Long-distance Transports

You'd need service personnel, which would indicate a massive infrastructure to support that route, and likely regular trips up and down it.

As regards collectors, there's no downsides to them, like degradation, which I think is in Tee Five.

How do tou build enough ships to counter the Zhodani or Solomani at every world they could jump to?
You answered yourself...
The Imperium has effectively unlimited resources
So, keep a few thousand battleships at every world?
But then the Zho would presumably also have unlimited resources and invade with thousands of battleships?

No, the Imperium has limited, but large resources. It has to choose between battle squadrons and extra tenders.

I have had jump gates (which are canonical thanks to T4) allow for up to jump 36 travel from sector to sector.
They are? Must have missed, but then again T4 was 20+ years ago and since I had no active Traveller people to associate in the late 90's I only read them once or twice and those brain cells are probably long since dead or orphaned. Where's the reference?

The gates are relic era tech and are mentioned in the adventures Gateway and Long Way Home.

Once again I worry that MgT authors do not know canon in sufficient detail. :)

If you don't know just ask. :)

The gates are relic era tech and are mentioned in the adventures Gateway and Long Way Home.

Once again I worry that MgT authors do not know canon in sufficient detail. :)

If you don't know just ask. :)
I'm Pretty sure Martin does know it in sufficient detail, since he's been writing these at least since the turn of the Millennium. Me, I've got all of... probably everything in physical or PDF form except some Cargonaut stuff and some fanzine materials that likely aren't canon anyway.

Since you mentioned the sources, I went and found them. I have the physical copies, but honestly, since I wasn't gaming, just collecting when T4 was out, I'm not sure I did more than look at the Chris Foss cover art and page through them. They look (and even smell) pristine after 26 years.

And I'll take the smiley faces at face value (yes, that's two faces in one sentence... sorry it's been a long day). If I don't know, I do ask (as I did here). The bigger problem is when I think I know, but really don't.

Related -- Is there anything preventing a service from pumping pre-jump fuel to a properly equipped* ship using an umbilicus from a tanker so that the ship could use the tanker's fuel for the jump power-up (as with drop tanks) and jump with almost full fuel tanks?

*I imagine this set-up would require a special fuel transfer kit to get the fuel to the jump drives, but it could provide an alternative to jump bridges. The umbilicus is there to minimize potential spatial distortions and the 100D issue.

Related -- Is there anything preventing a service from pumping pre-jump fuel to a properly equipped* ship using an umbilicus from a tanker so that the ship could use the tanker's fuel for the jump power-up (as with drop tanks) and jump with almost full fuel tanks?

*I imagine this set-up would require a special fuel transfer kit to get the fuel to the jump drives, but it could provide an alternative to jump bridges. The umbilicus is there to minimize potential spatial distortions and the 100D issue.
The high probability of damage to the drop tanks would certainly apply to the umbilicus, so it might be considered expendable. I would think the ship receiving the fuel would require the equivalent of a drop tank mount to accept fuel at the high flow rate required (much faster than a UNREP) and allow for a quick separation. Also, whatever fuel might still be in the umbilicus (I don't know, 10% of the amount transferred?) would probably be wasted, spewing out into space as the jump bubble expanded and likely shredded the umbilicus.

So sure, why not, but it would as you say require a special kit on the receiving ship and result in overhead costs for the extra consumables. It would be an edge case, probably only valid for bespoke courier vessels crossing rifts with a large budget base infrastructure supporting it. And in those cases, it might just be simpler to build a set of jump bridges and use standard ships.

This has been a discussion point for more than forty years.

Drop tanks were originally destroyed if they were used and dropped.

Then someone said they were recoverable.

If a drop tank is recoverable then a tanker fueling a ship pre jump should be doable, if drop tanks are destroyed due to thheir proximity to the jump then an tanker would suffer damage and the the jump ship may misjump.

Making tankers able to fuel a jump ship changes the setting in fairly far reaching ways. No ship would waste fuel on jump fuel tankage unless they need to jump again in the destination system.

Every merchant would get rid of jump fuel tankage so it can carry more cargo and passengers.

Warships would be able to dispense with jump fuel tankage to have more armour, screens and weapons.

The Third Imperium setting would need a complete re-write.

Also, it occurs to me that, unless you use a Jump 6 to do smaller jumps (which seems rather a waste of having that hardware), the number of direct Jump 6 targets would occur on the edge of a large and mostly hollow hexagon. Very specific targets. I would think the most intense traffic would be between closer worlds, in the same way the London-Sydney route is not as busy as London-Paris.
So, I wonder if a humble Jump 2-3 on a massive ship in the end would be more profitable as it can be versatile and grab the most custom - especially for those clusters of worlds that seems to pepper the map not so randomly. Just a thought.

