Omega Destroyers/ Warlock destroyers

Where is the bridge located on either vessel? I want to paint a "window" from which the captain can see whats in front of the vessel but where should it go?

certainly on the Omega, their is no Window (at least we never see one0 and as the bridge has gravity, it is somewhere inthe rotating section, so your guess is as good as anyones where it is. Of course if Mongoose release omega ship plans, it will say something on there. And we see the Warlock so little on screen, stick it where it looks cool!!

My guess, is that all new Ships have their Bridge build more in the middle interior of the Ship. So that there are no easy Bridge hits anymore.
I don´t even know, if the desk on the Hyperion is a Bridge or only a Viewingplattform.

The warlock is unlikely to have windows on the bridge. You'll more than likely find it buried in the centre of the ship.

like most modern ships today we have windows on the bridge, so why wouldn't they in a couple hundred years? on the omega i dought that there are any windows on the ship. On the Warlock i would guess that it would be on the upper most portion of the ship. however, just like our ships are today the commanding officer would never be on the bridge during a fight, he would instead be buried deep within the hull in the Combat information center or CIC.

The Omega's bridge is in the centerline of the ship, in the rotating section where it has gravity.

Not sure where the Warlock's would be, but likely somewhere in the center as well.

The first "EA" ship to have actual windows on the bridge that I can remember was the Victory-class Destroyer... and that ship is a departure from EA ship design in more ways than one, representing an extremely different architecture, let alone alien technologies.

fussellg said:
like most modern ships today we have windows on the bridge, so why wouldn't they in a couple hundred years? on the omega i dought that there are any windows on the ship. On the Warlock i would guess that it would be on the upper most portion of the ship. however, just like our ships are today the commanding officer would never be on the bridge during a fight, he would instead be buried deep within the hull in the Combat information center or CIC.

because if a window pops theres no air in space your in trouble :p not quiet the same when your fightin within a planetoid with Oxygen.

Thing is the Bridge on a modern warship is mostly used for steering and looking good! :)

You actually FIGHT the ship from the combat information centre (CIC) which is usually below decks as it needs all the walls for computers radar screens and so on.

Given the distances and technologies involved inB5 I doubt steering is even done with the MK1 Eyeball so it would make sense to combine BRidge and CIC in the same place.

GhostRecon said:
The Omega's bridge is in the centerline of the ship, in the rotating section where it has gravity

Doubt if it'd be in the centre, the rotating section would be more or less at zero-G there. More likely to be in the middle of one of the "arms" I'd have thought.

The original reason that real world navies moved command ops from an exposed bridge to a below-decks enclosed CIC was to avoid having everyone burned or blinded by the flash of a nuclear explosion (presumably one that was too distant for the air blast to actually sink the ship).

The same reasoning applies to a warship in space (apart from the bit about air blast, natch), even more so with lasers being fired back and forth, and the Mk 1 eyeball probably not being very much use at the distances and speeds of space combat.

That, and, like submarines, the B5 ships are operating in a hostile environment. And none of the crew are suited. Take a hit on the bridge and everyone dies. And they don't have forcefield technology. Leaving them with only 1 way to protect the bridge...

That said, B5's own CIC was on a promontory, exposed, at the front of the station.

Yes, it doubled as docking control for the bays above it, but that's got to be pretty vulnerable...

locarno24 said:
That said, B5's own CIC was on a promontory, exposed, at the front of the station.

Yes, it doubled as docking control for the bays above it, but that's got to be pretty vulnerable...

even tho B5 has blast doors CIC still gets damaged

locarno24 said:

One explanation for this is, that Babylon 5 was not a military Station from its beginning.
It is a Diplomatic and Civil Station. And it was cheaper to build the C&C Center in front. And docking of the shuttles is easier to handle if the Crew can see them.

Goldritter said:
One explanation for this is, that Babylon 5 was not a military Station from its beginning.
It is a Diplomatic and Civil Station. And it was cheaper to build the C&C Center in front. And docking of the shuttles is easier to handle if the Crew can see them.

but they dont need to see them as they have computer systems for the telemitary like moden day ATC

Shadow Queen said:
but they dont need to see them as they have computer systems for the telemitary like moden day ATC

Ok. Then the Designer knew, that a commander like it to see out of a window and see the stars and alien ships. And so decide to build the C&C Center in the front, and because its a civil Station, it will not come under attack of "big" ships so a normal steel wand, which can move in front of the Window, will be enougth. ;)

Or it was cheaper to build it so, as to put it into the middel of the Station.
(And you have more space for living quarter, which you can get a higher leasing .)
Don´t forgett. Babylon 5 was build as cheap as possible ;)

Back