Questions for Mongoose

Sorry to post this here, i'm just really trying to wrap my head around dogfighting so I thought i'd go to the source. If this isn't the best place to ask this please disregard. In the Core Rulebook Update 2022, it says dogfighting starships use the vehicle combat rules on page 138 instead of starship combat rules on page 164 - but..what's the difference in combat modes, if any?

Does dogfighting only allow each side to take one significant action and one minor action as opposed to the 6 min round Maneuver, Attack, and Action steps? You can take a significant and minor action in any vehicle/starship non-dogfighting situations, so i'm trying to figure out the difference.

Hey there,

In a nutshell... When in a dogfight, ships act as vehicles, not spacecraft. So, for example, the big difference is you chop down from 6 minute combat rounds (reflecting the methodical style of combat in space) to the 6 second combat round of vehicles and characters.

It is the difference between a battle between bug battleships or submarines, and the intense close-in fights you get in, say, Battlestar Galactica and Star Wars.

Hope that helps!

It does!

Does that also mean it switches from each Traveller having Maneuver/Attack/Action (6 mins) to just Significant/Minor actions (6 sec)? If so, just trying to wrap my head around what's mechanically different between modes, since each Traveller gets an Action/Reaction/Minor action per turn anyways.

I hope that makes sense. Thanks, Matt!

Hi Team,

I'm just in the process of updating the fan-made Mongoose Traveller character sheet on Roll20, aesthetic changes, some bug fixes etc. as I'm trying to generate interest on there for Traveller, and am running my own games and the old character sheet was very clunky.

Roll20 character sheets allow a certain amount of JavaScript programming to create quite complex dice rolls etc., so I prototyped a sheet tab that would do the rolls for generating passenger numbers with the various modifiers for population, zone etc. which the players can drive, and also would like to add the available trade goods as well...

This is because the rules kind of specify, 'give your players this Trade chapter and let them loose', and I'd like to re-create that in Roll20 so players can effectively run their own trading game in-VTT.

So the question is: Would implementing passengers and trade goods be allowable? It is obviously part of the rules (but is kind of 'standalone' e.g. its not character creation intellectual property).

I believe there is an OGL in the works, and obviously it's GenCon so don't expect an answer soon!

Thank you,

Coryphon

Is there a way to send someone a Gift PDF?

I'd like to send out a copy of the Traveller Explorer Edition to people. Gamers who have never played Traveller before. Or Students. Or even people who used to Play Traveller, but haven't seen the new edition.

I bet I can send 100 of them out in a Year.

How can I do this?

Back