Multiclassing: house rule?

ray53208

Mongoose
although i can see the point of no multiclassing, i think that it really couldnt hurt anything to allow it as a house rule. any thoughts on the matter?

ray
8)

no comment i guess? okay then...

how about animal companions? like rangers. no magical abilities but a special bond between animal and human.

it could be a feat:

Animal Companion (General)
Prerequisites: Base Attack Bonus +1, 6 ranks in Handle Animal, Animal Affinity
Benefit: the character gains an animal companion selected from the following list: badger, camel, dire rat, dog, riding dog, eagle, hawk, horse (light or heavy), owl, pony, snake (Small or Medium viper), or wolf. If the campaign takes place wholly or partly in an aquatic environment, the following creatures may be added to the character’s list of options: crocodile, porpoise, Medium shark, and squid. This animal is a loyal companion that accompanies the character on his adventures as appropriate for its kind.
Special: every time this feat is chosen it strengthens the bond between the animal and character. This allows the animal to grow beyond the norms for its species and the character to train it with greater ease. This has seven levels.

Level of Bond Between Animal and Character:
1st: Bonus Defense/Soak +0/+0, Str/Dex/Fort/Ref Adj +0, Will Adj +0, Bonus Tricks +1, Base Attack Bonus +0, Link (+4 bonus to Handle Animal, push as move action)
2nd: Bonus Defense/Soak +2/+3, Str/Dex/Fort/Ref Adj +1, Will Adj +0, Bonus Tricks +2, Base Attack Bonus +1, Evasion
3rd: Bonus Defense/Soak +4/+6, Str/Dex/Fort/Ref Adj +2, Will Adj +1, Bonus Tricks +3, Base Attack Bonus +3, Devotion (Morale Will saves +4)
4th: Bonus Defense/Soak +6/+9, Str/Dex/Fort/Ref Adj +3, Will Adj +2, Bonus Tricks +4, Base Attack Bonus +4, Multiattack
5th: Bonus Defense/Soak +8/+12, Str/Dex/Fort/Ref Adj +4, Will Adj +2, Bonus Tricks +5, Base Attack Bonus +6
6th: Bonus Defense/Soak +10/+15, Str/Dex/Fort/Ref Adj +5, Will Adj +3, Bonus Tricks +6, Base Attack Bonus +7, Improved Evasion
7th: Bonus Defense/Soak +12/+18, Str/Dex/Fort/Ref Adj +6, Will Adj +4, Bonus Tricks +7, Base Attack Bonus +9

so there... whadayathink???

ray
8)

no one huh?
no "i love it because..."
or "i think you suck and should die..."
or " it would be better if..."

not one response?

dejected heavy sigh...

ray
8)

Sorry Ray...been meaning to comment on this for most of the week but have been EXtremely busy as you may have noticed from my sudden drop in posting. I am glad to have others to discuss this great setting.

I do think that the rule for no multi-classing is dumb and i'm ignoring it. Why not have a Scavenger-Trader, or a Mystic-Guardian. If any of my players have a desire to multiclass, ill find a way to do it...but we'll look to see if an advanced class might not fullfill their desires just as well.

As for your Animal companion...its an interesting idea. I myself created a character for the hapless Jock who died in last weeks adventure (read my post for details) who has a wolf companion. I gave the character the Animal Affinity feat a maxed his animal handling skill. The wolf will be controled by me the gm however and it will have a will of its own. I personally would use the animal handling skill to interact with animals, even pets and would rather stay away from the "druidic" type abilities for the average character...This does not mean that characters couldn't have a fighting companion if they have the skill and if they don't ask the beast to do something totally against its nature.

I could see this ability being used in an Advance Class that played off of the Mystic, sorta like the 'Messenger' or 'Prophet' classes...perhaps a 'Beastmaster' class where the Guardian and Mystic are brought together with some beastly affinities.

Very nice thoughts to consider.

Furymaster

B5 (2nd printing) allows multiclassing with no XP penalties, and Jeremiah would seem to fit with having multiclass characters, dunno about the XP penalty though.

LBH

Hi ray ... you should die ... ehmmmm i mean you are right ;)

Well boys i received my copies of the books a few days ago and they are great. I did some character creation ... and yeah ... why not multiclassing ?? If, let say a thief is able to multiclass with an advanced class of soldier ... then why not taking a multiclass with guardian or jock ? Also if a setting should provide multiclassing above all others ... this should be Jeremiah ... if you consider that in situations like these averyone is supposed to know a bit of everything in order to survive !!!!

it means a lot when people take the time to comment. and im glad i am not the only one who feels that the multiclassing issue should be addressed.

as for the animal companion, i tried to keep it as non-mystical as possible. i also did a little math and unless epic levels are allowed not many people will get past the fifth level of the feat as written.

any ideas?

game designer wannabe ray
8)

We do have multiclass characters in our game now. Our mechanic is as follows. The 2 classes stack normally with the 1 limitation of the character not recieving the 'free feat' offered by the second class. The free feat is treated as an innate ability of the starting class but all feats from a second class, except those given by specials must be learned normally.

FuryMaster

Back