Lack of enthusiasm for Conan @ ENWorld

Iron_Chef

Mongoose
Why is it that there are hardly any posts about Conan on ENWorld, the biggest d20/D&D site online? In fact, if it weren't for me cross-posting some of my stuff over there (in the d20 and OGL forum---yes, under "Iron_Chef"), on any given day, there would be NO posts at all about this game active. Does anyone else think this is weird? Especially considering how much D&D owes to Conan and Robert E. Howard and all the recent talk at ENWorld about people wanting a new low-magic fantasy game and setting? :evil:

I'm with you Chef. I've been taking a peek now and then over there and wondering the same thing.

I guess I must blame myself a bit because I've sort of been mostly posting and reading here and over at rpg.net.

I did expect to see more Conan action at Enworld though.

Humm . . .

Here's the forum to post Conan stuff in:
http://www.enworld.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9

My ENWorld Conan thread direct link (7+ pages, 155+ posts):
http://www.enworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=76370

CONAN RPG reviews at ENWorld reviews:
http://www.enworld.org/reviews/index.php?sub=yes&where=currentprod&which=CTRG

ENWorld main RPG news page:
http://www.enworld.org/forums/news.php

EN World is very much enmeshed in the self referential ideas that now drive D&D. 3rd edition, sadly, doesn't draw directly on Howard, Leiber, Moorcock, or even Tolkien for the High Fantasy bits. Instead, it draws off earlier D&D editions, CRPGS, computer games, and pop fantasy.

And they don't want to see anything else.

Squide said:
EN World is very much enmeshed in the self referential ideas that now drive D&D. 3rd edition, sadly, doesn't draw directly on Howard, Leiber, Moorcock, or even Tolkien for the High Fantasy bits. Instead, it draws off earlier D&D editions, CRPGS, computer games, and pop fantasy.

I'm going to have to agree with you on that (and don't forget to add anime to the list), but if you said that on ENWorld, you'd have a firestorm of controversy on your hands, LOL. :p

***ducks and covers***

I do agree with Squide - I find it amazing how many people see D&D as a genre-unto-itself, with no need to keep in touch with its origins. One weird thing I've seen is the controversy over whether good roleplaying of character interaction should be allowed to affect the result of Diplomacy (etc) skill rolls, or whether smart battle tactics (outside the rules framework) should be allowed in combat... :roll:

I do wonder though Iron_Chef if your obvious enthusiasm for the Conan RPG doesn't sometimes come across as a bit excessive, and might deter others from posting on ENWorld.

S'mon said:
I do wonder though Iron_Chef if your obvious enthusiasm for the Conan RPG doesn't sometimes come across as a bit excessive, and might deter others from posting on ENWorld.

But... but... without ME, there would be NO Conan posts on ENWorld. I don't think that's a world I want to live in! ***sob*** :cry:

Iron_Chef said:
Why is it that there are hardly any posts about Conan on ENWorld, the biggest d20/D&D site online? In fact, if it weren't for me cross-posting some of my stuff over there (in the d20 and OGL forum---yes, under "Iron_Chef"), on any given day, there would be NO posts at all about this game active. Does anyone else think this is weird? Especially considering how much D&D owes to Conan and Robert E. Howard and all the recent talk at ENWorld about people wanting a new low-magic fantasy game and setting? :evil:

Because we post it here instead?

/wolf

Hey Iron_Chef,

One thing that might help is spreading out your posts at EnWorld instead of keeping them all in one thread. I sometimes avoid threads with too many posts, as they've usually evovled off topic.

Instead make it look as if there's a lot of Conan fans and things to discuss about Conan by creating a new thread each time you come up with more house rules and ideas.

You might also want to kick off a thread regarding the high points of Conan, rather than heaping house rules on people who haven't picked up the game yet.

For myself, I'm with Wolf, I use this forum for any and all Conan discussions.

TTFN,

Yokiboy

The ENWorld d20 forum is probably best used for discussion of particular mechanics that could be used in other games - eg Conan RPG's Fate Point system (the best one I've ever seen BTW, vastly better than the Buffy RPG's Drama Points), or the Conan armour-DR & damage system, rather than in-depth support for the one particular d20 game. So a thread on "Fate Points" might work, another on "Armour Reducing Damage", another on "Sword & Sorcery in d20", etc.

S'mon said:
The ENWorld d20 forum is probably best used for discussion of particular mechanics that could be used in other games - eg Conan RPG's Fate Point system (the best one I've ever seen BTW, vastly better than the Buffy RPG's Drama Points), or the Conan armour-DR & damage system, rather than in-depth support for the one particular d20 game. So a thread on "Fate Points" might work, another on "Armour Reducing Damage", another on "Sword & Sorcery in d20", etc.

I concur.

I regularly post on ENworld as Plane Sailing, and I love to read stuff about the Conan RPG. I don't post about it on ENworld for a couple of reasons -

1) I'm not playing it yet
2) I don't have the rules yet

So there isn't much for me to say directly.

