Mars and Gettysburg

The 3+3 photon thing is also an option in FC, but I couldn't say how often it is used.

One thing to bear in mind when comparing the Gettysburg and Kirov/Bismarck/New Jersey is not so much about what each ship is in and of itself, but what each represents in the broader story of Federation starship design history.

The BCF/G/Js were built to the standard you see them, and served Star Fleet well in that regard; but in the long run, the ship proved unable to bridge the gap that emerged with the onset of first-generation advanced technology. (They, and other larger hulls such as dreadnoughts, are too large to be converted into true X-ships, but they can gain certain benefits via a series of "partial-X" refits, as detailed in SFB Module X1R.)

The CBs represented the most that the Federation could get out of the venerable Constitution-class hulls using the same technology level which had been used to first build them back in the Y120s. However, it was able to serve as a viable test bed for first-gen X-tech, and thus evolve in the Y180s into the Vincennes-class advanced cruiser (which has yet to be published in FC or ACtA:SF, but which was talked about in an earlier thread).

Indeed, the production of battlecruisers dried up completely once the Vincennes-class proved its worth, with the latter class taking its place in the Federation production schedule.

So, it may be a case of deciding which view of things you may prefer to follow. The BCHs are, individually, larger and more powerful than the CBs, though we'll have to see which coms out as more effective in terms of point cost in this game system. But even so, the Kirov represents the "last hurrah" of what the "modern" era of technology could do in the cruiser category; it is the Gettysburg which hints at the advanced era to come.

(But then, if we ever get X-ships in ACtA:SF, I would imagine the CX would get a dedicated miniature by then anyway. So you could have a CA, CC, CB, and CX lined up one by one, to show the gradual design evolution of that fabled ship class.)

Nerroth said:
The 3+3 photon thing is also an option in FC, but I couldn't say how often it is used.

(But then, if we ever get X-ships in ACtA:SF, I would imagine the CX would get a dedicated miniature by then anyway. So you could have a CA, CC, CB, and CX lined up one by one, to show the gradual design evolution of that fabled ship class.)
I really hope that happens, just as that would be awesome :)
Now part of me loves the fluff of the kirov and sister classes even more,the fact they are in there twilight years and the general war is the last major conflict where they will be effective/in their glory period.
I'm going to use a mix of both as I like them :p though I may get extra gettysburgs at some point :p.
To check, CX is basically the enterprise of the kirk era films right?

Zarathustra Suicune said:
I really hope that happens, just as that would be awesome :)
Now part of me loves the fluff of the kirov and sister classes even more,the fact they are in there twilight years and the general war is the last major conflict where they will be effective/in their glory period.
I'm going to use a mix of both as I like them :p though I may get extra gettysburgs at some point :p.
To check, CX is basically the enterprise of the kirk era films right?

I wouldn't necessarily say that the Kirov was in its twilight years in and of itself; the ship was first built in Y177, only a few short years before the Vincennes (which had been a CB) was turned into the first CX.

It was more like... the BCs were overtaken by the course of events. When the ships first entered service, few could have predicted that such a quantum leap in technology as would allow a ship like the CX to enter service was so close to being developed. (Or that the ins and outs of first-generation X-tech would bean that a BCX would be impossible to field.)

The same thing happened with the Klingons, too. The C7, powerful as it is, cannot be turned into a "true" X-ship. However, the D7W (itself an upgrade of the D7C) readily took to the new technology, re-emerging as the DX. So, while the C7 was a last hurrah for ships of its kind, the DX would go on to serve at the vanguard of the Deep Space Fleet well into the Y200s.

I suppose you could say that the future development of the Constitution-class forks in the road, with the Franchise take on things going in one direction, and the SFU edition running down its own path. So, while the first six movies had their refit, the SFU instead moves on to the Vincennes.

(And similarly, while the Franchise would see Starfleet move on to ships like the Excelsior, the SFU's Star Fleet will have to do its own thing, if and when we ever see second-generation "X2" hulls get committed to print.)

The light dreadnought felt like an X-ship should feel, though an X-ship would have even more firepower.

Any of the master ships lists and similar resources will give you a year in service date (and some of those sorts of lists are obtainable on the ADB website), but not sure if you can get an end of production figure anywhere.

Zarathustra Suicune said:
I don't suppose there is a list of the production years for all the ship classes anywhere?

You can find the latest Federation and Empire Ship Information tables (SITS) over on the Star Fleet Universe BBS (Star Fleet games dot com)here:

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Federation & Empire: MASTER SIT UPDATES:

Each Empire will have a listing saying "SITS Update", go there, click on "Empire SIT" sub-topic. Note, the dates can vary slightly from SFB, and there are no ending production dates.

As billclo says, the various SIT links are over here.

One thing that might be worth noting is that most of the "pre-war" hulls (like the Fed CA and Klingon D6) didn't look quite the same as the versions you see in ACtA:SF when they first entered service. The "Middle Years" (Y120-Y160) versions of the hulls were refitted into the "Main Era" editions during the Y160s or thereabouts.

(SFB incorporates these various refits into a single Ship System Display, with adjustments and point costs detailed for each successive refit. FC, in contrast, splits the "pre-war" and "wartime" versions of each hull into separate Ship Cards; so the Main Era Ship Card for the Fed CA is kept apart from the Ship Card for its Middle Years incarnation.)

Well there's a TMP announcement that the Gorn Reference sheets are up on Wargames Vault, and that went up yesterday - so I'm guessing that may have taken priority

Back