Rune Integration for New Characters

MattyHelms

Mongoose
Do characters lose POW during character creation for integrating runes gained from their selected profession? The rune integration rules read like the POW loss only occurs for new runes, but I just wanted to be sure.

Thanks,
Matt

Well, the example of character creation says you do lose the POW, but the rules text makes no mention.

So I assume the answer is yes - though the combat example has errors.

I would think not. FOr one thing Runcasters seem to get fewer skill points so they probably derseve something.

Secondly, since begining character do get a POW gain during character generation, I think this hurts them.

Also the advanced characters (p.103-104) get even more runes (although they do get extra charactettic points.)

Lastly, if we make beginning characters pay POW for starting runes, then the spellcasters will tend to have the lowest starting POW of all the characters.

I will add this to my outstanding questions list.

Typically, a character will start with only 1-2 runes if a spellcaster type, sow they would only suffer 1-2 POW loss. They probably had a pretty high Pow when they chose to be a magic type, and they get whatever bonus the rune gives.

Just a counterpoint. When I rolled my first character I didn't deduct it, but when later read the example it didn't bother me that bad.

I agree that the rules imply that power should be lost, but I feel that it should not be. Runecasters do get fewer skills than others, so should not be further penalized for their choice. The game makes power gain more difficult than earlier versions, so power loss is a major penalty. The starting spell caster should have more, rather than less, power than others, reflecting his previous concentration on magic.

Gaheir said:
I agree that the rules imply that power should be lost, but I feel that it should not be.

Obviously this can vary setting by setting as well, depending on how magic is felt to work and how much "power" is available in that game universe - whether it is a "high magic" or "low magic" setting. We've already been told there'll be additional rules for runes in the Glorantha setting (for example the adverse effects of Chaos runes for characters) so it might be worth seeing if Glorantha handles the power loss differently in some way (or compensates with extra power gain somehow)

My first test character integrated the Earth rune, so he got +1 to STR, CON, and SIZ, which bumped him in Damage Bonus and HP per location. And he gets a spell. All for 1 POW. I'll take that penalty every day and twice on Sunday.

Without doubt the trade of a Pow for +1 St, Con and Siz is a worthwhile one. And, as the game goes on, few would pass on it. But, as a previous experience choice, I feel that the PC selecting runecasting would have, in lieu of the skills he is not getting, have recovered that power. The rules would have the spellcasters starting with a power penalty, which seems counter intuitive to me.

Rurik said:
My first test character integrated the Earth rune, so he got +1 to STR, CON, and SIZ, which bumped him in Damage Bonus and HP per location. And he gets a spell. All for 1 POW. I'll take that penalty every day and twice on Sunday.
I can think of a couple of situations whre I couldn't. Like if you have acess to a second type of magic and need a 16 POW to use it.

I found the answer, and yes you DO loose the POW. It is is the example of character creation on p. 15-16. On page 16, second Paragraph Ted sacrificices a point of POW and drops from 17 to 16.

atgxtg said:
I found the answer, and yes you DO loose the POW. It is is the example of character creation on p. 15-16. On page 16, second Paragraph Ted sacrificices a point of POW and drops from 17 to 16.

That is assuming you trust the examples. :twisted:

(i'd actually pointed out the example in the second post)

Rurik said:
That is assuming you trust the examples. :twisted:

(i'd actually pointed out the example in the second post)

Sorry I figured you mean't something else when you referend the combat example. Take a bow.

THe character creation example has collaboration though, as the sample character used is the same one printed in the back of the book-with 16 POW.

Back