The Mongoose board, OTOH, has lots of people talking about it and input from the designers... so it is not difficult to see where the most activity and excitement about Conan will be :)

FWIW I have found ENworld to be the most consistently interesting and friendly board I've ever posted on, and I'd love to see more Conan-related talk there. Perhaps if Iron_Chef (or others) started up threads titled "[Conan] fate points" or whatever and talked a bit about each of the mechanics which makes Conan special, it will instigate conversation. I'd certainly join in with those!

So will I be seeing you there in a little while?

Cheers

I used to post to EN world, before it was EN world. When it was Eric Noah's 3e site the year before 3rd edition came out, and maybe the first 6 months after it came out, I was all over that site like white on rice.

But, nowadays I can't seem to get the damned thing to accept my registration or log in, so I've given up in disgust. Otherwise, I'd be posting Conan stuff there too.

Squide said:

Brilliantly articulated!

I would post on ENWorld, although I never did it much, but I devote my time to reading and posting here instead.

DrSkull said:
I used to post to EN world, before it was EN world. When it was Eric Noah's 3e site the year before 3rd edition came out, and maybe the first 6 months after it came out, I was all over that site like white on rice.

But, nowadays I can't seem to get the damned thing to accept my registration or log in, so I've given up in disgust. Otherwise, I'd be posting Conan stuff there too.

Try going via this link:
http://www.enworld.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2

There's another older URL (enworld.cyberstreet.org I think) which appears to check out, you get to ENWorld OK only it won't let you register... Morrus has a sticky thread about it in Meta I think.

I first got into this forum after seeing posts on the d20 Conan list and references to it on ENWorld, but I don't read ENWorld anymore.

I am in total agreement with the posters who note D&D's current self-refrencing trends. I never played AD&D 1st Edition, but I played Basic back in it's last real iteration in theearly 90's and soon after picked up 2nd Edition and played it for many years. The strong references to fantasy literature and real-world mythology was a very strong pull to me. I'll still use the 2nd Edition Deites and Demigods as a poor man's mythology reference from time to time. The artwork was also very rooted in fantasy literature and real world mythology - you could look at a piece of art and see that it was referencing Norse mythology, or Celtic myths, or Greek myth, or Tolkien, or Conan...

But not anymore. Now, I don't know WHAT to make of the art. Too many buckles, leather pants, spiky bits, and just plain stupid looking outfits. And to top it off, all the "flavor" of the game has been drained from it. In an attempt to make it more generic, it has in fact become more dull, boring, and tasteless. I always wanted to know where the heck the Apparatus of Kaliwish came from, or just who Tensor was and why he invented his floating disk, or if Evard and his Black Tentacles could make an appearance in my fantasy world.

LIke some parody of the third-generation immigrant who has stripped themselves of their cultural heritage, D&D has stripped itself of the very things that created it - one of the strongest reasons why I don't think I'll go back to playing it any time soon.

Badelaire said:
LIke some parody of the third-generation immigrant who has stripped themselves of their cultural heritage, D&D has stripped itself of the very things that created it - one of the strongest reasons why I don't think I'll go back to playing it any time soon.

I have no real choice, sadly. My groups likes D&D and are trying to get me involved in two new campaigns -- a DragonLance :| and a Kalamar :) . The worst part is that there is more enthusiasm for DragonLance than Conan at the moment.

Iron_Chef said:

As much as I am a huge Conan, and weird fantasy fan in general. I'm mostly a lurker I read but rarely post. I've been a member of EN World back when it was Eric Noah's page and I don't think I've cracked 50 posts there. Primarily b/c someone has already expressed my thoughts for me and I don't want to add a "me too" type of post, so I just stick to reading.

There's an awful lot of folks out there who post all the time, it amazes me that they have so much time to do that. If I would attempt that I think my games would suffer for lack of prep time, I'm usually running at least 1 to 3 games at any given time, dealing w/ real life, and enjoying other hobbies.

You've done a great job at being our cheerleader for Conan Chef, keep it up!!

Terry

Old School Dragonlance still has a lot of appeal to me because the original three War of the Lance novels were ny first real introduction into Fantasy as a genre, and I have a many of the 1st and 2nd edition DL products. I've never been in a DL campaign, but I would play in one IF the DM used 2nd edition rules while incorporating a lot of the setting-spedific material from the 1st edition "Adventures" hardcover. Pretty cool to have a character's casting level rise and fall depending on the cycle of the moons!

S'mon said:

No offense intended to you, Iron Chef, as your enthusiasm for the game is apparently boundless, but I also find huge threads (mostly consisting of one person's posts) to be something I stray away from.

You might find more success posting smaller threads, more focussed on specific aspects, rather than a huge general thread.

Also, I'd second the words of other posters in that this forum is where I'd prefer to go to discuss the Conan game, as I have zero interest in D&D, Mutants & Masterminds, or many other d20 games.

Back