Mistakes in the Galactic Guide

Pauly_D

Mongoose
not meaning to be picky about specific details but there were a few mistakes

1-Markab not Markar
2-Ch'Lonas not Ch'Lon
3-Utriel is the Dead World (not Tirolus)
4-Mitoc isnt actually a dead world (a lot of the Mitoc were killed but it isnt a dead world)
5-Latig is a Dead World (the Dilgar dropped Staffords Plague on it)
6-Zander is a Dead World (we know this from Crusade)
7-Altair isnt on the Map (although a lot of colonies arent on it, this one should be bearing in mind the important part it played in the Dilgar War)
8-also i was disappointed not to see part of a map of the systems Spinward of Centauri/Minbari space

also a mistake in the 2258 map
Gamma 7 is owned by the Gaim (but later it was captured by Brakiri forces)[/b]

Number 8 can be explained as not wanting to loosely define what an area of space looks like until someone's going to write about it properly. As it would have to be pretty much invented from scratch it'd be better to do it as one project rather than throw some systems onto the map now and lumber the author of hypothetical "spinward galactic guide supplement" with a ready-made map that might not suit what they want to invent on it.

Pauly_D said:
not meaning to be picky about specific details but there were a few mistakes

1-Markab not Markar
2-Ch'Lonas not Ch'Lon
3-Utriel is the Dead World (not Tirolus)
4-Mitoc isnt actually a dead world (a lot of the Mitoc were killed but it isnt a dead world)
5-Latig is a Dead World (the Dilgar dropped Staffords Plague on it)
6-Zander is a Dead World (we know this from Crusade)
7-Altair isnt on the Map (although a lot of colonies arent on it, this one should be bearing in mind the important part it played in the Dilgar War)
8-also i was disappointed not to see part of a map of the systems Spinward of Centauri/Minbari space

also a mistake in the 2258 map
Gamma 7 is owned by the Gaim (but later it was captured by Brakiri forces)[/b]

1 and 2) Author error.

3)This comes from the core map in the main rulebook, as well at the Abbai description in the League book.

4)Mitoc is shown as a dead world in the core book, so I noted the survivors fled the world after the Dilgar war to take up residence on Krish.

5)Latig isn't shown as dead on the core map, so I established that it had been repopulated after the plague.

6)The text in the GG notes Dureena is the only survivor of Zander. The core map shows it as a minor race homeworld, which it was in 2258; I don't know what the map in the GG shows, since I haven't got my author's copy.

7 and 8 ) I only documented worlds on the map in the core book. Other worlds mentioned in the AOG supplements but not on the map might show up in future products, such as a hypothetical Dilgar War sourcebook. Also, expansion 'off the map' has a lot of issues...the further away you get from the core worlds and systems, the more it stops being Babylon 5 and starts being 'some generic sci-fi game'. Obviously, space doesn't end at the map's borders, but given how much there is still to cover within the 'documented' regions, I think adding in more worlds would not add much. I'd rather see the existing setting, which is pretty large, developed deeper. That's my personal opinion, NOT a statement of Mongoose policy or publication plans. Nor should it be taken as reticence to work on a 'new worlds' supplement, should the opportunity arise. :)

I must apologise for Pauly_D's outburst. It is impressive as he has said all this from memory of getting a look at my copy this afternoon in travelling Man in Bristol.

That boy must have a photographic memory or something!

LBH

mthomason said:
Number 8 can be explained as not wanting to loosely define what an area of space looks like until someone's going to write about it properly. As it would have to be pretty much invented from scratch it'd be better to do it as one project rather than throw some systems onto the map now and lumber the author of hypothetical "spinward galactic guide supplement" with a ready-made map that might not suit what they want to invent on it.

the spinward map wouldnt have to be invented there is already a very good map (in the Wars of Centauri Republic book)

also
Lizard said:
3)This comes from the core map in the main rulebook, as well at the Abbai description in the League book

then the main rulebook and the league book are incorrect
when the Dilgar invaded Abbai they found Tirolus had been mostly abondoned by the Abbai but the Abbai were building a Pirocia Starbase in orbit around Utriel, the Dilgar could not get near enough to the partially completed Pirocia to destroy it so they used their mass drivers to bombard the planet killing the plants at the bottom of the food chain and destroying the Abbai cities forcing them into the water. This eventually led to starvation due to the loss of the plants so the abbai could not live their
and GG says Xander is a minor race homeworld but this map is after the shadow war (i do agree with what you were saying about it being a minor race homeworld in 2258 because it was then)

lastbesthope said:
I must apologise for Pauly_D's outburst. It is impressive as he has said all this from memory of getting a look at my copy this afternoon in travelling Man in Bristol.

i only remember anything to do with B5, my memory is filled with B5 knowledge there is just to room in my memory for anything that isnt B5

lastbesthope said:
Is it just me or do toher people think Pauly has to get out more?

:lol:

And coming from me that's serious!

how did you think i managed to win the B5 trivia quiz?

In writing the guide, I tried to be consistent with, firstly, the show and the canon novels. Those are the only true canon. Secondly, I tried to coordinate with AOG and previous Mongoose material, explaining discrepencies if I could and favouring Mongoose if I couldn't. (The source canon is not entirely consistent, either, but you do what you can...)

Lizard said:
6)The text in the GG notes Dureena is the only survivor of Zander. The core map shows it as a minor race homeworld, which it was in 2258; I don't know what the map in the GG shows, since I haven't got my author's copy.

In the Crusade ep, "Patterns of the Soul", a hundred or so of people from Zander (Zanderians?) are found on Theta 9. They are more susceptible to the plague than humans and Dr. Chambers estimated that they had a year to live. Since jms has said that the show wasn't about the plague and the plague would be solved well before the fourth season - with fan speculation saying as early as the second season based on where the final season one script moved the story arc. So Dureena's people could have survived the plague on Theta 9.

Kizarvexis
edit: corrected the first season ref to second season

Given a cure for the plague, they could make it an undead world, and I'm sure the ISA would be happy to help them try and restart some form of society.

LBH

lastbesthope said:
Given a cure for the plague, they could make it an undead world, and I'm sure the ISA would be happy to help them try and restart some form of society.

LBH

With 101 or so people (at best) on the world, I think it would be hard to call it a living world. Especially after the Drakh flattened everything with the planet killer.

Kizarvexis

The definition of dead world isn't consistent in the GG. Some of the dead worlds are airless balls of rock, but with some population; some are completely dead ie population and all life wiped out; some are just population dead. And some of those worlds are shown as living.

also another thing i forgot to mention earlier a lot of system have been moved around their owners territory
e.g Zagros was between Narn and Centauri Space but now is near Balosian Space

Pauly_D said:
also another thing i forgot to mention earlier a lot of system have been moved around their owners territory
e.g Zagros was between Narn and Centauri Space but now is near Balosian Space

Is that with reference to the AOG map or the one in the RPG rulebook, as that did make considerable changes to AOG map, which itself made changes to the original CE map.

Aside from the one or two little things which may or may not be incorrect, it's still a very good book, that will help any DM when his players just decide to take off in a random direction.

Overall : More of these please....

Lizard, some of us appreicate the book for what it is, keep up the good work.

Gambit

Back