Long-distance Transports

Robin Low

Mongoose
Okay, so the Traveller setting is enormous and the jump-6 limitation curtails movement somewhat.

Given that there are likely many people with jump-1 or jump-2- ships who want to relocate very long distances, perhaps quickly (for business reasons, fleeing war, avoiding Imperial entanglements, etc.), is it cost-effective to build huge carrier ships designed to transport scores (if not hundreds) of smaller vessels?

I'm imagining huge jump-6 carriers working along defined and very long routes, dropping off and taking on jump-1/2 ships (jump-3 if they're in a hurry) along the way.

Does something like this already exist in the setting? Or does the economics of it all simply not work? I defer to those who know the setting and their ship building rules.

If nothing else, such vessels would provide an interesting setting for adventures and roleplay.

Regards,
Robin

Yes, they are usually called tenders. Each tender can carry thousands of tons of cargo or smaller ships in lieu of cargo.

The megacorporation that carry bulk trade goods from world to world along the xboat routes/trade routes are usually at least jump 4. Imperial Navy tenders can be up to jump 6.

Again, thanks guys. I had a feeling this would not have been an original idea!

Looking at that ship example with its net, I'm now imagining an open docking framework. Less protected, perhaps, than the docking bays inside a shell I was imagining, but I guess cheaper to build?

Regards,
Robin

The big tenders are usually of the dispersed structure configuration, an open framework to which cargo modules and smaller ships can attach themselves, but it is possible to have an enclosed structure - think the Highliners in Dune.

At current Imperium technology, I doubt large jump factor six starships are going to be operated, commercially.

A lot depends on the trade flows and volume; other than that, you likely have to game the design to optimize cost performance.

J-6 is expensive, no matter how you look at it.

Even at a low price of kCr 10 per Dt, shipping a Free Trader a single jump would be MCr 2. I doubt the demand is enough to support a commercial shipping option for that.

It there are several jumps involved, just buy a new ship at the destination? A brand new Free Trader on a mortgage is a MCr 10 downpayment, less for a used one?

Or just furnish a cutter module with some staterooms, ship the module with you in it, and rent a cutter at the destination?

At current Imperium technology, I doubt large jump factor six starships are going to be operated, commercially.

A lot depends on the trade flows and volume; other than that, you likely have to game the design to optimize cost performance.
The Imperium has had military TL15 tech for nearly 400 years by the 1005 start date. Civilian TL15 has been available for over 100 years.
The IN needs to train its crews, so using its jump 6 tenders for civilian transport kills two birds with one relativistic stone.

Some interesting points. I suppose the question is this: do/can the pricing rules take into account economies of scale? I presume cost of fuel is the primary issue here.

Regards,
Robin

The only important thing is what do you want in YTU? (Your Traveller Universe)

I have had jump gates (which are canonical thanks to T4) allow for up to jump 36 travel from sector to sector.

1. Economies of scale would sort of minimize fuel costs.

2. The Imperium Navy could build megatonne tenders, in order to transport really large monitors.

3. But I doubt they would for a factor six jump drive.

4. Rather go for a prototype hiphop drive.

A factor 6 jump drive tender with drop tanks allows you a great deal of strategic flexibility.

Build a few 10,000,000 ton jump 6 tenders that can carry 4 jump 4 tender/battlerider squadrons.

The only important thing is what do you want in YTU? (Your Traveller Universe)

Oh, I agree. Once the games are in our hands, they're ours. That said, working within a defined set of parameters can be an interesting exercise.

I'm just imagining what amounts to a flying space city, a ship without a mission, just a journey, and what might spill out of that storywise.

Regards,
Robin

A factor 6 jump drive tender with drop tanks allows you a great deal of strategic flexibility.

Build a few 10,000,000 ton jump 6 tenders that can carry 4 jump 4 tender/battlerider squadrons.
Yes, if you have infinite resources...

The Tenders would cost a lot more than the battle squadrons.

Roughly a 10 Mt J-6 barebones tender would carry ~1 Mt of ships at a cost of, say, 4000 GCr? A battleship costs in the region of GCr 100?

Use of drop tanks would immobilise the tender after a jump, great for traders on scheduled routes, not so great for the navy...

Just build more ships and be at all the right places from the start...

At this scale, you would have dedicated fuel scoopers and processors along the entire length of the route.

My issue with the drop tanks would their fragility, because if you have paper thin hulls at that tonnage, they might not hold together.

Yes, if you have infinite resources...

The Tenders would cost a lot more than the battle squadrons.

Roughly a 10 Mt J-6 barebones tender would carry ~1 Mt of ships at a cost of, say, 4000 GCr?

Use of drop tanks would immobilise the tender after a jump, great for traders on scheduled routes, not so great for the navy...

Just build more ships and be at all the right places from the start...
The Imperium has effectively unlimited resources
The strategic tender cost is immaterial to being able to quickly move battle assets to where they are needed (no god mode)
No, you would use drop tanks or collectors for the jump 6 strategic tenders
Strategic tenders do not get near the line of battle they transport the BatRons from the reserve
How do tou build enough ships to counter the Zhodani or Solomani at every world they could jump to?

At this scale, you would have dedicated fuel scoopers and processors along the entire length of the route.

My issue with the drop tanks would their fragility, because if you have paper thin hulls at that tonnage, they might not hold together.
You would put lots of drop tanks in empty hexes...

Back