Questions for Mongoose

Howdy, Mongoose! I may initiate a Deus Vult campaign for a group of nine veteran TTRPGers, and I have a question about what books everyone would need. I'm assuming each player will need the Legend core book paired with the DV training guide. However, would the GM (i.e., me) need any Legends other than the core? I couldn't tell if Legend Arms or Monsters might also come into play.

Howdy, Mongoose! I may initiate a Deus Vult campaign for a group of nine veteran TTRPGers, and I have a question about what books everyone would need. I'm assuming each player will need the Legend core book paired with the DV training guide. However, would the GM (i.e., me) need any Legends other than the core? I couldn't tell if Legend Arms or Monsters might also come into play.
They are certainly all compatible but, as a base line, a G will only need Legend and the DV GM's Guide.

Hope that helps!

So, a thread opened in the Traveller forum has highlighted that the in-system travel time formulae are missing from the core rulebook. Any chance of bringing them into a future Traveller sourcebook, like the next iteration of High Guard or even the next update to the Core Rulebook?
Attached - page 10 of a facsimile print of the LBB Book 2.
1693655586604.png

I would love a bespoke slide rule. Just sayin'.
So, a thread opened in the Traveller forum has highlighted that the in-system travel time formulae are missing from the core rulebook. Any chance of bringing them into a future Traveller sourcebook, like the next iteration of High Guard or even the next update to the Core Rulebook?
Attached - page 10 of a facsimile print of the LBB Book 2.
View attachment 1298
Um, the 2023 update has a blue box on page 163 with the formulas... I mean, 'square root' is spelled out, but I'm the guy who went nuts with the Word formula editor with that world builder thing...

Those formulae are also on page 152 of the 2016 Traveller Core Rulebook. However, the units for the formulae seem to be slightly off and there is a further clarification of the units on p150 of the 2018 Traveller Companion along with some "Interplanetary distances" that may need correction.

Those formulae are useful but I'd like to have formulae for instances where the ship in question doesn't turn round in mid-flight and begins to decelerate. Useful for situations where the Travellers say "we're going to head in that direction with this acceleration, let us know how far we've got after a certain amount of time. I am no astrophysicist.

Those formulae are also on page 152 of the 2016 Traveller Core Rulebook. However, the units for the formulae seem to be slightly off and there is a further clarification of the units on p150 of the 2018 Traveller Companion along with some "Interplanetary distances" that may need correction.

Those formulae are useful but I'd like to have formulae for instances where the ship in question doesn't turn round in mid-flight and begins to decelerate. Useful for situations where the Travellers say "we're going to head in that direction with this acceleration, let us know how far we've got after a certain amount of time. I am no astrophysicist.
Those formulas are really all you need, but with some modification and one addition: Velocity = Acceleration * Time. If you accelerate at A g's (a being a factor of 10 m/s^2) for a period of T seconds, then you have your velocity. You've also traveled D = A *T^2 to get to that point and you'll continue travel at the velocity (ignoring gravitational effects of nearby planets, stars, black holes and space monsters) until you flip and decelerate - if the start and finish are moving at the same velocity (which they almost certainly are not, but lets ignore a few kilometers per second and vectors for a moment) then you need the same amount for time and distance from your destination to do the reverse deceleration.

So it's three phases and three distances and time intervals (hopefully the beginning and end are just reverse of each other) - add together time and distance and well sorry I don't have time for an examples, but that's the gist of it.
Gotta go... wife is waiting...

Here’s a Deus Vult history question! I’ve seen 2 different covers for the OOP Ex Cathedra supplement, but I can’t discern if there is any substantive difference between them. Was there 1 EC edition with 2 covers, or 2 editions with different covers and contents?

I recall somewhere that Pirates of Drinax was potentially going to get a new edition sometime? My own copy is well used and I was looking to potentially replace it in the future. Is it worth holding on for a bit?

Also, on the same question, is there a place for some feedback still about possibly reformatting it and/or what adjustments are possibly going to come. I’d be in favour of reformatting it to a straight box set, with more maps/handouts, etc, for example and possibly releasing the Trojan Reach as a standalone (but obviously complimentary) supplement. The Aslan sections are already covered in the Aliens book now also I’d note.

Last edited:
First, kudos on using Drinax so much :) There are currently no plans for a new edition of Drinax.

All feedback on all books can go into the Feedback forum - we read every comment there!

Can I just check that the formula for stellar co-ordinates and travel time used in 2300AD is based on Pythagoras’ formula or is it something else? That is:

Distance = √(x1-x2)⌃+( y1-y2)⌃+( z1-z2)⌃)

The up-pointing arrow is meant to be a squared sign, btw.

Back