News about new Conan movie

Three months? How long did it take to make? Lets no get overexcited;I suspect the timing of the films release was not a coincidence. But perhaps you're right, Sting52jb, that if Beastmaster had enjoyed a bigger budget it might have been a better film. But lets face it, after Conan The Barbarian, the 80's (and I was there too) had a rash of unfortunate fanatsy genre films. Remember Dolph Lundgren in Masters of the Universe???
No-one has had anything nice to say about Mr Ratner. So who should direct? The 13th Warrior guy, McTiernan(?), also did Predator and some Die Hards. He could work.
How about Christophe Gans? He did Brotherhood of the Wolf, Silent Hill (well, it looked good even if the narrative was a little dubious) and, perhaps most interestingly, Necronomicon.

WeakAsAKhitan said:
No-one has had anything nice to say about Mr Ratner. So who should direct?

Sergio Leone would have been great, but he has left us.

I think Tarantino would be a good choice, but after watching the Dark Knight, I think Christopher Nolan would be good.

David Twohy might actually work. I've always felt Chronicles of Riddick had the most Sword and Sorcery feel of any sci fi movie I've seen.

James Cameron might work. Ridley Scott is another good one.

Don't laugh, but what about Mel Gibson? I thought Brave heart and Apocolypto were pretty good flicks.

Ridley Scott is already busy on "Nottingham", with Russel Crowe. Javier Bardem (the bad guy from "No Country For Old Men") looks like he'd make a great Conan. More likely, we'll get Brendan Fraser reprising his goofy humour from "George of the Jungle". Ratner wanted him to play Superman, before "Superman Returns" was taken away from him.

I just finished watching 1982 "Beastmaster" a few minutes ago. As a kid, I had no idea it was campy, but when John Amos threw off his cloak to reveal his studded black leather bondage suit I almost fell out of my chair laughing. It is a fun movie. In the extras, Marc Singer recounts that when the actors saw each other in costume that morning they had the same reaction. They were falling over themselves, laughing out loud for a full five minutes.

I do hope the new conan can be a serious epic, but I can see that every movie has its place. "Pearl Harbour" is under my coffee mug.

Cheers,
Brisco.

Brisco said:
Javier Bardem (the bad guy from "No Country For Old Men") looks like he'd make a great Conan.

BardemTERESA-ISASI.jpg

He might need to hit the gym a bit, but yeah, I could see that.

WeakAsAKhitan said:
Gibson also acted in the Mad Max films, which had a Conanesque brutality.

There would have been a time when poiting out Mel Gibson was Mad Max would be akin to saying God was in the Bible a bit. :wink:

Old Bear said:
WeakAsAKhitan said:

There would have been a time when poiting out Mel Gibson was Mad Max would be akin to saying God was in the Bible a bit. :wink:

True, but remember Old BEar, there's a whole generation of youngsters out there that don't realise how similar Resident Evil Extinction is to Mad Max 2 because they've never seen The Road Warrior.

LBH

lastbesthope said:
Old Bear said:
WeakAsAKhitan said:

True, but remember Old BEar, there's a whole generation of youngsters out there that don't realise how similar Resident Evil Extinction is to Mad Max 2 because they've never seen The Road Warrior.

LBH

That's their misfortune. I don't have to be nice to them any more. :wink:

Oh indeed.

Any children unfortunate enough to have me for a parent will at least have the benefit of a good education in film and other media.

"Yes LBH Jr. technically there were actually 6 Star Wars movies, but trust me you don't want to see the the ones without Harrison Ford in them"

:lol:

LBH

The original Mad Max was released in Australia in 1979! If you can get your hands on that version (not the US dubbed version) you might be interested to hear Gibsons accent. There is certainly a generation of kids who haven't heard that.

WeakAsAKhitan said:
The original Mad Max was released in Australia in 1979! If you can get your hands on that version (not the US dubbed version) you might be interested to hear Gibsons accent. There is certainly a generation of kids who haven't heard that.

Sadly I can remember going to the cinema to see the original release in the full Aussie format.

lastbesthope said:
Old Bear said:
WeakAsAKhitan said:

LBH

according to the commentary that was of course intentional :D

Good film but not as wonderful as the other two which I love.

Da Boss said:
according to the commentary that was of course intentional :D

Indeed, that's where I got the realisation from.

These will be the same kids that think Mallrats "injuries" scene is a reference to Lethal Weapon 3 rather than Jaws.

Gods I'm getting old.

LBH

I still think Arnie should do a "King Conan" movie (perhaps based on Hour of the Dragon), once he retires from his governorship... and he'll have enough money to finance and direct it himself!

Solmyr said:
I still think Arnie should do a "King Conan" movie (perhaps based on Hour of the Dragon), once he retires from his governorship... and he'll have enough money to finance and direct it himself!

How fitting. ^^

My girlfriend and I have been plotting to emigrate to California, open a German/Austrian restaurant there, invite the governor, and when he turns up, yell "Bring the roast oxen! It's Conan!"

Back