If a drop tank is recoverable then a tanker fueling a ship pre jump should be doable, if drop tanks are destroyed due to thheir proximity to the jump then an tanker would suffer damage and the the jump ship may misjump.

The Third Imperium setting would need a complete re-write.
Agreed, so it does not work, at least as far I'm concerned.

Also, it occurs to me that, unless you use a Jump 6 to do smaller jumps (which seems rather a waste of having that hardware), the number of direct Jump 6 targets would occur on the edge of a large and mostly hollow hexagon. Very specific targets. I would think the most intense traffic would be between closer worlds, in the same way the London-Sydney route is not as busy as London-Paris.
So, I wonder if a humble Jump 2-3 on a massive ship in the end would be more profitable as it can be versatile and grab the most custom - especially for those clusters of worlds that seems to pepper the map not so randomly. Just a thought.
According to GT Far Trader, most of the passenger traffic is between very close pairs of hi-pop worlds, or long distance between the big hi-pop subsector capitals.

In general J-3 or J-4 ships are the cheapest for transporting stuff long distances.

I guess J-6 would be reserved for express routes between the big, important hi-pop worlds, like e.g. Mora, Glisten, and Rhylanor.

I guess the main question I here is: Why would someone opperate a massive J6 ship and fillnit with other ships rather than cargo of their own? For the destination it would be hugely disappointing to have such a ship arrive in system only for it to offload a number of tramp traders.

Unlikely with a jump bubble: at best, you'd have to transfer ten percent of starship volume in fuel over a hundred metres in a very robust hose, within less than six minutes, and still give the jump drive time to process it.

And the starship has to jettison the drop tanks fast enough that they aren't in range when the jump bubble is formed, so it's a lot faster than six minutes.

I guess the main question I here is: Why would someone opperate a massive J6 ship and fillnit with other ships rather than cargo of their own? For the destination it would be hugely disappointing to have such a ship arrive in system only for it to offload a number of tramp traders.
Each tramp filled with cargo?

Each tramp trader is the cargo

A 200t type A would have to ship itself as cargo - costing MCr0.2 (plus the free trader is still paying salaries, life support, mortgage)

Each tramp filled with cargo?
A J6 ship would only have max 20% capacity for cargo, tramp traders have around 50%, so still knocking your capacity a huge amount. I would possibly design such ships with collapsible tanks so that they can increase cargo capacity if they aren't using the full J6 capacity. Each reduction would yield 10% of ships size in new cargo capacity.

The big strategic jump 6 tenders will be entirely dependent on drop tanks - it is a waste for them to use valuable tonnage on empty jump fuel tanks.
The original Third Imperium mention of drop tanks said they were being used in the Imperial core sectors for civilian merchants and to allow jump 6 xboats.
L-Hyd drop ships have only been in service for the last dozen years in the
interior, being made possible by recent advances in the field of capacitor
engineering, a joint press release explained. Commercial vessels equipped with the
new generation of long-storage jump capacitors carry jump fuel in specially
designed L-Hyd drop tanks in excess of their rated tonnage. Upon conversion of the
fuel to the massive energy required for jump, the drop tanks are explosively
jettisoned through the use of break-away connections and explosive bolts. Jump is
executed when the remains of the tanks are a safe distance from the vessel.
L-Hyd drop tanks are not reusable, and thus increase the absolute cost per
jump. However, experience has shown that the increase in cargo tonnage resulting
from the elimination of internal J-fuel storage more than makes up for this, the
press release explained.
The drop tanks were to be mass produced for civilian use at designated yards, but the locals of the Spinward Marches were not too happy to have more Imperial presence in the Marches. They sabotaged a drop tank liner and blew up the drop tank construction facilities...
Close on the heels of the joint announcement by General Shipyards and
Tukera Lines that L-Hyd drop tanks would soon be manufactured in the Regina
subsector, came word by express boat fromsthe Imperial core that a decision has
been made to deploy Jump-6 L-Hyd drop tank express boats on all major express
routes. Initial feasibility studies indicate that such a system could average jump5.5
per week by executing maximum jumps where possible, and leaving current xboat
units to disseminate information between the new major relay points. The system
is expected to cut communication time to the lmperial hub to under 25 weeks.
The Initial System Deployment Schedule indicates that the Regina subsector can
expect to be fully integrated into the network within a decade.

Last edited:
Back