Players needed for Shifting Sands

coldwar

Mongoose
We are currently looking for a few players to fill spots in an ongoing campaign set in my own universe. Players can possible choose an existing character, or make there own.

Direct Link to the Campaign.
http://forum.mongoosepublishing.com/viewforum.php?f=124

The definite existing playable character is called Isaac "Ike" Balboa.
888BC4
Darwin V C462558-7
Johannesburg Collective Citizen
Free Trader 3 Terms
Trade 0, Medic 0, Engineer 0, Drive-0, Vacc Suit 0,Steward 0, Comms 0, Astrogation 1, Investigate 1, Computers 1, Broker 2, Persuade 2

More info can be found in characters section of the campaign. (Campaign is being played on these forums.)

Characters types that would suit really well would be:

Pilot
Engineer (At least on of; J-Drive, Power and/or M-Drive)
Pirate
Citizen

Still looking for a player? I'd be willing to fill any of the first three roles, and while I have next to no experience with Traveller itself, have plenty with other tabletop systems and forum RPGs

Yippee, someone found my post, yippeee.

Anyway, two of those roles sort of got filled, though another pirate wouldn't go amiss. No need for another pilot at the moment. It seems our new plot player is settling in well and enjoying the game.

Heres a general overview of the current character skills

Van- Ex-Marine
Seafarer 0, Comms 0, Athletics 0, Battledress 0, Heavy Weapons 0, Medic 1, Military Tactics 1, Recon 1, Leadership 1, Engineer (electronics) 1, Shotguns 1, Stealth 2, Explosives 2, Slug Pistols 2, Slug Rifles 2, Unarmed Combat 4.

Davit- Ex-Navy
Admin/0, Engineer/0, Computer/0, Drive/0, Pilot/0, Vacc Suit/1, Zero–G/0, Comms/1, Persuade/1, Discipline/2, Gun Combat (Slug Pistols)/2, Mechanic/2.

Deeks- Smuggler/Pirate, Ex-Colonist
Broker 1, Communications 1, Computers 0, Drive (Wheeled) 0, Engineering (M-Drive) 0, Flyer (Gravitics) 0, Gunner (Turrets) 1,Mechanical 1, Melee (Unarmed Combat) 1, Pilot (Spacecraft) 2, Seafarer (Submarines) 0, Sensors 1, Stealth 1, Steward 1, Streetwise 0, Trade (Civil Engineering) 0, Trade (Hydroponics) 0, Vacc Suit 1

And NPC's

Ike- Free Trader
Trade 0, Medic 0, Engineer 0, Drive-0, Vacc Suit 0, Steward 0, Comms 0, Astrogation 1, Investigate 1, Computers 1, Broker 2, Persuade 2

David- Ex-Navy
Survival/0, Animals/0, Medic/0, Comms/0, Computer/0, Vacc Suit/0, Zero-G/0, Gun Combat/0, Pilot (Small craft)/1, Melee (Blade)/1, Leadership/1, Space Science (Robotics)/1, Discipline/2, Mechanic/2, Engineer (J-Drive)/2, Engineer (Power)/2

Julianna- Ex-Merc
Athletics 0, Combat engineer 0, Deception 1, Drive 0, Gun combat (slug rifles) 2, JoT 1, Recon 0, Stealth 1, Streetwise 0, Survival 1

Jenny- Recalled Scout -May reappear
pilot 2, smallcraft 1, persuade 2, blade 1, zero G 0, space sciences 0, vacc suit 0, astrogation 0, comms 0, mechanic 0, survival 0, Gun Combat 0

I've only used first or nicknames for each character. All the noted npc's were once PC's. But are still being kept around.
I'm not sure where you would like your character to fit in to all of them, though there are a few missing useful skills.

For character creation, roll 2d6 6 times, do this 3 times and pick which set of six results you like. (2d6 rolls 1 to 6 one set, 7-12 2nd set etc)
Homeworld, I can either generate one for you, if you wish your character to be from the Collective or the Independents. Otherwise you can randomly generate one, or ask me to randomly generate one for you not belonging to the above two empires. You can also pick one of the main worlds that have already been mapped.
Use the select skills variant.
Standard limitation on how much you can buy, except benefit equipment of course. Which is Cr2000. No equipment from CSC book.
Tech limit of 11 for yourself.
Last but not least skill package for your character, 2 skills from the traveller package.

