Newbie question - End of a failed career

Armandrik

Mongoose
Good morning,

I must warn you that I speak very little English. SO excuse all the mistakes in this post :)

I have just started Traveller and have not yet mastered the subtleties of the character creation rules. I am describing the problem to which I would like to benefit from your insight:

The character I just created followed a creation path as follows:

1. Term 1 - 18 years - 22 years: pre-university career. Graduation successfully.

2. Term 2 - 22 years to 26 years: Scholar career (physician). Qualification: Yes. Survival: success.

3. Term 3 – 26 years to 30 years: continuity in scholar (physician). Survival with Failure.

4. Term 4: 30 years to 34 years: Rogue (Pirate) career. Qualification: yes. Survival: Failure.

Now I want to stop the career development of this character. I understood that she could either be in the draft or a drifter. I'm going to choose DRIFTER.

My question is the following: if I want to start the game now, is my character a DRIFTER but without obtaining any of the skills associated with this career or can I roll a SERVICE SKILL and roll for a skill from one of the assignments immediately without aging the character of another 4 year old?

Thank you for your answer.
I love this TTRPG... :)

Typically you complete all the terms you want before adventuring. However, your GM may have you start the campaign mid-career if he's wanting you to remain in the career (for example, a naval campaign where everyone is still in the navy). For your specific scenario, it's either all or nothing. If you start a new term, you must complete it.

Typically you complete all the terms you want before adventuring. However, your GM may have you start the campaign mid-career if he's wanting you to remain in the career (for example, a naval campaign where everyone is still in the navy). For your specific scenario, it's either all or nothing. If you start a new term, you must complete it.
Thank you so much !!!

Also, if you choose to start travelling after term 4, you don't pick another career, you just claim your mustering out benefits. Traveller isn't one of those games where your character Is A Wizard or the like; your past careers are just your stepping stones on your way to being where you are now (and great fodder for roleplay), not classes with consequences for game mechanics.

Also, if you choose to start travelling after term 4, you don't pick another career, you just claim your mustering out benefits.
Unfortunately in the given example only Term 2 would count as a complete full term for mustering out though, unless the Mishap roll says otherwise. And with no Advancement roll result given we don't know if Rank 1 was reached, so probably it will only be one benefit roll.
Even though the character leaves after Term 4 he will still have to make an Ageing roll.

Last edited:
Back