Nicholas Fantom and the Golem of Brick Lane

A

Anonymous

OK this is not quite Lone Wolf but the Fighting Fantasy guys are releasing a new series around the hero Nicholas Fantom beginning with "The Golem of Brick Lane". The system is reminscient of Lone Wolf and it even has a overarching plot with items usable in later books.

Plus all the art work is by Gary Chalk. It is written by John Sutherland who used to be the editor of White Dwarf and work for Games Workshop.

The book is excellent and really does a good job of building a story (much like Lone Wolf over Fighting Fantasy) with interesting NPCs, bad guys and twists.

The book is set in Victorian England and has liberal dashes of Holmes, Dickens and Cthulhu and a light splash of Steampunk.

The book is quite mature despite being for younger adults. It is gruesome at times and has a lot of real world trivia including Jewist Kabbalist cults and other secret societies.

Rock on it is good stuff.

Sounds good - a Phillip Pulman-style adventure book.

Here's hoping it will spark a renaisance in the game book market and Lone Wolf will get reprinted!

Greg Smith said:
Sounds good - a Phillip Pulman-style adventure book.

Here's hoping it will spark a renaisance in the game book market and Lone Wolf will get reprinted!

Kind of. It seems more Holmes, Dickens and Cthulhu to me as the fantasy is quite subtle.

Anyway, I have almost finished it and I must say the quality of the story development is on par with Lone Wolf if not a little more advanced. Then again it does 500 entries making it around a 3 hour read.

columbob said:
Guest said:
Then again it does 500 entries making it around a 3 hour read.

Depends on who's reading, of course. Different people read at different speeds.

True but Lone Wolf started at 250 and worked its way to 400. 500 is a pretty hefty number for starting with in this business :)

Guest said:
Nicholas Fantom

Who?

The Fighting Fantasy Guys

I trust you mean Steve Jackson & Ian Livingstone (although I have an ominous feeling you just mean the company that did the reprints :().

Lone Wolf started at 250

Um nope. Every Lone Wolf book I have (1-9) has exactly 350 entries. I hear that a few later books might have been longer but none were shorter.

Balgin Stondraeg said:
Um nope. Every Lone Wolf book I have (1-9) has exactly 350 entries. I hear that a few later books might have been longer but none were shorter.

Um, nope.

You obviously don't have Book 5, as that was 400 sections long.

And Book 28 was only 300 sections long.

Aside from these two discrepancies, the Lone Wolf books all had 350 sections.

-GB

Ghost Bear said:
Balgin Stondraeg said:

Um, nope.

You obviously don't have Book 5, as that was 400 sections long.

And Book 28 was only 300 sections long.

Aside from these two discrepancies, the Lone Wolf books all had 350 sections.

-GB

I swapped book 5 for book 2 years back on a temporary basis and lost touch with the guy so I haven't seen 5 in ages. Anyway, my point still stands that they didn't start at 250.

Back