Do you have the core book?
And what forum rpg games have you played? 3.5 D&D etc

Also, seeing as you said you have had no experience with traveller before, what are you expecting?

Well, my systemic RPG experience is Star Wars Saga, Star Wars D20, Star Wars EotE, DnD 3.5, DnD 4.0, Pathfinder, oWoD, nWoD, Scion, FATE (including the Dresden Files subsetting), MnM (3rd and DC Universe), BESM, Shadowrun (whatever the most recent before the new stuff that came out this year/is coming out), uhm... I think that's it. Forum games I've played are mostly freeform, stemming from a couple of years at a site called the Lord of the Rings Plaza, which is a massive continuous LotR role-playing forum, a couple star wars independent forums, and some harry potter stuff, but all of that was years ago.

I've been reading the crap out of the core rule book over the last couple of days (at least, the Mongoose Traveler version, which is what I assume you're using, this being the Mongoose forums and all, let me know if I'm wrong) and it looks kind of like Firefly Trek Babylon Galactica Wars to me, of which I heartily enjoy all (save Babylon... never got into it...).

Looks like you've got a pirate, pilot, AND mechanic currently, but are lacking a "face" character, the Malcolm Solo of the group, so to speak, which I can happily fill, provided the character rolls support it. I'll roll up the planet here in a minute and chronicle it in this thread.

Also, just to continue the theme of the names, my character's surname is going to be Drake. Because there weren't enough D's in the campaign.

Allright, so the planet is done. No idea how it fits into the game worlds that you've already created, but it's a nice little rock

Kaithar XXXX E7876A6-4 P GaAgRiNiLt (possibly A based solely on government)
A sparsely populated, temperate planet slightly smaller than Earth, Kaithar is home to a frontier starport and a high code of laws. The charismatic dictator leads the people fervently, but a Civil Service Bureaucracy is starting to get a bit of support, and the planet's chief corporation, AdvanCorp, is lobbying for support to take over control of the world as well. Kaithar has a very low tech level available, most of it's immigrants coming from the pirates that frequent the starport and seem to have a base elsewhere on the world.

The dense atmosphere makes the air fairly dry, so the population relaxes in the world's many lakes, rivers, and oceans as their primary form of recreation. The people tend to shun higher technologies, preferring their semi-archaic methods of production. The lack of higher forms of entertainment, coupled with the dryness of the air and frequent bullying by passing pirates, has made the people restless and more violent than usual. The pirating also has the unfortunate side effect of causing protests directed at AdvanCorp, since they are the primary backers for expansion of the planet's meager space trade.

(4 rolls on the cultural differences table made for a fun little briefing...)

Erm, great, but except maybe one thing. A starport rating of E, typically is just a marked area of, very likely naturally well supported, ground surface. With a beacon at the location saying it is safe to land on this ground. Very unlikely to be anything else, not even a fence around the place.
It is just the knowledge after exploration of finding a suitable natural landing site and positioning a beacon (or many) at the location (or several locations).

---------

*Quietly walks to a wall, "Four D's". Then I begin banging my head on the wall.*

Fair enough, as I said I've got little experience with the flavor and setting of Traveler itself. I'll edit the above block to represent the lack of a real starport

Ethan Drake, 34 year old Human
Str 6, Dex 10, End 6, Int 9, Edu 9, Soc 12
T1 Diplomat rank 1, T2/3 Pirate rank 2, T4 Journalist rank 2

Admin 1
Advocate 0
Carouse 0
Comms 1
Deception 0
Diplomat 0
Gun Combat (Slug Pistols) 1
Gunner (Turrets) 1
Investigate 1
Melee (large blade) 1
Persuade 0
Streetwise 0
Stealth 1
Survival 0
Trade 0

1 enemy (the Collective investigator), 1 contact (Ethan's old editor), 1 weapon (autopistol w/ advanced laser sight, gyrostabiliser, and silencer), 149,600cr
Purchased Gear: Flak Jacket, eye protection, breather mask, Staff, and Cutlass

Backstory
Ethan was born and grew up on the frontier world Kaithar. His parents were workers at AdvanCorp, and when he came of age, they got Ethan a job in their legal department. He, along with his parents, lobbied for years against the government's restrictions on space flight and desire to remain isolated.

During his time as a negotiator for AdvanCorp, Ethan drew one of the Dictator's top diplomats to a standstill in a debate, and was even starting to sway the audience to his side. Furious, the diplomat challenged Ethan to a duel on the spot, which the AdvanCorp youth lost. While the diplomat's sword barely cut skin at all, it cut Ethan's reputation badly, and while he was allowed to remain on at AdvanCorp, it was clear that much of his voice had been silenced in front of that crowd.

