News about new Conan movie

Style said:
Old Bear said:
Granted, but the point is nobody is going around dissing the LOTR trilogy as being an embarrassment to the subject.

That's not true either. I have Tolkien purist friends who think Peter Jackson is a hack, and hate how he butchered John Ronald Reuel's masterpiece. While I don't agree with them, I think the few liberties Jackson took were minor, they disagree with me fully.

Okay, you are always going to get a few uber-purists, but these guys are the sort that you can't take out socially. All I know is that if Ratner applies the same standards to his Conan film then I'll be a happy bunny. Not holding my breath though. Let's face it, going back to the first two films, it's not like Milius didn't have a score of good stories to replicate on screen without coming together with the drivel that was Conan the Barbarian's plot. "Look everybody, let's go to Cimmeria where they invented steel!"

the link (without all the goddamn adds) said:
November 13, 2008 - It turns out that the producer of the new Conan movie spoke too soon when he announced the news that Brett Ratner was set to direct the Barbarian's long-awaited big screen return.

Ratner informed The Los Angeles Times that producer Avi Lerner of Nu Image/Millennium Films was "premature" in issuing a press release. "Let me make this very clear," Ratner told the paper. "I am not doing Conan now. This is totally premature. For now, Conan is only a development deal. I have a deal at Paramount and I'm doing Beverly Hills Cop first, no matter what. Avi shouldn't be telling you or anyone else in the press what I'm doing."

The Times says that Lerner hopes to film Conan in Bulgaria with some additional exterior shooting in China. As for the casting of the title role, Lerner told the paper: "We're looking for a younger Arnold Schwarzenegger, someone we could sign to a three- or four-picture deal, because I see this as a real long-term franchise."

Lerner added that Schwarzenegger told him last year that he'd like to do the film. "He said, 'Wait two years for me -- I'll be coming back.' But I can't wait that long." However, the producer reportedly offered the California governor $1 million to film a one-day cameo but Schwarzenegger didn't say yes. Lerner says that he will approach him again with the offer down the line.
That sounds like good news to me!

(now what am I going to do with that undead duck? :?)

Old Bear said:
Style said:
Old Bear said:
Granted, but the point is nobody is going around dissing the LOTR trilogy as being an embarrassment to the subject.

That's not true either. I have Tolkien purist friends who think Peter Jackson is a hack, and hate how he butchered John Ronald Reuel's masterpiece. While I don't agree with them, I think the few liberties Jackson took were minor, they disagree with me fully.

Okay, you are always going to get a few uber-purists, but these guys are the sort that you can't take out socially.

I laughed out loud. You would too if you knew the people I was talking about. :)

Oh Dear, he's doing Beverley Hills Cop, I like those movies.

Well, maybe not a huge fan of the 3rd one, but the first two are fun to watch, and the theme tune, sans Crazy Frog annoyances is brilliant.

LBH

Strom said:
It's confirmed - no Ratner:

http://movies.ign.com/articles/929/929732p1.html

Arnie cameo is interesting...
I am pleased to say:
WRONG!
November 13, 2008 - It turns out that the producer of the new Conan movie spoke too soon when he announced the news that Brett Ratner was set to direct the Barbarian's long-awaited big screen return.

Ratner informed The Los Angeles Times that producer Avi Lerner of Nu Image/Millennium Films was "premature" in issuing a press release. "Let me make this very clear," Ratner told the paper. "I am not doing Conan now. This is totally premature. For now, Conan is only a development deal. I have a deal at Paramount and I'm doing Beverly Hills Cop first, no matter what. Avi shouldn't be telling you or anyone else in the press what I'm doing."

Kortoso said:
Strom said:
It's confirmed - no Ratner:

Arnie cameo is interesting...
I am pleased to say:
WRONG!

um, dude - that is what I said - no Ratner :!:

Strom said:
um, dude - that is what I said - no Ratner :!:

Maybe he was just pleased to say "WRONG!"
106.gif

Anyone listened to the batshit insanity of the CTB's DVD commentary? Milius and Arnie (who may or may not be high throughout) both approve of reviving the franchise for the long-planned 3rd, and darkest, installment. Milius says always intended to do a trilogy, though I doubt a script is extant.

Arnie could feasibly return as Conan the aged monarch (there's a nice correlation with real life there also). Unfortunately, though, I doubt any studio would greenlight another major action feature with a 60 year old star in the manner of Indiana Jones or Die Hard. More likely we'll see a painfully inept reboot with a CGI-abbed Ashton Kutcher and a stooge director with music video credentials.

+1 on Mel Gibson for ideal director IMO. I think it takes a certain semi-psychotic, rabidly right-wing machismo to be bold enough to take the material seriously. Milius really deserves credit for being mad enough to play it straight, an approach only Gibson is equally mad enough to emulate. Too bad Milius has now entered the "nudie monster flick" stage of his career and couldn't get arrested in Hollywood these days.

MegazoicWizard said:
+1 on Mel Gibson for ideal director IMO. I think it takes a certain semi-psychotic, rabidly right-wing machismo to be bold enough to take the material seriously.

lol.

I would rather not see Clint Eastwood directing Conan.

For one if they are talking multi-picture (3 or 4 movies) he might not be around long enough to do them.

I would rather see 1 director do all the movies a-la Peter Jackson LotR and the Hobbit.

maladaar said:
I would rather not see Clint Eastwood directing Conan.

For one if they are talking multi-picture (3 or 4 movies) he might not be around long enough to do them.

I would rather see 1 director do all the movies a-la Peter Jackson LotR and the Hobbit.

Just FYI, Jackson is not directing The Hobbit. Guillermo del Toro is. He's the dude that directed Hell Boy I & II and Pan's Labyrinth.

Not a bad choice for The Hobbit, I'd say.

He might make a good Conan director, too. The white haired dude in Hell Boy II reminded me of Elric. I could see del Toro doing a good job with Conan--he's certainly the best person for the job from what I've heard so far (Eastwood and Ratner).

Supplement Four said:
He might make a good Conan director, too. The white haired dude in Hell Boy II reminded me of Elric. I could see del Toro doing a good job with Conan--he's certainly the best person for the job from what I've heard so far (Eastwood and Ratner).

By the gods did Hellboy II suck! del Toro was completely wasted on that PoS movie. :x

Don't know if Eastwood could do the Hyborian Age properly and I have a "who gives a f_ck" attitude towards Ratner. Not sure del Toro could do the age of Conan well either. <shrug>

I thought also that Hellboy II sucked, but the movie was visually attractive nonetheless. It's better than a FF4 movie or any Roland Emmerich crap, but there's still a long way to go to call this a good movie.

Back