James Bond

abrilt

Mongoose
Back in 1983 (yes I have been role-playing for that long - and longer!) Victory Games relesase the World of James Bond RPG. It was actually pretty good for the time and though if you were to get a copy of it - most would find it dated as the game is 25 years old. I have taken the time over the years to update the game and modernize it a tad (the original game had no skill for computers!!!)

In any event, upon reading the Traveller rules by Mongoose it occured to me that with minimal tweaking the Traveller rules could be used to run an espionage setting (please don't chime in about Spycraft - unless you want to just have PCs run around and shoot stuff and blow things up - in my opinion it is not a good system).

Travller's character creation could be used easily as character creation for a spy game - the career/enlistment information could easily be for background (what you did before being drafted into the CIA or MI6 or whatever...) - though getting a ship woud be odd :eek: and the connection rules would work nicely.

The Skills are pretty good already - some would have to be added and others dropped.

Combat works fine
Equipment is fine as well.

The only thing needed woudl be (instead of starship construction rules) special gaget construction rules.

Just a thought - but it could work.

FYI - since over the years I have tweaked and adjusted my old James Bond RPG to make it more playable - I have already decided to drop my combat rules (heavily adjusted over time from the orignal) and suplement the Traveller rules (though not 100% as the core mechaninc is different but I love the Minor and Significant actions as written!

Hell I may just do it on my own anyways when and if I find the time (probably when my youngest gets to college - 16 years from now :D )

Cheers!

Todd

So is Agent going to contain the rules for Seduction like the original Victory Games RPG?

We occasionally had that as a use for the "liaison" skill in original Traveller :)

abrilt

I remember Victory Games' James Bond game, with all the supplements in slim boxes! I remember too, the tacky pics of locations and decor that were touted as 'classy'. I think it must be the game that has suffered the worst ravages of the aging process.

Not a bad game though. Yes, I guess Traveller would be a good fit these days. At the risk of sounding repetitive, BRP would be good too. Or even Savage Worlds. In fact, I think there is a Savage Worlds fan conversion specifically for James Bond.

PrinceYyrkoon said:
I remember Victory Games' James Bond game, with all the supplements in slim boxes! I remember too, the tacky pics of locations and decor that were touted as 'classy'. I think it must be the game that has suffered the worst ravages of the aging process.

Tacky in the extreme... BUT with unmistakable class :)

Of the two I would favour the Traveller Rules if it were to be redone but yes, BRP would make a dashed good version too by jove !

"For England, James !"

I consider Victory Games' James Bond one of the best role-playing games ever published. I still use it with my fellow players, and it's the most perfect blend of rules and setting I've ever experienced. The flavor of Bond movies, even with more than one player, and even if Bond himself is nowhere to be seen for the entire scenario.

So if it ain't broke, don't fix it. And it is devoid of all this Craig crap, for which I'm so grateful. That's the reason why even if there was to be another Bond rpg, it will be without me !

I believe the system is the property of WotC and the licence has long lapsed so will probably never again see the light of day :(.

tbh I think Danny Craig made an excellent Bond and really brought the tales into the 21st Century BUT I also lov the previous Bonds

Pascalahad said:
I consider Victory Games' James Bond one of the best role-playing games ever published.

QFT.

As someone else said, the interior art wasn't great. The handouts with the adventures were excellent, the adventures themselves were great - playing through the movies but with a twist to suprise the players, the system was great - skill based, no HPs, with variable successes that were easy to calculate.

An the Q-Manual set a template for equipment books that is still followed today.

James Bond as an RPG has been brought up on here several times. Mongoose did comment that they had looked into getting the licence but there were difficulties IIRC.

Greg Smith said:
James Bond as an RPG has been brought up on here several times. Mongoose did comment that they had looked into getting the licence but there were difficulties IIRC.

I hear the Licencing for it is a nightmare - even for something as basic as Collectable Cards nevermind something as complex as an RPG

Do you mean a Monsoose version of Crafty Games' d20 based Spycraft? What's the point? From what I have seen, it is about as good as it can get with that base engine.

If you mean a generic espionage game with some other game engine then why not?

Back