Deciding that uselessly pushing against a loved dictator was not the life for him, Drake eventually left the company, stowing away on a pirate vessel that had touched down to steal from the local grocer. Upon his discovery, Ethan talked his way into joining the crew. His exploits with the pirate crew were many and varied, eventually knocking off a major bank on a core world of the Collective. The job went bad, and even though the crew escaped with the loot, a teller and two guards were killed during the escape. One police investigator, the brother of the murdered teller, took special interest in the crew, and made it his personal mission to track down each and every member of the crew.

Later on, Ethan's crew became embroiled in a psuedo-war with another pirate gang. As one gang would be leaving a job, the other would always be there, waiting to try to snatch the take. While the war was brutal, it was also short, as Ethan snuck aboard and placed a transponder on their ship, then alerted the authorities as to it's location.

After almost a decade of life as a pirate, Drake decided it was time for a break, settling down on a lush planet and taking up writing. He got a jop as an investigative journalist with a prominent news service, writing quite a few piercing reports and winning a modest award for his efforts. Realizing that calm, planetary life was never going to suit him, Ethan left the news service after only a few years, reaching for the stars one again...

I'll put in a holding post for a backup character. I've got a concept, I'll work this up depending is what the fall out is above.

Augmentation, would be as long as it conforms to the described tech limit, and is with in the characters starting budget of 2000.

Did you also include 2 skills that you can select from the stated package?
You can find some worlds in the information section of my campaign. Scroll down to a post with a subsector map. Others, being those not mapped yet belonging to either the collective, or the Independents, you will need to ask me so that I can randomly select one from the worlds I have already stated up for them. You are welcome to make your own, and they could be from one of the other human empires. Also worth of note, is that you can find loads of information already posted, in the information thread there, as well as be usefull for you to read up on a few other threads. Though there are things that the current players are still learning, as well as myself still making up. As I am making my own universe as we play along. Though a fair bit has been put in place already.

Chas I believe I can squeeze you in, just.

coldwar said:
Augmentation, would be as long as it conforms to the described tech limit, and is with in the characters starting budget of 2000.

Did you also include 2 skills that you can select from the stated package?
You can find some worlds in the information section of my campaign. Scroll down to a post with a subsector map. Others, being those not mapped yet belonging to either the collective, or the Independents, you will need to ask me so that I can randomly select one from the worlds I have already stated up for them. You are welcome to make your own, and they could be from one of the other human empires. Also worth of note, is that you can find loads of information already posted, in the information thread there, as well as be usefull for you to read up on a few other threads. Though there are things that the current players are still learning, as well as myself still making up. As I am making my own universe as we play along. Though a fair bit has been put in place already.

Chas I believe I can squeeze you in, just.

Wait so the credits I got from mustering out don't count then?

Ok. This is a commonly overlooked little bit of information, which I prefer to use. And is in the core book.
You are allowed to use up to Cr2000, of any credits you have, upon mustering out to buy equipment. Any credits you have left over, you have those for future purchases once you start the campaign with your character.
It's there to prevent characters from carrying a personnel armoury fit for a king and having still the ability to buy even more. And instead to support characters in trading, so that they actually have some spare cash to buy spec goods from the start.

remember this excludes benefit weapons etc.

coldwar said:
Ok. This is a commonly overlooked little bit of information, which I prefer to use. And is in the core book.
You are allowed to use up to Cr2000, of any credits you have, upon mustering out to buy equipment. Any credits you have left over, you have those for future purchases once you start the campaign with your character.
It's there to prevent characters from carrying a personnel armoury fit for a king and having still the ability to buy even more. And instead to support characters in trading, so that they actually have some spare cash to buy spec goods from the start.

remember this excludes benefit weapons etc.

I understand completely, thanks.

Coolio. you found a world you like? I haven't gone in to much detail yet on most of them

And Chas, I think that should be ok.

Gustav Calathan 778DA3 Age 34
Race: Human
Homeworld Name and UWP: Asteroid, Rich, Industrial
Class and terms: T3 Scavenger (Salvage Expert), T1 Broker (Illicits)
Distinguishing features: Lined, aged look. Tall, slight build. Fair complexion, grey eyes, black hair. No distinguishing features.

