News about new Conan movie

So, who do you think they got for Conan?

The Rock played a real good Conan in the Scorpion King.
171640__kingbop_l.jpg

Or they could have Conan as Conan! :p
conanobrien6hh.jpg

Brett Ratner circles 'Conan'
Gatta and Lerner of Millennium Films are producing

By Jay A. Fernandez and Borys Kit

Nov 8, 2008, 12:08 AM ET

Updated: Nov 8, 2008, 05:48 PM ET
Director Brett Ratner is in final negotiations to take on literature's most famous barbarian.

Over the past few weeks, Ratner has been considering signing on to direct a 21st century update of "Conan," co-produced by Nu Image/Millennium and Lionsgate Films, even as he pushes another high-profile project -- a fourth installment of the "Beverly Hills Cop" franchise -- toward a greenlight at Paramount, where he recently set up shop.

While the "Conan" development deal puts the brawny brigand on Ratner's docket, "BHC IV" is still likely to go into production first.

Ratner jibed to the "Conan" script by Gersh-repped Joshua Oppenheimer and Thomas Dean Donnelly, who looked to Robert E. Howard's original pulp stories of the 1930s to create their take on the character. The writers are doing a quick polish to incorporate some of Ratner's ideas, with an eye toward releasing the film in 2010.

Joe Gatta and Avi Lerner of Millennium Films are producing, along with Paradox Entertainment president and CEO Fredrik Malmberg.

Meanwhile, Paramount -- eyeing the successful fourth-installment resurrections of the long-dormant "Die Hard" and "Indiana Jones" franchises -- has been gunning to get Detroit's funniest cop back on the streets for a summer 2010 release with Ratner behind the camera. Much-wanted "Wanted" scribes Michael Brandt and Derek Haas have been working on the script so the filmmakers can take advantage of a small scheduling window open for perpetually working star Eddie Murphy.

As for "Conan," Millennium and Lionsgate are eyeing a potential franchise and envision a very R-rated approach in the $85 million budget range.

"The story opens on the battlefield where Conan is born and tells the origin story that sets the stage for what will be the first of multiple films," Lerner said. "This is a coup for Millennium Films and proves that our choice of projects and material is attracting much higher-profile directors and actors."

Oliver Stone and John Milius wrote the surly fictional thief's first screen incarnation, "Conan the Barbarian," which Milius also directed in 1982. A jokier, less blood-and-boob-heavy sequel, "Conan the Destroyer," destroyed the character's franchise chances in 1984 by aiming for a PG-13 rating.

Oppenheimer and Donnelly also wrote "Sahara" and "A Sound of Thunder," and they have "Airborn" in development at Universal, with Stephen Sommers attached to direct.

Ratner, repped by CAA, most recently directed "Rush Hour 3" and "X-Men: The Last Stand."

MGBM said:
Oppenheimer and Donnelly also wrote "Sahara" and "A Sound of Thunder," and they have "Airborn" in development at Universal, with Stephen Sommers attached to direct.

I thought Sahara was pretty good, fun movie, although it was certainly not brain food.

KemperBoyd said:
Krushnak said:
Why by all the hells do they feel the need to do their own take on Conan?

Well, either they do that or have an undead REH write and direct it.

That's an option?!?! :shock:

;)

KemperBoyd said:
I'm getting to work on that.
Satanisten1.jpg

Now, I need some blood!
ketchup_img.jpg

Oops!!!
Howard_Duck_11__Movie_.jpg

DAME IT, WRONG HOWARD!!! I think its going to take a bit more time then I thought. :?

Never mind. I'm sure your new undead friend could help Mongoose promote "Guide to the Durulz". And he'd still do a better job than Ratner with the Conan movie.

You never know he might make a good job of it *I say shaking with worry* :( :)
I though x-men and red dragon were quite good movies, It might be his real break through for a serious flick :?

Howard already did write it while he was alive! That's the point! and i was only talking about the writers not the the director. I have no faith that ratner will do a good job and i will be fervently not praying to Crom that he manages to pull a miracle out of his arse and make this an awesome movie.

Krushnak said:

Howard already did write it while he was alive! That's the point! and i was only talking about the writers not the the director. I have no faith that ratner will do a good job and i will be fervently not praying to Crom that he manages to pull a miracle out of his arse and make this an awesome movie.

I think that he may have been saying that Howard didn't write screenplays. There is a lot of work that goes into converting from one medium to another.

Look at Hour of the Dragon. It was a port from short story to novel and REH changed a lot of things. He did write a fragment of a play featuring Bran Mac Morn, but it was awful.

While there is indeed a lot of work changing stories for the screen, LOTR showed it can be done with a great deal of sympathy.

Old Bear said:
While there is indeed a lot of work changing stories for the screen, LOTR showed it can be done with a great deal of sympathy.

True, but the movies were still Peter Jackson's "take on" the classic tales.

There is no way for a Conan movie to made without it being some one's take on Howard's work. Barring necromancy, as previously mentioned. :)

Granted, but the point is nobody is going around dissing the LOTR trilogy as being an embarrassment to the subject. You look at LOTR and can relate to the Middle Earth written about by Tolkien. You look at the Conan films and they have as much to do with Hyboria as Hawk the Slayer, for example, barring gratuitous use of names.

Old Bear said:
Granted, but the point is nobody is going around dissing the LOTR trilogy as being an embarrassment to the subject. You look at LOTR and can relate to the Middle Earth written about by Tolkien. You look at the Conan films and they have as much to do with Hyboria as Hawk the Slayer, for example, barring gratuitous use of names.

That is just not true OB - there is Howard in CTB. There is Hyboria and there is sword & sorcery. Three recognizable pieces to Conan. And it's not an embarrassment except to a few purists who would hate any movie- CTB's the most successful s&s movie ever. Geez!

Anyways, Ratner may not be the director yet:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/the_big_pi...-ratner-an.html

Old Bear said:
Granted, but the point is nobody is going around dissing the LOTR trilogy as being an embarrassment to the subject.

That's not true either. I have Tolkien purist friends who think Peter Jackson is a hack, and hate how he butchered John Ronald Reuel's masterpiece. While I don't agree with them, I think the few liberties Jackson took were minor, they disagree with me fully.

Strom said:
Old Bear said:

That is just not true OB - there is Howard in CTB. There is Hyboria and there is sword & sorcery. Three recognizable pieces to Conan. And it's not an embarrassment except to a few purists who would hate any movie- CTB's the most successful s&s movie ever. Geez!

Anyways, Ratner may not be the director yet:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/the_big_pi...-ratner-an.html

I don't see any advancement on my assessment, Strom. The whole point is using a few names doesn't make it Hyboria. Thulsa Doom is a ridiculous character. Where''s he from exactly? As for his two Vanir sidekicks, at what point did those guys get into magic, snake-charming and Set? It's nonsense. That doesn't mean it's not a fun S&S watch, but the two areguments don't need to be mutually exclusive.

Back