Rules Question: Ship Combat Weapons with 'Auto' Trait

Ursus Maior

Banded Mongoose
Greeting, fellow Travellers! In High Guard and JTAS 1 starship weaponry with the 'Auto' trait was introduced. I could not, however, find rules what this trait is supposed to do in ship combat. I would like to know, if there is an official ruling I missed out or alternatively, how this could work. Here is the problem and my thoughts on it.

The 'Auto' trait of course is well known in personal combat, allowing for three different attack modes: single fire (basically forgetting about said trait), burst fire (add value 'auto' trait to damage; uses up more ammunition), and full auto fire (attacking 'auto' trait number of persons, as long as they are within six metres of one another at severely increased ammunition rates).

Now, those rules could be loosely adapted for ship combat, but both of the two latter modes would need rule adjustments for that to work. There are no ammunition expanses for the relevant weapons, but certainly 'Power' costs could be increased. Also, shooting full auto in space might warrant a greater area of effect than six metres. Maybe something along the line of: "These attacks can be made against separate targets so long as they are all within the 'Adjacent' range band of each other."

I am looking forward to your thoughts.

Space scale weapons with the Auto trait are in HG, see Pulse-plasma cannon.

As far as I can remember from beta, Auto uses the personal combat definition, just like Radiation and AP.

Thanks, I know these weapons appear in HG, that's where I quote from (among other things, such as JTAS 1).

But as I explained, the "personal combat definition" is inadequate for spaceship scale: Ammo usage is no issue and spreading a full burst over six metres maximum is probably more precise than any regular weapon, considering the scale of time and distances.

Hence my question for a proper resolution.

Ursus Maior said:
But as I explained, the "personal combat definition" is inadequate for spaceship scale: Ammo usage is no issue and spreading a full burst over six metres maximum is probably more precise than any regular weapon, considering the scale of time and distances.

And yet, it's RAW. Mongoose seems to be more about "do-as-you-wish" than perfectly defined rules-systems.

I allow Full Auto to attack any fighter in the same squadron, but that is obviously my house-rule.

Okay, thanks for your input and the houserule insight. I think, something similar will appear on my (virtual) table as well. Especially considering Burst Lasers and their possible use in anti-missile point defence.

As a dedicated user of burst lasers (they are my favorite for many reasons), I have always interpreted the Auto rule to be "fires x number of times" while in space combat.

Basically, I was ingrained by the Classic Traveller "Double Fire" software program, which allowed for de facto "Auto 2". The Ship Combat turns are much longer than a Personal Combat turn (6 seconds vs 6 minutes).

I also don't allow ship's weaponry to fire more than once every six minutes or 60 turns in personal combat.

Back