Skills:
Advocate 1
Athletics 0
Broker 0
Carouse 0
Gun Combat (Energy Pistols) 1
Jack of All Trades 3
Melee 0
Mechanics 0
Recon 1
Sensors 1
Streetwise 0
Trade 0
Vacc suit 0
Zero-G 0
Equipment: Cloth TL10 armour 5 w/smart fabric, eye protection, breather mask, and Stun pistol TL10 w/ power pack, advanced laser sight and secure
One Navy ally communications officer, one buyer/seller (Merchant Prince pg 5)
Cash: 58,300cr, with 40kcredit on stick on various credit sticks and 18,300cr cash

Background:
Gustav is a man in the prime of life, his hard, lived-in face lined with space exposure and substance abuse. First appearance of him now in the work clothes of his last job, a smart armored business suit, gives no clues to his past. Gustav could be a typical successful professional of a dozen different careers. Any scratch in the facade of the urbane gangsta lawyer though reveals a space rat through and through, from bilge to brig.
A tall man, slim without being skinny, Gustav could be considered handsome if he’d ever bothered to make more of his appearance. There is a certain steel in his gaze, a direct abruptness of manner that hints at a mind that has little time or patience for fripperies. His brutal intellect does not reveal itself in some astonishing powers of calculation or memory. It is only after having Gustav butt into a discussion between a jump drive engineer and the physicist designer and point out what they are doing wrong that people begin to get a glimpse of the formidable mind housed in the dregs of space detritus he represents.
Gustav never talks much about his origins. “Homeworld?” he scoffs. “I couldn’t wait to get off the miserable lump of freezing rock.” A man whose parents lived on one of the innumerable necessary asteroid mining enclaves, where for all the wealth the industry created there was nothing for the affluent workers to do but dissolutely party through the downtime till the next shift started.
Convicted of possession of a small amount of mild hallucinogenics in his early years as a salvage scavenger, Gustav has a criminal record, but is no way a hardened criminal. He abhors casual killing. Not that he is a pacifist, he's had to use a sledge to brain a few salvage claim jumpers in his time. However he's seen too much pointless violence between boozed miners, drug freakheads and spaced-out maniacs - wasted human life by the score - to have anything but disdain for people whose first reaction to being crossed is to swing their fists or reach for a gun.
For Gustav his only early goals were to get rich quick. The plan was his salvage ally turned naval communications officer would be able to feed information of the latest space battles and wrecks, and Gustav would simply go forth to reap the rewards. It never quite worked out like that, and enough being enough at the final mustering out Gustav took the few credits he had and invested in a broker’s license. He had a scheme to use junk scrap trading to legally launder money to propose. In studying the various aspects of trading and import law he found he had a natural bent to advocacy, not that he wasn’t good at almost everything he applied himself to. Still he got lucky and was able to wrangle an impressive financial coup, in the process saving a buyer from being scrubbed by Gustav’s employers.
Now with funds and having stayed in the good books of some rather dangerous individuals Gustav has taken the opportunity to clear out of town, the farther the better, to vanish into space and build a new life, the excesses of his youth now behind him.

@coldwar: better late than never. The character's world I'm assuming can be any politically ambivalent mining asteroid. Where he may have completed his broker term I'd leave to you.

Coolio, I've not read your characters background, as at the moment I'm busy. Will do later though. But otherwise ok, except the melee skill. When its at level 0 its for all forms of melee. It doesn't cascade at that level, until it becomes level 1 for the first time.
And also, I see allot of class 0's, I think allot more then there should be. So, I think I know where you have gone wrong, but I'd need to look in to it further. Though, if I am right, for your second career type, you took all the service class skills, instead of just the one. Am I correct? If I'm wrong could you please tell me how you got them. Thank you.

coldwar said:
When its at level 0 its for all forms of melee. It doesn't cascade at that level, until it becomes level 1 for the first time.
Oops, I caught that but forgot to edit it. Had the idea of a big sledge hammer in my mind for some reason, heh.
And also, I see allot of class 0's, I think allot more then there should be. So, I think I know where you have gone wrong, but I'd need to look in to it further. Though, if I am right, for your second career type, you took all the service class skills, instead of just the one. Am I correct? If I'm wrong could you please tell me how you got them. Thank you.
Let's have a look:
3 for the home world background
1 for second career
6 for basic training
=10
Recon got the +1 on 2nd level Scavenger so that's 9 total 0s which is correct by my reckoning.

Back