[JBE] More Feedback Please (New Ship)

dmccoy1693

Cosmic Mongoose
Like last time, please ignore the text itself. I didn't even change it from the Kraft fighter. What I am looking for is: how readable is this? Is the text too small? Are the figure numbers hidden? Is the legend unreadable? Are the placement of the numbers unhelpful? Stuff like that. If you want to check over my math to make sure I have everything right feel free, but that should not be the focus since my editors have not yet had a chance to look over these yet.

cornathian-boarding-shuttle.jpg

cornathian-boarding-shuttle-2-r1.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Edit: FYI, I just caught a typo. It should be 24 hull points.

It's readable, but it can be better.

The title is blending a little bit in the metallic background. The same is valid for the other similar styled texts that describe the ship specifics.

The body text itself is maybe a bit too bold, yet still readable.

The text sometimes has too low contrast to the background, like the title and perhaps the darker blue in the spreadsheet.

I would like a Power Available box above the Power Req. boxes.

This is a rough mockup I came up with in around half-an-hour.

7a29cf0152.jpg

Your post falls to a few things that a lot of people seem to go for when they first start laying out pdfs and such in the rpg community. Namely a lot of textures, white-with-black outline, odd colour choices (inc. too much light-grey) as well as a lot of blue-rimmed boxes. It helps to only go two tones with an additional accent only if the colours acutally match. White and black are good opposites, as are black and white. Red goes well with both, as does reddish-oranges, darker blues and greens. Sky blue, white and stone grey isn't a very pleasant colour scheme to look at.

>Cornathian Navy Savage Class Breaching Shuttle + following text.

Minor nitpicks. Black doesn't look good on grey, especially if it's a textured background with a lot of black lining. Along with your body text (which I assume is a placeholder), I feel as if you are ESL, possibly German judging by the use of Kraft. It might be a good idea to ask someone you know who is a natural english speaker to go over your paragraphs as I noticed a lot of odd sentences. A better title to use would be [Name of shipyard] (e.g. FT Rockworks) [Class Name] (Viper-class, make sure to add a dash in the class name) [Ship Role] (Raiding vessel). You can then determine what the main buyer or user is in any descriptive text. "The Felthan Transcendency utilises the Viper class as ad-hoc privateers who gain income through the capture and repurposing of pirate ships in the Felthan subsector."

The slightly translucent white background over texture background is not unreadable, but nor is it attractive to the eye. The blue outline is arbitrary and looks very out of place and shabby. Its better for body text to not have much colour variation except to point out text (E.g. "No Denaar, please don't Drive us off the cliff. No!"). A simple dark-grey/black and white, or white on black is the best option in almost every case. Fantasy RPG's can sometimes get away with very light sand/tan towns with black text.

>The Art

The art is fine, but it should be made into a PNG with a slight white glow effect around the rims if its on a black background or with no glow on a white background. As for the deckplan, try to use White-with-black-outline text sparingly. It is readable in most instances, but grey-with-black-grid actually counteracts this effect. In general white-with-black-outline is not an attractive title use. It is better to have a black background with bold white text or vice versa for maximum readability.

>Ship stats
Same issue as the body text and such, too many arbitrary design decisions. Simple is better for the most part. Nothing here is unreadable however.

On my screen almost unreadable. The print is not readable on a laptop. Contrast doesn't work.

Nice ship though.

dmccoy1693 said:
How is this variant of a second page look?

~snip~

Good improvement. Its a bit muddled, but I believe that is due to the way you captured the actual page. If possible, send another version of that page but at full size so I can properly gauge readability.

The Fenrirr-inspired design is better, but I would question the choice of white text on black background. I have never found that to enhance readability.

I would argue that the bridge should be much further back, in case the ship comes in too hot, and starts penetrating the other ship’s hull; you don’t want all that jagged metal puncturing the “glass” canopy of the bridge. Better to mount it much further back. You might also want to add some gear, perhaps something equivalent to massive pistons, for cushioning the blow upon initial contact with the target ship. Some grappling arms might also be a good choice, for pulling the ships together physically, rather than trying to thrust it in exactly right; how effective that would be would depend a great deal on how stationary the intended target is expected to be; sometimes, it’s better to just ram... Speaking of which, the boarding party should have some shoulder-straps holding them in a standing up position in spite of the impending collision.

I really don't like the white letters on a black background. Every PDF should be layed out assuming people are going to print a page. Black backgrounds kill printer ink.

Rikki Tikki Traveller said:
I really don't like the white letters on a black background. Every PDF should be layed out assuming people are going to print a page. Black backgrounds kill printer ink.
Ditto.

I dunno about everyone else, but for the most part I find little value in the 3D isometric views. I'd rather more effort go into top-down deck plans with more details, or else external views. The low-res quality of the 3D imagery seems to take away from the visuals.

Back