Judges Ruling is....(Linked Damage)

Are these answers on Linked Weapon Damages Sufficient?

• It's a Perfect Answer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Decent answer but leaves questions

• Not good enough

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dag'Nabbit

Mongoose
Dag Nabbit said:
This was originally posted in the B5 section, but I realized it would be better listed here.

OK, so what’s up with the twin linked weaponry on some vehicles? In several cases it seems that the damage changes by the number of weapons linked into the system.

Mongoose Bob said:
The weapons on each vehicle are different. Just because they have the sames names do not make the same weapon.

Dag'Nabbit said:
Should the Uni-Pulse Cannon deal 2d8 and the Lt. Fusion Cannon deal 3d8 points of damage? This makes sense to me as the Fusion cannon is supposed to be the stronger of the two weapons. As such the Badger would deal 2x2d8 and the Nial would deal 3x3d8 respectively.

Mongoose Bob said:
No, each weapon does a different amount of damage depending upon the ship it is on. It does not have to be consistent.

Rulesmaster

Computer Maxim for today; "Early to bed, Early to Rise... or you die"

OK, so this is the official answer. What does everybody think? Is this sufficient or are there questions resulting from the answers? I am asking because I don't have the time right now to go study the matter myself.

Poll attached becuase I'm curious as to the percent that is satisfied with this. Also, if you answer either "..but leaves questions" or "not good enough" then be good enough to tell us why.

PS For the basis for this post go to the Rulesmaster's forum and look for the thread titled 'Linked Weapon Damages'.

While the answer is perfect, it will not satisfy those who like weapon X to be consistantly portrayed in all cases.

The reason I think it's perfect is:

Weapon Mini-Gun:

Does 3d8 + 10 when fired from an A-10

Does 1d8 + 4 when fired by a person.

The 2 different weapons have different stats because they ARE different weapons.

I can realy see where El Cid is comming from. A fusion beam weapon of varying sizes or calibres would do varying amounts of damage.

slingbld said:
I can realy see where El Cid is comming from. A fusion beam weapon of varying sizes or calibres would do varying amounts of damage.

Also, I suppose it would depend on the powerplant feeding the weapon, different components, etc, etc, etc.

Chobbly

I do not agree. The two weapons El Cid compares are only vaguely similar, not by any means the same.

The A-10 uses a 40mm rotary cannon. It fires massive explosive shells.

The .22 minigun fires tiny pellets.

While the two are both rotary, that's really the only similarity. They don't even use the same mechanism.

If two weapons are called exactly the same thing, they should be exactly the same weapon. Which means the same damage per shot.

Yeah I had to re-ask the question on the other thread with an example that would get a definite answer. I saw the response and got confused by it.

I checked the rules help thread and the damage is listed per gun. So twin linked heavy laser cannons (like I listed in the example) would really friggin hurt.

Sundog said:
I do not agree. The two weapons El Cid compares are only vaguely similar, not by any means the same.

While the two are both rotary, that's really the only similarity. They don't even use the same mechanism.

If two weapons are called exactly the same thing, they should be exactly the same weapon. Which means the same damage per shot.

How about a 5 inch, a 12 inch and a 15 inch naval gun?

They are all naval guns, just different sizes.

We also have civilian and military PPGs which do different damage.

Or a 44 magnum vs a 38. They are both bullets and can be fired from a gun.

Or a 22 long vs a 22 short. They are both bullets and can be fired from a 22 cal. gun.

I don't understand your problem with the difference in the same "named" weapons.

Sidney

El Cid said:
Sundog said:

How about a 5 inch, a 12 inch and a 15 inch naval gun?

They are all naval guns, just different sizes.

We also have civilian and military PPGs which do different damage.

Or a 44 magnum vs a 38. They are both bullets and can be fired from a gun.

Or a 22 long vs a 22 short. They are both bullets and can be fired from a 22 cal. gun.

I don't understand your problem with the difference in the same "named" weapons.

Sidney

Again,
I hafta side w/ Cid here. A laser comming from a small crystal chamber & a weak power plant will do less that one that has superior tech & a larger power plant. Same with any and all weapons. Would you perfer they call them by thier manufacturer names?
Such as a H&K Hunting rifle rather than just Hunting Rifle? There are plenty of "Hunting Rifle"s out there that are not in teh same level of power but are, non the less hunting rifles!

Think of a laser as a pistol. There are different types of pistols. Different makes and manufacturers. Each pistol has differing levels of effectiveness. I see no reason why a laser gun, or fusion cannon cannot also have differing levels of effectiveness. Especially when those weapons are manufactured by different races. Even if the Technology was gleaned from the same source (ie, Narn & EA both got tech from the Centauri), each race would develope it in a different way.

So, again I REALLY have to agree that weapons of the same name can and do have differing damage ratings....

Slingbld~

The Official Guide to Babylon 5 CD-ROM classifies the lasers on the ships as 35mm/45mm etc.

If a similar appelation were appended the description of the weapon, that would help.

Of course the starship combat system in the RPG is a simplified system, compared to B5 Wars, so the Mongoose guys probably didn't intend to go into that much detail.

Uhh,

Okay, doesn't this fall under the whole, How many bolts does it take to build a functional Starfury? I mean the purpose of the Babylon 5 game is story, game mechanics are only there to drive the story further. Explicit rules when dealing with roleplaying mechanics diminish the storyline. The weapons does X amount of damage. Roll it, Move on?

Or does the game mechanic discussed here fail to support the story in some way? If so, please enlighten me. Because, if the mechanic does not interfere, this is a Perfect Answer.

PsyJack

You're right, the story is the main emphasis. The reason I put this here was just so that everyone who had asked similar questions before could see the answer, especially if they forgot to browse the 'Rulesmasters' forum. Also, I wanted to get a feel for the answer as I don't have a lot of time to do analysis on it.

But mainly I was hoping other people, like ya'll, would do enough work for me.

I agree with the differing damages for differing weapons. Caliber, sheer wattage, and individual weapon characteristics can explain away the damage differences.

So I am happy with the answer.

Back