be almost invulnerable to the weapons a small Mech could mount. Although we agreed that smaller mechs should not mount more than one and larger mechs mounting multiple launchers could be unbalanced we could not agree on how to limit them. The Ian's comment was "I'd sooner come up with an in-game reason to avoid abuse, rather than say 'We're doing this for game balance reasons. . .'" The result was a single shot rocket launcher based on an existing multi launcher which could be mounted on small mechs, do significant damage used right, became less attractive if two or more were mounted on the same arm.
His effort to make things balanced by design rather than rules shows in the final result.

Back