New player with an Energy Mine question

Littled

Mongoose
Hello all.
I'm a fairly new Bab 5 Acta player from the 'little island'.

A friend and I have been reading up on the rules and have had some fun games so far with the ships we have at our disposal.

We played a game a few nights ago (EA vs Narn) and one thing in particular happened that I felt I should run past people who will have lots more experience of playing the game. (I have also had a quick search though the forums and Energy Mine comes up quite a few times, but not what I was looking for).

The G'Quan fired a Energy Mine and caught three stands of Starfuries and a Hyperion in its blast range. The Energy Mine has eight AD, so do I roll eight AD for each stand of Starfuries and another eight for the Hyperion (total of 32 dice rolled) or do i pick one main target within the blast zone and roll eight dice against it?

The confusion has arisen because my opponent felt that this was really powerful for a one shot weapon. I mentioned that the rules seem clear (Every object within 3” of this point will automatically be attacked by the Energy Mine) and that he should just space his ships out more next time :eek:)

I also read that there is no splitting of AD from Energy Mine attacks so I am still leaning towards all ships in the blast zone getting eight attack diced.

Any thought on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
David

It is indeed a very powerful weapon when used correctly - even though as a Centauri player it pains me to say that.

You do indeed attack every ship in the blast area with the appropriate number of dice. As you say its only a one shot weapon, so it can be an important tactical choice when and when not to use it.

Its also really good against Minbari as you don't target a ship so it does not get Stealth :) lastly you can effectively fire at ships on the edge of blocking terrain if you target a point at the edge of that terrain.

B5 is still very much my fav incarnation of the ACTA rules.

Littled said:
The G'Quan fired a Energy Mine and caught three stands of Starfuries and a Hyperion in its blast range. The Energy Mine has eight AD, so do I roll eight AD for each stand of Starfuries and another eight for the Hyperion (total of 32 dice rolled) or do i pick one main target within the blast zone and roll eight dice against it?
As others have said, you roll the whole lot against everything in range, friend or foe alike, so watch where you place the energy mine! It's also the only thing you can fire at fighters which have just been in a dogfight - you don't really aim it at them, you aim it at a point in space which just happens to include them.

One thing, though - the regular G'Quan has only 6 AD of energy mine, not 8. The G'Quanth variant has 8 AD but it's War level. You should have rolled 24 dice total.

If you liked that, wait till you try the Dag'Kar (slow loading, not one shot, which means you get to do it again in a couple of turns) or the G'Karith (not even slow loading, which means you get to use it every turn; it's only single damage but it's great for clearing away fighters).

B5:ACTA is still supported by those who play it. :)

Many thanks for the replies folks.
The responses, the damage correction and the advise was appreciated.

D

In game - nothing :)

In universe - well you are basically chucking a dirty nuke at it - so quite a lot both immediately and for a long time afterwards.

Back