Question about incoming fire and shield facings

billclo

Mongoose
I have a question about incoming fire and shield facings. Specifically, how is incoming fire handled against a Klingon ship, when the fire comes right down the boundary between Fore and side shield?

I read in the rules that a ship firing straight down the line between 2 fire arcs can fire weapons that bear in BOTH arcs, but the rule don't address the opposite situation.

So say I have a Klingon F5 for example that has lined up an enemy ship on it's RX arc (border between Fore and Port) so as to get front arc and Rear arc phasers in. The rules are pretty clear that both Fore arc weapons and Port arc weapons would bear.

But when that F5 takes return fire, does it hit Fore (doubled shield rule applies), or the side shield? Or Defender's choice (Fore arc obviously)?

I would treat it like weapon arcs and allow the reinforced shield to take the hit. Just personal opinion, but it seems sound IMO. Be nice to hear an official word though.

Also, thank you for making me realize that the Klingon reinforced shield covers only the Fore arc (F), and not the entire Fore Half arc (FH). That would've been a silly mistake to make (and also obliterates my slight concern the shields were a little too good). :oops:

In that case I'd have played that it had to take return fire on the port arc, since the rear phasers can't reach any further forward than that (even with the "fudge" to let you fire down the boundary).

Except if I'm playing the Klingons, that is :p

I could see a couple possible resolutions besides allowing the Klingon to choose (ie, he'll probably pick Fore arc for half damage).

1) Roll a die. 1-3 Fore arc, 4-6 Port arc takes the hit.
2) Assume the target ship moves foward a little, and re-check the line of fire - it'll make the Port arc take the hit. If I recall, SFB generally used this method, sorta (I think the rule was to check the move chart and see who moved next and recheck the line of fire. If neither moved or both did, re-check with only the target moving forward 1 hex).

You could maybe go with an opposed CQ check when the target ship returns fire (if they have different CQs that is, otherwise just dice for it as you suggested).

Why not make it extremely simple. All ties go to the defender. If a split shield boundery qsuestion comes allow the defender to choose. Its the way split bound are already handled in other SFU games.

I'm with Dal on this one.
All other SFU games allow the defender choice of shield arcs in split-shield issues. Why change now?

Defender picks arc sounds okay to me, but I just wanted to see if there was an "official" answer.

Is your answer the official one, Tony?

I have an idea for a tactical note as well, and your answer determines how the article gets written. :D

Back